Completing Troop Detailed Assessment

Yesterday, I received a generic email from my council commissioner informing me that "Starting this year, National is requiring detailed assessments to be completed for all units."  He included the form but there aren't really instructions on how to fill it out. Some of the questions are a little vague, particularly Section 2. Has anyone filled one of these out before?

Link to form: https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/commissioner/pdf/Troop_Detailed_Assessment.pdf 

6 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Yesterday, I received a generic email from my council commissioner informing me that "Starting this year, National is requiring detailed assessments to be completed for all units."  He included the form but there aren't really instructions on how to fill it out. Some of the questions are a little vague, particularly Section 2. Has anyone filled one of these out before?

Link to form: https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/commissioner/pdf/Troop_Detailed_Assessment.pdf 

Just did one of these a couple of weeks ago, as a UC.

Section 2 information can be pulled up by your Key 3, or any Commissioner.  You are looking for the number of leaders who are current with Youth Protection (right now we are also looking at who needs to take the new YPT before Oct. 1), are there any current leaders whose YPT has expired, do you have any leaders who have never taken YPT (that answer, hopefully, is no, especially since we now need to include a copy of the YPT certificate with the adult application).  Training data as of would be the date the report was pulled.  How many of your leaders show on the report as position trained (a challenge for my own unit, that we are working on).  A list of who is position trained and who is not (that report will show what they lack to be position trained - it is amazing how many SM/ASM folks do not realize that in addition to the online training they must complete IOLS to be position trained).  The YPT status list shows all registered leaders and when YPT expires.  Youth/adults registered in unit is just how many are currently on your official roster.

Our unit commissioner brought this form to our last troop meeting. (it is their job to complete it) I (CC) helped provide the answers the best I could.

It really helps if you have pulled the training reports from my.scouting and have your latest jte report along with your numbers/ calculations.

Edited by ZScout5
  • Upvote 1

@SaltfaceYes, I have completed a similar form...as a Commissioner during a Unit Visit. This is a Commissioner task. Has he asked for a time for the unit's Key Three to meet with him? That's when he should be filling it out with your help.

Edited by an_old_DC
11 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

Just did one of these a couple of weeks ago, as a UC.

Section 2 information can be pulled up by your Key 3, or any Commissioner.  You are looking for the number of leaders who are current with Youth Protection (right now we are also looking at who needs to take the new YPT before Oct. 1), are there any current leaders whose YPT has expired, do you have any leaders who have never taken YPT (that answer, hopefully, is no, especially since we now need to include a copy of the YPT certificate with the adult application).  Training data as of would be the date the report was pulled.  How many of your leaders show on the report as position trained (a challenge for my own unit, that we are working on).  A list of who is position trained and who is not (that report will show what they lack to be position trained - it is amazing how many SM/ASM folks do not realize that in addition to the online training they must complete IOLS to be position trained).  The YPT status list shows all registered leaders and when YPT expires.  Youth/adults registered in unit is just how many are currently on your official roster.

If I understand everything correctly, it follows this format. Correct?

[number] YPT Current
[number] YPT Expired
[number] YPT Never Taken
[date] Training Data As Of
[number] Leaders Not Trained
[number] Leaders Trained
[array] Leaders Not Trained List
[array] YPT Status List
[number] Youth Registered in Unit
[number] Adults Registered in Unit

Edited by Saltface
13 minutes ago, an_old_DC said:

@SaltfaceYes, I have completed a similar form...as a Commissioner during a Unit Visit. This is a Commissioner task. Has he asked for a time for the unit's Key Three to meet with him? That's when he should be filling it out with your help.

Yes, it is a Commissioner task, and is usually done in a meeting with the Key 3.  I had the info when we met, and we reviewed to for accuracy.  Several who showed as not trained were parents who registered but left the unit.

9 minutes ago, Saltface said:

They're asking us (the Unit Key 3) to fill it out and send it in. We're supposed to receive a visit in a few months.

Not the way we do things in our district.  This should be done face to face, particularly when looking at the reason some of the training numbers might seem a bit out of whack to someone who is not familiar with your unit.  You should also be getting at least somewhat regular UC visits.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Saltface said:

@ZScout5

@an_old_DC

They're asking us (the Unit Key 3) to fill it out and send it in. We're supposed to receive a visit in a few months. 

That's not how our Council does this and it is not the process outlined by National. A Unit Commissioner, Assistant District Commissioner or District Commissioner should be scheduling a face-to-face Unit Visit with the Key Three and then discuss "unit health," during which time the Commissioner fills out the form.

When is the last time any sort of Commissioner visited your unit?

By the way, a diligent Commissioner of any type can pull all of the Section 2 numbers and reports themselves in advance.

@MikeS72posted this too but it bears repeating.

It sort of defeats the purpose of the Assessment if the unit is doing it on their own without a Commissioner even present.

Edited by an_old_DC
19 minutes ago, an_old_DC said:

That's not how our Council does this and it is not the process outlined by National. A Unit Commissioner, Assistant District Commissioner or District Commissioner should be scheduling a face-to-face Unit Visit with the Key Three and then discuss "unit health," during which time the Commissioner fills out the form.

When is the last time any sort of Commissioner visited your unit?

I talk to our UC/ADC fairly frequently. He was at our last CoH a few months ago. I've just never seen nor heard of this form. Maybe he copies what he needs off the JTE worksheet.

The email was a generic message from my council, so I think it went out to thousands of people.  

36 minutes ago, Saltface said:

I talk to our UC/ADC fairly frequently. He was at our last CoH a few months ago. I've just never seen nor heard of this form. Maybe he copies what he needs off the JTE worksheet.

The email was a generic message from my council, so I think it went out to thousands of people.  

Well, all the details get loaded into the Detailed Assessment form in the electronic Commissioner Tools. He wouldn't get all he needs from the JTE scorecard, but he would get everything he needs in a detailed conversation with you. He could take notes during the visit, and then complete the form on-line later.

UC? It would be nice to meet what's-his-name.

We were sent a different form about whether we were starting a BSA4G unit, and if so, what type. Seemed more like one of those sales pitches disguised as surveys.