• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update Easter, 2019 "There's just a real sense of loss, kind of a grieving process so to speak," said Roger Hoyt, a longtime Scout leader and Philmont's general manager. "But at the end of

as a first born son I'm getting a little nervous.    Should I mark my doorposts?

No. It's so dry even an electrical spark is enough there. Use manual hand tools, OR be prepared to put out any accidental fires you start. 

There will be impact on the 2018 season and program

This is a quote from the 3 June update on the Ranch website:

Program and unit information - as we assess the situation we will be working with our leadership and local authorities to determine the extent of program we can deliver and when. Please stand by for an update on this by Monday morning.

12 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

I get not building campfires in dry conditions, but is she advocating using saws that require highly flammable liquid and controlled explodes while simultaneously producing hot exhaust? 

I did not know that my electrical skill saw, jig saw, reciprocating saw, and chain saw where fire hazards.  I will need to rethink my electrical lawn mower, thank goodness my snow blower is gas powered.

No. It's so dry even an electrical spark is enough there.

Use manual hand tools, OR be prepared to put out any accidental fires you start. 

• Upvote 2
Ute Park Fire Update June 5, 2018 at 5:30 P.M.

Fire Update: The Ute Park Fire is currently 36,6644 acres and 25% contained. There are currently 598 personnel including 15 crews, 8 helicopters, 29 engines, 5 bulldozers, 9 water tenders on scene.

We can confidently confirm that unfortunately all Dean Cow structures were lost and miraculously, Harlan only lost one outbuilding.

Our primary focus remains the safety of our team and the management of the fire. We appreciate your patience as we work through this rapidly changing situation.

Ute Park Fire Info: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5820/ (air quality info, maps, etc.)

• Thanks 1

I would assume that with the wide swath of burn across the ranch, the sadly the remaining backcountry treks for 2018 (those not already cancelled) will at best be problematic

43 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

I would assume that with the wide swath of burn across the ranch, the sadly the remaining backcountry treks for 2018 (those not already cancelled) will at best be problematic

They will at least need to reroute some of them but it looks like that is their plan. Itineraries will need to be changed to unaffected areas.

Our crew advisor received a call from Philmont today.  Long story short, our new trek date is the latter part of July.  Same itinerary--for now.

Even if we're hiking through ashes, and programming is reduced to nothing, we're still going!  Gladly!

PS  Added:  sounds bizarre,  I know.  I was looking forward to going this summer.  The cancellation and second chance to go all the more highlighted my motivation to go back.  Plus, we live nearby.  We just have to throw our packs in the Hudson Super Six, and we're there pretty quick.  For those of you coordinating airline/train/bus transportation, you have my deepest respect.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 1

Another concern would be for those who need to revise their vacation from work to go. I know where I work at, I gotta plan at least 6 months out. And then I have to see if anyone with longer tenure doesn't have the dates already. It's been 4 years since I had the entire week of summer camp off. 

@desertrat77 

If you ever plan to motor west 
Travel my way, take the highway that is best

Get your kicks on Route sixty six 

Well, maybe not. Depends on how you want to travel. But you could see picturesque Amarillo!  No?  

So happy to hear that you're able to go. Might want to be sure your bandannas can be used as ash filters. And if you see a bear, it could be Smokey... 

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, desertrat77 said:

Our crew advisor received a call from Philmont today.  Long story short, our new trek date is the latter part of July.  Same itinerary--for now.

Even if we're hiking through ashes, and programming is reduced to nothing, we're still going!  Gladly!

PS  Added:  sounds bizarre,  I know.  I was looking forward to going this summer.  The cancellation and second chance to go all the more highlighted my motivation to go back.  Plus, we live nearby.  We just have to throw our packs in the Hudson Super Six, and we're there pretty quick.  For those of you coordinating airline/train/bus transportation, you have my deepest respect.

@desertrat77, I'm wondering when your trek was originally scheduled for ? Also was it a North or South country trek ? We're due to arrive early August for  a trek to include Tooth and Mt Phillips. While I feel somewhat comfortable with our timing and location, still a lot of uncertainty. 

I expect they'll do everything in their power to accommodate everyone, as it is still very much a business. Like you, we'll be happy to hike through whatever conditions they allow. I'm also expecting crowded trail and camps. 

2 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

Welcome to the forum 160voyageur!  Eons ago (like maybe 10 years) there was a frequent poster named LeVoyageur, but I assume you're not him.  :) 

I'm not, however that person could be from my unit. We've been chartered for over 80 years. Once upon a time our scouts traveled to England for the 3 peaks challenge. At the time they started calling themselves LeVoyageurs. In recent years our troop dropped the "Le" and became The Voyageurs. Either way, glad I stumbled upon this place.