On 6/12/2018 at 9:58 AM, 69RoadRunner said:

Charcoal with lighter fluid in it seems to require more briquettes than the charcoal without.

You can buy pre-formed parchment paper at REI and I'm sure Amazon.

IMHO, charcoal with lighter fluid should be avoided. You can light charcoal just as fast with a charcoal chimney, and with less noxious fumes. 

Wal-Mart sells Dutch oven liners in their outdoor section. 

2 hours ago, perdidochas said:

IMHO, charcoal with lighter fluid should be avoided. You can light charcoal just as fast with a charcoal chimney, and with less noxious fumes. 

Wal-Mart sells Dutch oven liners in their outdoor section. 

Yes say no to lighter fluid.  Newspaper works great, the stove even better.

I just make my liners, very easy to do.

• 1 year later...

I learned from the team teaching IOLS up here about using metal pans (I found mine at tractor supply 'Beren's 3 gal') for holding the dutch oven while cooking. It keeps the mess to a minimum and makes clean up of the coals/ash much easier. I also use the CampChef lid lifter that has the trigger pull on it. https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-DOLL14-14-Inch-Lifter/dp/B003Z8YQAY/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=camp+chef+lid&qid=1565286864&s=gateway&sr=8-7 it's much easier to hold the lid and dump the coals/ash of the top.

I also use a Crisbee stick to coat my dutch ovens after cleaning. It comes in a deodorant sized stick and works well. I found it on Amazon. And I can't say enough about using chainmail, it works.

Mike

22 hours ago, Saltface said:

I second the use of metal pans. One chicken feed pan on top another (bottom to bottom) will insulate your coals from the cold wet ground.

It's also a good way to implement a Leave No Trace philosophy in your unit.  Building a fire on these metal pans won't scorch the ground and makes it easier to truly "leave no trace" that you ever camped at the site.