Virtual Dutch oven contest

Food makes me happy, let's share some of your masterpieces.  Last night I made Chocolate lava cakes in the dutch oven.  Finished off the dinner of dutch teriyaki bacon wrapped chicken breast over warmed veggies and rice.  I forgot to include the picture of that.

lava.jpg

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Saltface said:

Wish I had a picture of my baked ziti. 

I’ve been thinking of asking the moderators for a Chow sub-forum under Camping & High Adventure where we can share recipes that have worked well for us. Each recipe should probably be its own thread.

@RememberSchiff

@John-in-KC

That would be great, when  I asked before they basically said no.  

If anyone wants the lava cake recipe let me know.  it isn't hard and it is incredible.  

During our last few trips, I have tried the following in Dutch Ovens:

Meatloaf (my wife's secret recipe)

Jambalaya

Lasagna

A Modified American Chop Suey (less sauce, more cheese)

A breakfast casserole (eggs, ham, cheese, breadcrumbs)

A simple cobbler/dump cake hybrid- pie filling, cake mix and a can of soda

I have recipes to share if anyone is interested

• Upvote 1

I have not used a dutch oven on a camping trip in decades. All of my expeditions involve either backpacking or significant portages on canoe treks. That said, it IS possible to do dutch oven style recipes in a lighweight aluminum pot. It is much more difficult due to the fast heat transfer of Al. So I am happy to contribute to the contest if my "no dutch oven" will count.

1 hour ago, DuctTape said:

I have not used a dutch oven on a camping trip in decades. All of my expeditions involve either backpacking or significant portages on canoe treks. That said, it IS possible to do dutch oven style recipes in a lighweight aluminum pot. It is much more difficult due to the fast heat transfer of Al. So I am happy to contribute to the contest if my "no dutch oven" will count.

The more the merrier 🙂

1 hour ago, AVTech said:

A breakfast casserole (eggs, ham, cheese, breadcrumbs)

I make something similar to this, I have swapped out the ham for turkey breakfast sausage.  I just precook that before the trip, put the ingredients all in a nalgene ahead of time.  The morning you heat the coals, shake the nalgene to scramble everything, pour it in and wait 45 minutes.  Bam! it is awesome.  I do cheat with this one and use a parchment paper liner I make from an 18" wide parchment paper roll.  Here is a picture of one I made this weekend, I fashioned a parchment paper divider because 50% of my family didn't want cheese.....(seriously)

Egg Bake.jpg

2 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

You know they make Dutch oven liners now? They work pretty good, we use them when my family goes camping.

I can get a roll of 18" parchment paper for $8 that is 75 feet, lots and lots of liners

8 hours ago, mashmaster said:

I can get a roll of 18" parchment paper for $8 that is 75 feet, lots and lots of liners

We get them on the clearance rack for pennies haha. I think they are expensive otherwise.

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Upvote 1