New Cub Scout Manuals

So, the new manuals are in my local Scout Shop, and I spent a long time going though all of them. I actually think that, sans the explicit inclusion of girls in much of the new imagery, they are much better than the past edition - more pictures, simpler writing, more activity and less rambling ... I like them. I am not a fan of the spiral bound books though and it seems they aren't even bothering to produce perfect-bound copies now, which is frustrating as they were cheaper and lasted longer. But these new ones are bright, colorful, engaging and streamlined, so I have little to complain about concerning the changes themselves.

Now my primary concern is that they will come out with the Spanish editions quickly so that I don't have to translate all my parent materials off the cuff; most of my families are either Spanish or Chinese speakers, so having materials in at least one of those languages makes things a lot easier. Hurry hurry BSA translation department!

• Upvote 2

I picked one up for my daughter as well.

But for you, if the LDS is pulling out, then I wouldn't recommend telling your scouts to get the newest book.  The last book still has all the same information, you just have to use the extra pamphlet to show the updated requirements versus electives.  AND they are on clearance, AND they still have Spanish versions.

Well, I have just told my boys to get whichever book they wish. I will have all of them for reference, but I am not going to be picky about which one they use, and I have made sure all the parents know it. Same with the new total switch to the tan/olive uniforms for Webelos Scouts; if my boys want to stick with the blue that's fine by me. 

I really dislike the spiral-bound books. They feel flimsy and weak compared to perfect-bound. And from the adult-who-carries-a-bag-full-of-stuff-to-every-meeting perspective, the perfect-bound books were just more compact, easier to cram into a bag with other materials.

I was happy to have the option, but now it seems the option is gone. 

There is definitely a heavy amount of photos featuring girls, which will surely make some heads explode (I'm still floored that someone said they'd quit over any inclusion of girls in the handbooks). But I think they're all really well-done photos and are helpful in illustrating the activities and skills. 

Edited by FireStone
  • Upvote 1