Why Not Girl Guides?

11 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

“A program for girls ages 11 to 17 will be introduced in 2019. Details will be announced later this year."

Implied in this statement was that it would be an additional / separate program for girls.  "Program" means something like Boy Scouting / Varsity Scouting / Sea Scouting / Venturing.  Call it BSA4G or whatever, but, to most readers, it didn't mean gender segregated units (troops).

Again, that’s on the reader. National never said it would be “additional / separate,” from what I’ve seen.

8 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

“A program for girls ages 11 to 17 will be introduced in 2019. Details will be announced later this year."

That program is “Scouts BSA”.  I think there were very clear that the program for girls would be identical to Boys... they said that multiple times.  It would just be a parallel program.  What they also said (or at least implied) was that the existing program wouldn’t be impacted.  By changing the name of the existing Boy Scout program to Scouts , one could argue that is where they went astray. 

11 hours ago, shortridge said:

Do you mind showing me where BSA said it would be a separate, parallel program?

I looked briefly and found this: http://www.bsaonsc.org/familyscouting.html

Admittedly this is a council site, but the "parallel (separate) girl program for ages 11 to 18" is what National was talking about last fall.  I will try later to find something directly from National.  There probably are relevant links in discussions in this forum from last fall, but the content of the linked pages may have changed in the meantime.  

You can also read about the program options for charter organizations to sponsor units at the 11 to 18 year-old level. These options are: The current Boy Scout Troop model for boys ages 11 to 18; a parallel (separate) girl program for ages 11 to 18; or sponsoring both (separate) programs within the organization.

Girls participating in the 11 to 18 year-old program will follow the same curriculum and pursue the same rank advancements all the way up to Eagle Scout that Boy Scout Troop members pursue.

Edited by NJCubScouter