Breakfast burritos--favorite adult patrol breakfast

In my Troop, the adults (and SPL/ASPL) eat as a patrol.  Over time, we've pretty much standardized our breakfast for most campouts. Sometimes on Sunday AM, we will go simpler, but this is pretty simple. Our breakfast is usually breakfast burritos.  We make this as a one-pot meal, and more often than not, serve it without using a plate--we will use a paper towel. 

Ingredients:

Breakfast sausage in a tube (Jimmy Dean's is a favorite, but we have used other brands, we have used mild, hot, and maple at different campouts-maple is not a good combo, IMHO). Usually we use a pound for 5-8 eaters.  Sometimes we'll use half a pack, and save the second half for Sunday Breakfast, if we have only 3 or 4 eaters.

Eggs:  Basically, we plan two per person. 

Hash browns--either plain hash browns, or if  everybody tolerates onions, the potatoes o'brien (cut potatoes with onions and peppers). 

Wheat Tortillas: two or three per person

Grated cheese--either cheddar or mexican style, depending on if we will use it for other meals

Salsa

Cooking:  Start with browning the sausage in a skillet. While sausage is browning, crack eggs into a bowl, and scramble.  (if we do this for a small patrol, I'll often just crack the eggs directly into the skillet after the sausage is browned and potatoes done , and scramble in the skillet).  After sausage is browned, add hash browns.  Cook together until potatoes are done.  Then add eggs, and stir.  Keep stirring until the eggs are done.  Then remove from heat.  (while this step is occurring, get the cheese, salsa and tortillas ready).  Serve egg/sausage/potato mix on tortilla, add cheese and salsa to taste.

This is a fairly hearty breakfast, so a smaller lunch is usually enough. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here in Texas we call those things Breakfast tacos....  🙂  

We do similar breakfasts with a few differences:

• Pre-cooked bacon, crumbled in a bag
  • no potatos
  • Small tortillas, usually flour or corn

We pre-crack the eggs and put them into a nalgene, that way you just shake the nalgene up to scramble the eggs and pour it into the pan to cook.  

3 hours ago, mashmaster said:

Here in Texas we call those things Breakfast tacos....  🙂  

We do similar breakfasts with a few differences:

• Pre-cooked bacon, crumbled in a bag
  • no potatos
  • Small tortillas, usually flour or corn

We pre-crack the eggs and put them into a nalgene, that way you just shake the nalgene up to scramble the eggs and pour it into the pan to cook.  

We've done it with and without the potatoes.  Potatoes seems to be the preference. I've also done it with adding some green peppers and onions, but we have a couple of adult leaders who can't tolerate green peppers.  Didn't think about the bacon, but it would be a good variant. 

"""  throw it all in the Nalgene """" ?  ? ?   Whose Nalgene are you going to mess up?  And how do you cook in a Nalgene water bottle??  Or is there another kind ? Or has Coleman really come out with a campfire microwave oven ? 

49 minutes ago, SSScout said:

"""  throw it all in the Nalgene """" ?  ? ?   Whose Nalgene are you going to mess up?  And how do you cook in a Nalgene water bottle??  Or is there another kind ? Or has Coleman really come out with a campfire microwave oven ? 

I have a spare nalgene that I use for my eggs on campouts.  no need to worry about the eggs breaking in the ice chest.  It's sole purpose is this on the campout.

no it isn't humor, it works great.

I forgot there are big neck nalgenes and small neck nalgenes.  The bottles are nearly indestructible, but how would you clean the egg out of the inside?  Long brush, I guess. Eggs do not really need refrigeration for short times (days?) if not cracked, true, but why risk the contamination in a water bottle?  When I carried eggs, I decided it was sufficient (safe) to put them in a ziplock bag and cushion them well in a hard case.  I had an old metal lunch box that a half dozen paperboard egg carton just fit in. Put the half dozen in the ziplock, into the lunchbox, into the pack. Never had a problem.   Paper board egg carton was fire starter. Ziplock was used (sometimes) as a egg-ina-bag scramble (in boiling water, right?) .  

11 hours ago, SSScout said:

I forgot there are big neck nalgenes and small neck nalgenes.  The bottles are nearly indestructible, but how would you clean the egg out of the inside?  Long brush, I guess. Eggs do not really need refrigeration for short times (days?) if not cracked, true, but why risk the contamination in a water bottle?  When I carried eggs, I decided it was sufficient (safe) to put them in a ziplock bag and cushion them well in a hard case.  I had an old metal lunch box that a half dozen paperboard egg carton just fit in. Put the half dozen in the ziplock, into the lunchbox, into the pack. Never had a problem.   Paper board egg carton was fire starter. Ziplock was used (sometimes) as a egg-ina-bag scramble (in boiling water, right?) .  

Yes wide mouth nalgenes, shaking soaping water works well to clean it, a bottle brush is even better.   We keep the nalgene in the cooler, I would rather wash a nalgene that is only used for eggs than the mess a ziplock bag the split and spilled eggs all over the place.

5 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

I think I would quit as a scouter if we didn't cook as an adult patrol for ourselves.  We like to eat good stuff and set an example to the scouts that you don't have to do simple things.

I agree with that 100%. 

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 9:26 AM, perdidochas said:

In my Troop, the adults (and SPL/ASPL) eat as a patrol.  Over time, we've pretty much standardized our breakfast for most campouts. Sometimes on Sunday AM, we will go simpler, but this is pretty simple. Our breakfast is usually breakfast burritos.  We make this as a one-pot meal, and more often than not, serve it without using a plate--we will use a paper towel. 

This was standard breakfast fare for our adult patrol as well back when I was out with the troop often. I'm sure they are still doing it.  Most of the time we cooked it up in a dutch oven. The bonus with that was that you could take the lid off the dutch and put it handle side down on a few coals and it would make a nice griddle to warm your tortilla before loading it. 

It didn't take long for the more observant scouts to see that our breakfast burritos looked more exciting than cold cereal or pancakes. It became a favorite item for them to make as well.