Adults having membership revoked?

20 hours ago, qwazse said:

The registration status of a leader was immaterial. In fact it could make things worse. Typically, scouters with lapsed registration are to cease all scouting activities until it is restored.

So, for example, if he signed in as a registered leader for the event when he was not on the roster, it's a problem. If he then ignored G2SS age recommendations thereby putting an unprepared scout at risk, that's a bigger problem. If this is the way you all do business, that's even a bigger problem.

Given the disconcerting revisions to G2SS, some of us patrol-method folks who rely on 18 y.o. ASMs are about to have tremendous problems.

Wasn’t registered as a leader at the event just as a parent taking boys. As for the G2SS age recommendations that’s just it they are recommendations not policy with a firm no they can’t attend. 

Here is what is seen. Every Council,Unit will have this kinda thing happening. There is no violation to G2SS or Youth Protection. The 1on1 or 2 deep was not violated. As long as the Leader has there own registered boys in the vehicle or a youth of age 18 there is no violation. 

This topic was discussed in Scout magazine a year back. 

Thats what is confusing about National decisions. 

7 hours ago, Trail_on said:

Yes! You did read this right those were the reasons given for there actions.  Also the other Scout was a bear rank and taken to the event. 

Knowing that it’s at times not a good idea to take younger scouts to events. It’s only a recommendation not a rule. 

The problem is National seems to not be willing to relook at this they state it’s final unless new information is provided. They blurred out there own rules to react to the Council requests Witch the Leader was able to back up all of his part in the event. The problem know is they would have to hold up to there ruling. The actions of this leader are done every month with other leaders. 

Picking scouts up for a meeting or even taking them home. Taking them to and from events.

It's often a challenge to analyze specific cases because it's often very difficult to understand why something happened without knowing all the details and talking to the parties involved.

On the surface, this doesn't make sense.  National deals with these kinds of things all the time - it is difficult to believe that they would expend the effort to revoke someone's membership because they simply transported a Scout to an event.  It suggests to me that there are more details here that are important, but we just can't see.

Stuff like:

• perhaps this was the tenth time this happened and he'd been warned
  • perhaps the parent didn't know the Scout had gone
  • perhaps there was an allegation made that something happened while there.
  • perhaps there were already concerns and the unit leaders leveraged this to advocate for the membership revocation.

It's of course impossible for us to know these things.  I list them only to think of things that might trigger this scenario happening - not to suggest your friend did any of them.

The only advice I can give is that if your friend truly thinks this happened wrongly, he should probably talk to a lawyer.  If the BSA national organization has terminated his involvement, it may take someone more official advocating for his case.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, Trail_on said:

They blurred out there own rules to react to the Council requests Witch the Leader was able to back up all of his part in the event.

The leader is a witch?  I think I might see the problem.  :unsure:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was involved in this and the problem we are seeing is that when the letter from Council and National came. Neither party’s stated the reason for the  decision.  Phone call to National reviled the reason to why they responded as  have been mentioned. Requested a letter from National with items and explanations. You all have been very helpful and will keep you updated on the results. 

I will add this was a one time  ordeal and there were no previous issues that affected this. 

The Leader/Adult had the permission of the boys parent. The boys parent has been on the Leader/ Adults side. 

Something seems to be missing here. There may have been other circumstances that you/we do not know. It may even have some strange council political aspect. It would not be the first time I have heard of innocent people being pushed out because someone has friends in high places. I wish it were not so, but it does happen. Normally it does not reach national revoking membership.

I wish you luck in weathering this challenging period.