My sons are now 18 and 20, but the last year they were both in the troop, and I volunteered as ASM, participating in our troops' activities cost over $3000 for that year.  How much over?  I can't say.  I camped about 6 times that year, and my boys 8-9 times.  Summer camp was one week. NJ is expensive - summer camps within 3 hours drive run $400 - 450 per week.  

Our troop charges $15 per person for food on a campout, so that was $330, plus when the adult volunteers camp, we  split cooking and shopping chores for the leader patrol.  I cooked one trip that year, and shopping cost me about $75 more than the food budget (we like Angus beef and shrimp!) and if you stumble into our campsite you frequently find 3 dutch ovens baking cobbler for desert.

I towed the troop trailer for 4 of the 6 campouts I attended, at an unreimbursed cost of $100 per trip gas money.    One trip we hit a metal grate in the road and shredded a tire - cost of $250 for the Suburban..

Registration, $300.

Fundraisers - for sure.  We bought $75 worth of wreaths - each, $150 worth of popcorn, FOS donation...you get the idea.

I am not complaining, but these are the real world figures from a Central NJ troop that tries to camp every month, and what it takes to keep that happening.  I would do it again in a heartbeat - my kids are the best chefs in my neighborhood, and guests in my home are impressed they cook, clean up,  make their beds, get up on time in the morning without being called, always show up where they are supposed to be, and volunteer to work on our troop's Eagle projects.  Are they saints?  Not hardly, but they are darn fine young men, and I take credit for only one thing - enrolling them in the BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA.  Worth every penny.

Edited by codger
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My sons are now 18 and 20, but the last year they were both in the troop, and I volunteered as ASM, participating in our troops' activities cost over $3000 for that year.  How much over?  I can't say.

We talk about the cost a lot on our troop.  I was a scout in 1985.  Campouts were $20. I put $20 into a inflation calculator and today it's the equivalent of $46. Our average troop monthly campin

I wasn't intending any bashing either.  Like @FireStone I often hear the comments that 'Scouting is expensive"- but like any organized activity, there is going to be costs and the cost of a full year,

Cost is extremely variable as choices can significantly increase basic costs. At one time being thrifty was significantly more important than it is now. Gear was made, not bought. Monthly camping was low impact on some piece of property with zero amenities. Gear was carried on the scouts back, not in trailers. Summer camp was extended versions of weekend trips. Times have changed and our culture is more buy it not build it, pay for it not do it yourself. Scouting has been infiltrated by some of it, but we have opportunities to still be thrifty if we want. It just takes more effort and time.

Fast, Easy, Cheap... you can only choose 2.

Well, here's one way to teach "thrifty". Each Scout pays(?) an amount, say,  $12.  The Patrol Treasurer (!!)  collects that and the Patrol then goes out TOGETHER and plans the menu and buys the food from THAT amount.  No going over.  Maybe get some stuff from home?  Three, four meals?   Carry in?   Not car trunk'd in?  

I marveled when my Scoutson first went camping with his Patrol. They went out and bought STEAKS and POTATOES and REAL MILK ( not instant), eggs, OJ etc.... , and THEN divied up the cost (Bank of Dads) .  When half the Patrol DID NOT (!!) go on the trip, the four Scouts that did ate ALL of the steaks....   

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, SSScout said:

Well, here's one way to teach "thrifty". Each Scout pays(?) an amount, say,  $12.  The Patrol Treasurer (!!)  collects that and the Patrol then goes out TOGETHER and plans the menu and buys the food from THAT amount.  No going over.  Maybe get some stuff from home?  Three, four meals?   Carry in?   Not car trunk'd in?  

It never occurred to me that food-buying might be done any other way than what you describe, with the exception of the whole patrol vs. the grubmaster going shopping. We all chipped in at the Monday meeting and the designated Scout carried a wad of cash around the store on Thursday or Friday while his parents waited in the car.

My first time buying for my patrol was nerve-wracking. Was that the right kind of hot chocolate? What type of milk? Did I get enough eggs? What brand of bread? (The guys who preferred white over wheat were greviously disappointed by my pick.) So much pressure! :)

Food has become very interesting as a group activity. Food allergies, food intolerances, vegan, kosher, organic  ... we might be moving to a model where everyone just brings their own food. BSA should get with the times and change requirement from cook for your troop/patrol to cook for yourself. It's getting too expensive to accommodate all these needs even if you split them. 

We talk about the cost a lot on our troop. 

I was a scout in 1985.  Campouts were $20. I put $20 into a inflation calculator and today it's the equivalent of $46. Our average troop monthly camping trip is about $30.

I thought that was interesting.

• Upvote 2

That is interesting but the problem is everything has become expensive. When I was a kid, we toured the northeast and southeast on fantastic family summer vacations for free except for the cost of gas and a cheap hotel room. One year we went to FLA and had to pay to get into Disney world. To do the same thing now is thousands of dollars. It's not just scouts, it's everything. Because of insurance liability, informal arrangements that are free are almost nonexistent. Things you never had to account for in a cost calculator now have a price.  Oh, we did have one expense when we drove to Florida in June. In our un-air conditioned car, my dad's beloved and (then) pricey wristwatch crystal cracked due to the heat and humidity, so we had to chalk up $40 to fix it to that vacation when we got home,  lol. 

2 hours ago, yknot said:

That is interesting but the problem is everything has become expensive. When I was a kid, we toured the northeast and southeast on fantastic family summer vacations for free except for the cost of gas and a cheap hotel room. One year we went to FLA and had to pay to get into Disney world. To do the same thing now is thousands of dollars. It's not just scouts, it's everything. Because of insurance liability, informal arrangements that are free are almost nonexistent. Things you never had to account for in a cost calculator now have a price.  Oh, we did have one expense when we drove to Florida in June. In our un-air conditioned car, my dad's beloved and (then) pricey wristwatch crystal cracked due to the heat and humidity, so we had to chalk up $40 to fix it to that vacation when we got home,  lol. 

I'm not sure I agree.  Yes, many things are more expensive - yes.  But, many are not.  

I think it's a fundamental part of the law for a Scout to be thrifty.  It's important for the Scouts to learn how to spend efficiently.  I 100% agree.  

But, I find that as a whole, we offer a pretty cost effective offering for youth.  Our summer camps are some of the least expensive.  Monthly events are pretty reasonable.  Dues at $100 a year are not that much.  My cable bill is $100 a month.  My cell phone $200.  Scouts is pretty reasonable by comparison.

I'm not pushing back on your point.  It's just I've watched the troop committee be paralyzed over an $8 dollar a year dues increase.  I've watched kids camp with old ratty equipment because folks were afraid to spend to replace it.

I just think as Scouting units, we need to be thrifty and respectful, but we need to spend what we need to spend to run great programs.

On 6/13/2018 at 11:38 PM, shortridge said:

@oldbuzzard, is this camp owned and operated by your troop, or by your local council?

Troop. Our camp predates any of the council camps and in fact the first Camp Director  for our biggest/earliest Council camp was CD at our camp previously so there is weird overlap in traditions.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, Saltface said:

Generally, yes. There are some improved sites that charge (normally run by a concessionaire) and certain wilderness areas that require a permit/fee. The same goes for state land.

I must be spoiled. The only campsite we have to pay for is at our council’s summer camp. 

Funny, because for us the only campsite we don't have to pay for is the Council's camp outside of summer camp. Different experiences in different places!