Jump to content
mashmaster

Virtual Dutch oven contest

Recommended Posts

Food makes me happy, let's share some of your masterpieces.  Last night I made Chocolate lava cakes in the dutch oven.  Finished off the dinner of dutch teriyaki bacon wrapped chicken breast over warmed veggies and rice.  I forgot to include the picture of that.

 

 

lava.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish I had a picture of my baked ziti. 

I’ve been thinking of asking the moderators for a Chow sub-forum under Camping & High Adventure where we can share recipes that have worked well for us. Each recipe should probably be its own thread.

@RememberSchiff

@John-in-KC

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Saltface said:

Wish I had a picture of my baked ziti. 

I’ve been thinking of asking the moderators for a Chow sub-forum under Camping & High Adventure where we can share recipes that have worked well for us. Each recipe should probably be its own thread.

@RememberSchiff

@John-in-KC

That would be great, when  I asked before they basically said no.  

If anyone wants the lava cake recipe let me know.  it isn't hard and it is incredible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During our last few trips, I have tried the following in Dutch Ovens:

Meatloaf (my wife's secret recipe)

Jambalaya

Lasagna

 A Modified American Chop Suey (less sauce, more cheese)

A breakfast casserole (eggs, ham, cheese, breadcrumbs)

A simple cobbler/dump cake hybrid- pie filling, cake mix and a can of soda

 

I have recipes to share if anyone is interested

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not used a dutch oven on a camping trip in decades. All of my expeditions involve either backpacking or significant portages on canoe treks. That said, it IS possible to do dutch oven style recipes in a lighweight aluminum pot. It is much more difficult due to the fast heat transfer of Al. So I am happy to contribute to the contest if my "no dutch oven" will count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DuctTape said:

I have not used a dutch oven on a camping trip in decades. All of my expeditions involve either backpacking or significant portages on canoe treks. That said, it IS possible to do dutch oven style recipes in a lighweight aluminum pot. It is much more difficult due to the fast heat transfer of Al. So I am happy to contribute to the contest if my "no dutch oven" will count.

The more the merrier 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AVTech said:

A breakfast casserole (eggs, ham, cheese, breadcrumbs)

 

I make something similar to this, I have swapped out the ham for turkey breakfast sausage.  I just precook that before the trip, put the ingredients all in a nalgene ahead of time.  The morning you heat the coals, shake the nalgene to scramble everything, pour it in and wait 45 minutes.  Bam! it is awesome.  I do cheat with this one and use a parchment paper liner I make from an 18" wide parchment paper roll.  Here is a picture of one I made this weekend, I fashioned a parchment paper divider because 50% of my family didn't want cheese.....(seriously)

 

 

Egg Bake.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know they make Dutch oven liners now? They work pretty good, we use them when my family goes camping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

You know they make Dutch oven liners now? They work pretty good, we use them when my family goes camping.

I can get a roll of 18" parchment paper for $8 that is 75 feet, lots and lots of liners

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mashmaster said:

I can get a roll of 18" parchment paper for $8 that is 75 feet, lots and lots of liners

We get them on the clearance rack for pennies haha. I think they are expensive otherwise.

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d love the lava cake recipe please..always good to score points with the missus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2018 at 8:57 AM, mashmaster said:

That would be great, when  I asked before they basically said no.  

If anyone wants the lava cake recipe let me know.  it isn't hard and it is incredible.  

Yes, please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2018 at 10:41 AM, AVTech said:

I have recipes to share if anyone is interested

 

That would be great.  Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×