Outdoor Ethics Action Award #5

Some of my scouts are working on the Outdoor Ethics Action Award and have asked me for some idea on requirement # 5

" 5. On a troop outing, help your troop on a service activity that addresses recreational impacts related to the type of outing. The project should be approved in advance by the landowner or land manager and lead to permanent or long-term improvements."

Any suggestions for addressing recreational impacts?

One that son #2 enjoyed: the troop built a footbridge over a stream near a favorite camping spot. The goal was to reduce bank erosion from the traffic walking around the lake.

They weren't interested in the outdoor ethics awards or anything. It was just a muddy load of fun.

• 5 months later...

The Awareness Award is the learning award and the first part of earning the Action Award which is putting what you learned into action. When ordering the Action award remember to order the device for it too (Boy Scouts, Venture).

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2018 at 11:35 AM, NJCubScouter said:

A service activity?  Is that anything like a service project?  :)

I think a "service project" implies advance planning and likely approvals --- (thinking of "Eagle projects" or "Hornaday projects"...)  On the other hand, a "service activity" could be something informal that you do because you see a need and because it's "the right thing".  For example, if I'm out fishing with a patrol, we might see lots of monofilament line discarded on the shores, tangling vegetation and presenting a hazard to wildlife. We could clean up the recklessly discarded lines.