Congratulations on a job well done, Brian. Your Troop is fortunate to have a Scout with so much dedication and enthusiasm. I suspect the younger Scouts will be infected with the same great traits you've shown.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, sst3rd said:

Brian,

The SPL doesn't have anything to do with this decision.

sst3rd

According to the website that I have read, it is with the SM and SPL. I’m not sure how reliable it is though.

"The Junior Assistant Scoutmaster is a scout who has shown outstanding leadership skills. He is appointed by the Senior Patrol Leader with the advice and consent of the Scoutmaster" https://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Junior_Assistant_Scoutmaster

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Upvote 1

It's very reliable. But in case that's not enough, let's crack open The Patrol Leader Handbook

A Scout at least 16 years of age who has shown outstanding leadership skills may be appointed by the senior patrol leader, with the consent of the Scoutmaster, to serve as a junior assistant Scoutmaster.

Either the SPL has everything to do with the decision, or you're doing it wrong.

6 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

well that changed somewhere    It used to be up to the SM.  

6 hours ago, qwazse said:

It's very reliable. But in case that's not enough, let's crack open The Patrol Leader Handbook

Either the SPL has everything to do with the decision, or you're doing it wrong.

It really makes no sense why the SPL would choose it, in my opinion.

I've never known an SPL to disagree with the SM on this. Assuming that he and the SM have good intentions, I could imagine a situation where the SPL knows something about a fellow scout that the SM does not. It could be that the SPL simply knows they boy doesn't want to be JASM, so why bother with asking the SM about the appointment?