How Does Your Troop Transition SPLs?

In my Troop, we’ve only had like 3 SPLs because we have only been around for 5-6 years. I was wondering how does your troop transiton SPLs? I talked to the new one and gave him all the materials he needs, meeting plans, SPL binder, etc. I explained how to do everything as well, such as how to properly send emails & Remind messages. 

I want to help him the best I can, but I don’t want to do too much or less.

Brian, I think you've got the right outlook.  Give him the tools and be available if he has questions or needs a sounding board.  Otherwise, step back and let him lead.

It's been awhile, but I recall how my troop handled this when I was a scout.  ASPL and the SPL worked closely for 2 years.  Then when the SPL moved to JASM, the ASPL stepped up and was more than ready.  One of my jobs as the newest JASM was to quietly advise the SPL, provide feedback, etc.

The toughest thing:  give the new SPL room to fail at times.  Also difficult:  being able to admit "he isn't doing things the way I did...it's not wrong...just different."

Thanks for serving as SPL, it's not an easy job but it's an important one.  JASM is a new opportunity.  In my troop, the adults considered the JASM to be an adult.  I was expected to attend adult leader training, committee meetings, roundtables, etc.  They dealt with me as if I were a grown man, and expected me to conduct myself as such.  Also camped with the adults and visited with them over the week regarding troop management (this was many years before YPT guidelines).  It was a great job and helped me prepare for "the real world."

Edited by desertrat77

I can't answer directly since I was not involved with that process in my son's troop.  I can say that we were in many ways still "adult run oriented", and with that came regular elections on what I feel is a very short cycle....if I remember correctly it was roughly mid way through the school year.  Not only SPL but all positions changed.  This was done so that more scouts had opportunities for a POR.... seems good in theory,

but in my opinion you scouts should make the call when to vote or not...if the guy isn't doing a good job, THEN the SPL or maybe scouts in general will call for a vote... no term length limits on the low end or high, and no specific schedule for voting.

As far as transitioning....

In business I've never know really anything more that what you've described as a hand-off.  Usually not even that much.... the new leader comes into a vacated office and 'figures it out'.  My tact is this...and this is what I did when transferring my treasurer job too...  basically I think what you have done already.... have a short meeting to outline what you have been doing, your comments about any thoughts you have about what you would do differently, what really worked, etc...  IN my case there was some software to "train and practice for a bit", so we had a month or so transition where I worked with them before they took the job...It's all about just telling them what I did....NOT what they are to do do.

And then get out of the way and don't undermine, don't advise or jump in unless asked to, follow their lead the way THEY decide to do it etc...

and I think, IMO taht any incoming person should work a short period of time...maybe a week, maybe a month, or whatever, depending on the job.... just doing things more or less the way they were done by the previous person.  This is to better understand the why's, the players in regard to the role, and such...what I mean by that is this, for example you already know the scoutmaster BUT you don't know him from the perspective of the new job.

• Upvote 1

one more thought... in an ideal world (in my thinking) the incoming SPL would have served as ASPL.  Sort of like an apprentice, learning the job.  that would count towards that do things the way they were done time before you make changes.

...this would make for a more seamless hand-off.   But I don't see this as real world for most troops

11 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

The toughest thing:  give the new SPL room to fail at times.  Also difficult:  being able to admit "he isn't doing things the way I did...it's not wrong...just different."

This.  I'd add, your job shouldn't be to "help" the new SPL but to mentor/coach when and if asked.  If the new SPL asks for help, ask open ended questions rather than offer processes and procedures.  

You need to have the new SPLs back.    Be ready to say " Ask the SPL" when a scout asks where they should set up their tents for example.     When you have been the leader for two years it may take them a while to mentally make the switch.     

Make it clear to him that you stand ready to help whereever he needs it.     When I was JASM I spent a lot of time training the new QM.  Scoutson #1 worked mostly with the troop guide, and taught scout skills like Totin' Chip or lashing as needed.

Not all Scouters may see you as an adult just yet.   Try not to take it personally.  It takes us a while too.   

I gave the SPL a simple agenda guideline for running meetings. Something like 

-reading of last weeks minutes

-officer reports

-old business 

-new business 

-SM minute (which was rare because I didn’t attend most meetings after the SPLs first 4 meetings)

Our troop ran a 30 PLC meeting every week before the troop meeting, so he had a lot of practice. Program is fairly easy because he has been doing program since he joined the troop. PLC meetings are new for them because success requires the SPL to plan ahead, control the group, be organized, and delegate. Those are alot of skills to learn just to run a 30 minute meeting. And the success of entire program is dependent on that meeting.

So I started simple with just giving him the short simple meeting agenda to follow. Then I watch how he plans the meetings, runs the agenda, controls the group and delegates or follows action items and assignments. 

It seems like there is a lot more to the responsibility for the leader of the whole program, but he will learn how to lead, support, serve, and guide the whole program simply by mastering the skills to run a successful meeting. 

All those skills I mentioned are required for a successful servant leader and require practice to master, but surprisingly controlling the group is always the most challenging. The skills he develops as a servant leader in controlling and guiding the members of the PLC in the meetings will develop his skills in serving and supporting all the Scouts in the whole troop.

The agenda is a simple start for the new SPL, but he quickly finds it the most challenging thing he has ever done in Scouts. But it’s ok, I know he will struggle and I’m in no hurry.

Barry

Growing up, we did elections every 6 months. We allowed folks to run for reelection, so the PLs and SPL could have multiple terms of office. I was PL for a year straight. Friend of mine was PL for 2.5 years straight. As long as you were doing your job and kept getting elected, you were good to go. SPL was  trickier. Usually the SPL wanted a break after his 6 months. Plus sports and extracurriculars played into it as well. We had two guys essentially "switch off" as SPL and ASPL over a 2 year period. I say that because when one was elected SPL, the other was ASPL, then vice versa. They were elected, although if I remember the last election of the 2 correctly, the ASPL running for SPL was unopposed. He did a great job as SPL the first time.

Current troop use to do 6 month terms of office with no possibility of running for reelection. You had to take a 6 month "vacation" from the position, then run for it. But our last SPL did such a poor job, and  some adults were complaining the same people kept getting elected over and over again, that it was changed. Now the election cycle is 4 months. PLs are elected and still cannot run for reelection. They need to take 4 months off now before running again. ASPL is now elected for a 4 month term of office. During that time he is trained by an ASM and the SPL. At the end of the 4 months, he becomes SPL.

Why four months? gives more people an opportunity to hold office, and can be done to avoid sports seasons.

6 minutes ago, David CO said:

JASM is not an adult. 

Quite true, yet he is no longer in the scout POR  hierarchy.    There needs to be a separation, lest he willingly or unwillingly, undercut the new SPLs authority.    To this end in our troop we scouters invite the JASM to eat with us on campouts,  attend committee meetings,  etc.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Oldscout448 said:

Quite true, yet he is no longer in the scout POR  hierarchy.    There needs to be a separation, lest he willingly or unwillingly, undercut the new SPLs authority.    To this end in our troop we scouters invite the JASM to eat with us on campouts,  attend committee meetings,  etc.

I think this is a bad idea. YP still applies to a JASM, just as it applies to all youth members. Inviting the JASM to interact with adult scouters in this way might cause an adult to temporarily forget that the JASM is still a youth member.

Scouting is already a risky business for adults. No reason to make it worse.

3 minutes ago, David CO said:

I think this is a bad idea. YP still applies to a JASM, just as it applies to all youth members. Inviting the JASM to interact with adult scouters in this way might cause an adult to temporarily forget that the JASM is still a youth member.

Although I see your point, given the nature of our litigious society, the balance of risk is on the JASMs because they are the ones soon to transition, and this age 18 boundary is more artificial in their psyche. (It's not imposed at school, work, or dating relationships.) We train scouters on how to work with 17 year-olds and still maintain YP. That allows JASMs to transition to ASM a little more gracefully.

In my experience, it's easier to keep adults compliant (mind you, we are picky about who registers with us) than getting a "suddenly 18 year old" to cut ties with a younger scout whose been his chum up until age 17.99. I've received "the call" from an exec about such friendships and supposed incidents - all outside of scouting activities. I didn't like it. So, maybe I'm a little more sensitive than most.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, David CO said:

I am going to go off on a tangent here, but it is related to the topic: Do 18-20 years old ASMs need to have two registered Scouters over 21 if they are doing Scouting activities on their own, i.e. setting up a compass course for a troop competition? According to G2SS, ALL(emphasis) activities will require 21+ year olds after October 1, 2018 according to the latest update found here: https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss01/