Unit milestone anniversary - What to do?

A nearby Pack is celebrating 75 years under the same charter and CO this fall. In discussing it with one of their committee members I asked them if they were doing anything special to mark the occasion. His response was, "I have no idea. Any suggestions?" To which I also had no ideas and only could offer this suggestion: "I think there's a uniform patch for that." 

What do units typically do for these big milestone anniversaries? After giving it a little more thought I was thinking maybe a special patch (not just the 75 bar, something custom-designed) for the uniform pocket (or backpack or jacket, etc). Maybe a picnic or some sort of celebration. 

Has your unit ever celebrated a big anniversary? What did you do?

Usually I see some sort of celebration.  A picnic or dinner where alumni are invited back.

I love the idea of a custom necker from the event.  Lots of events have patches - fewer have a special necker.

Rather then emphasis on the Cubs… recognize the Chartered Organization with a certificate or plaque presentation from the Pack or District.  Do this at an already scheduled event Pack Meeting, Blue & Gold Dinner, etc rather add another event and increase the time demands on people.  Be sure to arrange write up in the appropriate newsletters, bulletins and newspaper.  

Keep any insignia or neckerchief within BSA rules which might preclude a neckerchief for Cub Scouts. As the budget permits, a practical memento would be pack numerals with veteran bar (cost $6-$8)  https://www.scoutshop.org/three-digit-custom-unit-numeral-with-veteran-bar-10413.html or the Anniversary Bar ($1.29) https://www.scoutshop.org/75-year-veteran-unit-bar-emblem-107.html.

• Upvote 2

My unit is 55 years old this year; we haven't done much to celebrate it yet (and we did nothing for our 50th anniversary), but I am pushing to commemorate the milestone at the next Court of Honor or something at least. I already have my 55-year veteran unit bar sewn on to my uniform; my hope is to procure a bunch of them so we can distribute them to all the boys and leaders before the end of the summer.

For my unit's 50th we had a big catered banquet with plenty of alumni coming back. Photos were taken of all of the scoutmasters over the years and the generations of scouts as well. Throughout that year we also had different neckerchiefs to celebrate that we wore from Jan. 1 - Dec. 31.

Edited by Drastent

We created a custom troop number patch that was distributed to all boys and adults at a court of honor.

It is a nice patch, but only about half the boys wear them on their uniforms. I suspect many were lost.

These custom troop numbers are available for order at patchtown.com

Patchtown.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have seen variations of those on many sites - boyscoutstore.com, classb.com, et cetera. I know you can get custom numerals with the veteran unit bar incorporated into the patch itself. The one above is nice too, but are they technically acceptable since they aren't standard issue? :mellow:

If you're thinking patch - id talk with the council about a custom council patch.  I've seen Wood Badge and other events have them - why not a units 75th anniversary.  There are not many of those.

20 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

The one above is nice too, but are they technically acceptable since they aren't standard issue?

Probably not technically correct per regulations, but who cares?

21 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

I have seen variations of those on many sites - boyscoutstore.com, classb.com, et cetera. I know you can get custom numerals with the veteran unit bar incorporated into the patch itself. The one above is nice too, but are they technically acceptable since they aren't standard issue? :mellow:

I think councils can approve them

Our troop provides all the default neckers(folks can use Gray Wolf or Eagle neckers if they want). We have red neckers for scouts crossing over, blue for after certain conditions, and green for leadership. All of these neckers still have a pentagonal patch on the point celebrating the troops 75th anniversary in 2004. 

On June 12, 2018 at 6:07 PM, The Latin Scot said:

Well, isn't the definition of integrity what you do when nobody is watching? And following that logic, when nobody else cares?

So, if you don't use standard issue sheets for uniform inspection, have you done a technically correct inspection?

As for the unit numerals not being issued by the scoutshop, the IG does not specifically speak against ordering privately designed patches. It only lists the designs available through the scout shop.

Edited by qwazse