Just a hunch, @JoeBob, but did you get into much trouble as a youth? I'm asking because, well, I did and I wouldn't be surprised if you did as well. When I was a scout in JLT I was elected PL, had a great recommendation from my SM, and promptly led my patrol in a devious direction. Our patrol cheer was a bit ... salty. We had some 'tude. Anyway, I was called in to see the adults, who were all officers in the army, and was told to get my act together and was threatened with being sent home early. But my patrol rallied behind me and cheered me up. It was a great experience. I suspect the adults just figured out a language I'd understand. I vaguely remember they tried a more gentle approach at first but it clearly didn't work. ;)

I'm not at all implying anything about you, but I do wonder how many people on this forum had their share of growing up to do.

Matt, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I was a good quiet kid.  When I was young (Eagled in '67) corporal punishment was expected and encouraged.  My dad's woven Army belt would plow out strips of flesh.  The worst I ever remember was being given a pocketknife to go out back and cut a switch.  Too small, and I'd be sent back for another switch after the first one wore out.  Too large?  Just damn!

Although I was part of a crew that floated our DE's VW Beetle on Thunder Lake atop two war canoes (Flint River Council), I never got caught.

In college I was a master prankster. (Launching fireworks from the top of the locked admin building. Putting cows in the registrar's office and feeding them Exlax, streaking...)  In the Army, I had plenty of approved methods of cleaning out my pipes.

I think what you are detecting is my history as a debater. We won state a couple of times in High School and dabbled in college.  I do love to riposte pablum with hyperbole!

I have no issue with any of the current moderators, but I like that you and desertrat77  have linked up.  I like y'all's approach to boy education and involvement.

Thanks for your service.

JoeBob

• Upvote 1

Matt, you raise a good point.  As a youth, I too was in hot water most of the time.  School, church, scouting.   I was punished quite a bit, and frankly, deserved all of it and more :)

That background has helped.  When I'm working with scouts and trouble makers make their presence known, I have a pretty good idea of how to deal with them.  My mind's eye can envision 12 year old Desertrat acting the fool.   As you said sometimes that "more gentle approach" doesn't work and you have to tell them how the cow eats the cabbage.  A little wire brushing is good for the soul.  Other times I've found that sitting down with another adult and the scout in question for a chat helps them figure out why they are acting up.  I was the beneficiary of both tactics as a youth. 

Edited by desertrat77
23 minutes ago, JoeBob said:

My dad's woven Army belt would plow out strips of flesh. 

Joe Bob, I'm tracking.  My dad was a career helicopter mechanic in the Air Force.  The belt from his fatigue uniform was blue, and it had the same effect.  When I joined the AF several years later, I thought about it every time I put on my own fatigues or later, BDUs.  Same style belt!   PS Thanks for your kind words.

Edited by desertrat77

New moderators! Welcome to your new roles; I am deeply grateful for all the time and effort it takes to ensure we have safe, successful discussions, so please know that I am always rooting for you and happy to oblige whenever you have a request. Thanks for all you do!

On 6/15/2018 at 12:32 PM, WonderBoy said:

@MattR & @desertrat77 , Thanks for taking on this responsibility.

In my head I picture your recruitment going much like my recruitment as Cubmaster: "So... we noticed that you're coming to all the meetings anyway..."

Complete with the recommendation from a previous officeholder headed out the door. Congrats @MattR and @desertrat77. You'll be great members to the moderator team.