You asked, we listened. 

You will find, in the camping forum, a cooking and recipes Subforum.  There are no limits on technique; the last time I checked cooking MB requires home as well as field skills. 

Enjoy

43 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Maybe a separate Backpack Cooking within Cooking.

I'm game for that. Our backpacking experts in the troop both favor the premade, expensive backpacking meals that you cook in their packaging or in the bag with a coozie. They do not do meals from scratch, and now everyone in the troop goes that route.

On a slight tangent, coozies for backpacking meals are AWESOME! Used one my from scratch chicken and buttered pasta meal last trip I took, and it worked great.

48 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I'm game for that. Our backpacking experts in the troop both favor the premade, expensive backpacking meals that you cook in their packaging or in the bag with a coozie. They do not do meals from scratch, and now everyone in the troop goes that route.

On a slight tangent, coozies for backpacking meals are AWESOME! Used one my from scratch chicken and buttered pasta meal last trip I took, and it worked great.

That is unfortunate. There is a ton that can be done backpacking which is lightweight and much cheaper. Way less trash too. I am personally not a fan of eating out of bags. Some don't mind, it just feels wrong to me. My home dehydrated meals get reconstituted in the pot, I eat right out of the pot.

• Upvote 1
On 6/1/2018 at 1:20 PM, DuctTape said:

That is unfortunate. There is a ton that can be done backpacking which is lightweight and much cheaper. Way less trash too. I am personally not a fan of eating out of bags. Some don't mind, it just feels wrong to me. My home dehydrated meals get reconstituted in the pot, I eat right out of the pot.

My troop does what I call grocery store backpack cooking for the most part. We do have a few boys/parents who buy Mountain House or other premade, but most of us do it the cheap way. Everything we eat you can buy at the grocery store. 

For breakfast, we usually have instant oatmeal or instant grits cooked in the bag.  Just add water, and mix with your spoon, and you can eat either one straight from the paper bag that the single serve instant oatmeal/grits are packed in.  Generally, it's a good idea to have a bowl or cup to put the bag in, though. 

For lunch, we will do a sleeve of saltines with a bag of tuna or chicken or with some summer sausage.  Usually with some dried fruit with it.

For dinner, the two favorites are stovetop stuffing (don't really need a stovetop) and ramen.  We cook the stovetop stuffing in the bag, and usually mix in some kind of bagged meat (chicken is the favorite).  Ramen we usually cook by boiling water, adding the ramen and let it sit until it's soft, although the boys sometimes just take the ramen layers apart and eat them like crackers.  We've also done the Knorr/Lipton noodle sides. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, perdidochas said:

My troop does what I call grocery store backpack cooking for the most part. 

You just need to rebrand that as "Expedition Cooking". If the cooking and backpacking MB books with debranded generic Kroger and other grocery store supplies isn't convincing enough, get the "NOLS Cookery" book out of the library. It details how they plan all their trips, including the 30 day+ trips in Patagonia, using bulk grocery store supplies.

• Upvote 1