One of my Scouts Passed away

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all of your kind words and wishes. This is one of the things I love about Scouters, we all have our opinions but we all stand together especially one something like this happens.

I appreciate your prayers and council. I am very thankful for having been a small part of this boys life and hope that I in some small way made his life a little better.

I was with Willie the first time he climbed a mountain, the first time he saw snow (we live in Southern California so its a big deal) and through many other experiences. The most memorable was my first hike with the troop. We started our hike before the sun came up, we hiked up the Santa Monica mountains right above Malibu. As the dawn began to slowly break we reached the peak. All of the scouts sat down looking down the mountain at the ocean just coming into light, the sky still had a few stars and you could just make out the moon in the purple and orange sky.

I took this moment to give a Scoutmasters minute (or several minutes) I spoke to them about the creation and the love God has for us. The proof of that love is in what we were seeing. For 40 minutes until the sun was bright all of the scouts sat in silence marveling in Gods creation.

I like to think that Willie is seeing a different panorama today but I imagine his feeling of peace and closeness to God is what we shared that morning.

God bless you all and thanks again.

John

Troop 90 sends its deepest sympathies. Many years ago we also experienced the loss of a 13 year old scout, and it is never easy. I also have to drive home every day past the cemetery where he is buried, so he is in my thoughts rather frequently event though this happened about 25 years ago.

• 1 month later...

My condolences and deepest sympathy go out to the family and friends of all the scouts who have died untimely deaths.

Apropos, there is a ceremony for lost arrowmen (members of the Order of the Arrow) called the "broken arrow ceremony." I strongly suggest anyone who has lost a fellow arrowman to read this ceremony. Go to www.scoutresources.org to view the ceremony.

Once again, my deepest sympathy goes out to all who have experienced such a loss.

John,

First of all my sympathy for your loss. Secondly, reflect on all the time you spent with him, the things you taught him about scouting and the joy you brought to his life. This will keep his memory alive and help you in your grief. Now he is safe with his Creator, the Grand Scoutmaster. Who knows maybe he is even showing Baden Powell himself the scouting skills you taught him. Peace and blessings.(This message has been edited by BadenP)

• 3 weeks later...

i too know what it is like to lose a fellow scout and friend. it hurts like there is no tommarrow. i miss him so much and when we went to philmont scout ranch and we hiked up mount phillips and we felt that it would be fitting to make a small mounument to his memory. (he had been there at the exact spot 1 year before). if you were there after 7/23/03, you may have seen it. i could never fell sad about his passing before building it but then i cryed finally. thank you for listening to me

Jeremy's Dad and I had been friends and had worked on many events together. When Jeremy was a Wolf Cub, he brought him to a campout. That evening I told him that I had been observing the moon and I noticed movement, probably Moon People. He believed me and got scared but his Dad told him that there really wasn't any movement or Moon People, so we all had a good laugh.

A few short years later, Jeremy and I canoed down the river together for the last time. Neither of us knew it was the last time so that was never a thought. He took the lead in the bow and did an adequate job for a beginner.

He wore his high top socks and sun burned his legs to the shorts line which he displayed to everybody that afternoon while standing on the table. (*He called it a Scout tan.) He was a short Scout with a funny grin and a good sense of humor.

The next day we hit the rapids and over we went right into the drink. It was just fine for both of us because we were not worried about getting wet. We had just enjoyed the speed, the water and the excitement of it all.

On the last day, we decided that we would race everyone so off we went to the destination point at full throttle. We paddled like wild people. We finally pulled into the bank and both of us jumped out and were laughing and hollering at all of the stragglers.

In November after the canoe trip in August, Jeremy developed Juvenile onset Diabetes but the doctors could not figure it out in time. We buried Jeremy a few weeks later. That has been over ten years ago.

I am still amazed that the world could produce such a wonderful Scout and then promptly lose him to the ages. His parents will never understand it or any of us that knew him.

Life provides us with extremes that are absolutely real. It is allot like going down the river for the last time with Jeremy. I was truly privileged to be a small part of such a wonderful life as I know you were with Willie.

FB