Unit milestone anniversary - What to do?

4 hours ago, qwazse said:

So, if you don't use standard issue sheets for uniform inspection, have you done a technically correct inspection?

Well, is there any policy stating you have to use the Scout Shop-issued inspection sheets to conduct a "correct" inspection? If I have the Guide to Awards and Insignia on hand to check all the parts of a uniform during my inspection, do I need that paper at all, or do I not have all the material I need right there? 

Proper inspections are conducted based on following the established uniform guidelines and policies. You don't need the form to do that.

Back to the topic, if your meeting location allows for it, you could perhaps look into getting a plaque or certificate made that commemorates your unit's achievement. They needn't be expensive either; if anybody has good wood-burning skills or access to a high-quality printer, you can have something lovely produced quite inexpensively.

Edited by The Latin Scot

When my group turned 100 a few years ago we organised a reunion of as many old boys as we could. We ploughed through old records, put up posters in the local library and churches, advertised in the local newspapers. We ended up with quite a collection of them! Best of all one of them volunteered to go back as an ASL.

In terms of something to keep we did a special edition group t-shirt.

• Upvote 1
On 6/11/2018 at 8:59 PM, qwazse said:

Bonus points: find someone who was in the pack 75 years ago. See if he's in a position to pay a visit.

I forget which requirement it was for, but when I was a Tiger Cub leader, I had a Cub Scout from 1941 visit the meeting.  He wasn't from the same pack, but it was still a big hit with the kids.  And later, when chatting with someone at Roundtable, I learned that he had been a member of the pack, and I'm sure he would have been happy to come back and tell about what it was like back in the day. 

For a Boy Scout troop, I would encourage one or more of the scouts to work on Scouting Heritage Merit Badge.  One of the requirements is to prepare a history of the unit, and this would be a good time to do it.

• Upvote 2
On 6/14/2018 at 1:09 PM, Cambridgeskip said:

When my group turned 100 a few years ago we organised a reunion of as many old boys as we could. We ploughed through old records, put up posters in the local library and churches, advertised in the local newspapers. We ended up with quite a collection of them! Best of all one of them volunteered to go back as an ASL.

Love this idea. Definitely going on my list of suggestions. I know the town has a pretty rich scouting history, some names on the original charter are family names that are still around town. Probably could find a good number of people in the area with past affiliations with the unit, alumni, etc. 

8 hours ago, clemlaw said:

I forget which requirement it was for, but when I was a Tiger Cub leader, I had a Cub Scout from 1941 visit the meeting.  He wasn't from the same pack, but it was still a big hit with the kids.  And later, when chatting with someone at Roundtable, I learned that he had been a member of the pack, and I'm sure he would have been happy to come back and tell about what it was like back in the day. 

For a Boy Scout troop, I would encourage one or more of the scouts to work on Scouting Heritage Merit Badge.  One of the requirements is to prepare a history of the unit, and this would be a good time to do it.

What a FABULOUS idea!!! Our Pack and Troop turned 55 this year, and we haven't really done anything to commemorate that yet - I hadn't even considered putting the Scouting Heritage merit badge forward as a way to recognize our units' longevity, which is all the more embarrassing since I am the merit badge counselor for Scouting Heritage. :o

I am so glad you posted this, haha!

• Haha 1

""The work is done by whoever shows up.""

Definitely start the planning early.  My High School class tried to have it's 60th reunion recently, but couldn't get it's collective act together, so had it's 62nd anniversary instead....

Newspaper, TV, Facebook, media, Scouter Magazine, Boy's Life,  check Council records (microfilm !),  county council, State Legislature resolution, presentation to the CO,  special BBQ picnic party, lock in movie night("Follow Me Boys",  "Down And Dirty", "Boy Scouts To The Rescue" old serial,  )),  invite old alumnae,  invite YOUNG alumnae, special necker, t-shirt, patch, exhibit in the local library/museum,  present Unit Flag/banner to (?) somebody, 

Any excuse for a party, right ?

• Upvote 1