Is this the beginning of the end for Star Wars and the Boy Scouts?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shaka, when the walls fell.

Late last year I wrote a post on the comparison between the feminist and social justi.ce themes being injected into the Star Wars franchise; which seemed to mirror the BSA's 'progressive' decision to

I am fairly certain that LatinScot is NOT a “liberal.”  Not only have I read his posts, I never see him at any of the meetings.  

I suppose you could say that movies tend to reflect the time they were made in, even if they are about a somewhere else at a different time. I was a little taken aback when I caught a bit of one of the Sean Connery Bond films, he gave this lass a good slap round the face, knocked her to the ground, they probably started kissing right after, I don't recall. The eighties, Bond, Die Hard, Indiana Jones, Arnie, more Star Wars. Leia probably the only female character that did anything, barring a few lady Bond villains that always got their comeuppance, or got into bed.

So we now live in a society where women aren't expected to exist just for men, or just to have babies and keep a tidy house, and action films with feisty female characters exist.

And scouting, has it ever done any more than reflect the time they are in? I mean, it was started because of a moral panic after soot-lunged factory boys were getting their behinds whipped by South African farmer's sons. We don't really need frontiersmen anymore do we? We still need young people that will stand up and be counted. That have a moral compass. Scouting still has a place. Using the outdoors as an environment in which character and confidence can be built.

So the balance that used to be tilted 95/5% in favour of men has become more equal. Of course, some will think the balance is 60/40, some 40/60, some have more or less extreme views of it, but that's perspective for you.

One of the great things about art, regardless of the medium is the response of the audience. Meaning how the art speaks to the audience independently to other audience members. We see what we choose to see; it speaks to what we want to hear. Art is often a mirror to ourselves, both individually and as a group. Sometimes what we do not like in the art is a result of the art highlighting that which is disagreeable about ourselves that is difficult to admit. Sometimes it is just art.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

Yes, the ONE healine you shared, from such a reputable newssource no less. How very compelling. But it is wise of you to rest your case there, as there isn't much further you could take it without much hyperbole and vitriol. I did find the following article much more reasonable, however. I am more inclined to follow this line of thinking than yours, despite a few places where I disagree. And it is no better nor worse a source than yours, though I find its argument much more logical and sensible than the fear-mongering many seem to be slathering about:

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/5/28/17402484/solo-star-wars-box-office-reviews-cameo-death

Now, had you presented your thoughts along  these lines, I may have been pursuaded. But your thoughts just sound ... dare I say, envious. You sound like you are jealous that we like the new movies, but you can't. How very unfortunate that you choose to feel this way (and I say choose very carefully since I realize nobody can MAKE you feel one way or the other). 

“When I inevitably come back”…?

Dude, if you want the last word, just say so. Doesn’t matter to me

Still no comments though on your claiming that I made up “The Force is Female”…still nothing on that? No owning up to that? Not surprising.

Do enjoy reading your Star Wars articles

16 hours ago, SSF said:

Did you not see the one headline I shared...that was from the Hollywood Reporter. There are lots of others from other trades and outlets that say the same exact thing.

I rest my case there. 

Sorry you're upset. Do get together with Latin Scot and  Chadmus and make plans to see Solo again a few dozen times, if that makes you feel better.

I saw the headline. I didn't see the data I asked about. So I'll ask again: Where is the evidence that "most" people feel a certain way about the direction of the SW films? Where is the evidence that "most" people are against what the BSA is doing? 

Opinion pieces that make the same generalizations are not data. Comments on social media are not data. Is ther any actual data what-so-ever that your generalizations are at all factually accurate? 

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, FireStone said:

I saw the headline. I didn't see the data I asked about. So I'll ask again: Where is the evidence that "most" people feel a certain way about the direction of the SW films? Where is the evidence that "most" people are against what the BSA is doing? 

Opinion pieces that make the same generalizations are not data. Comments on social media are not data. Is ther any actual data what-so-ever that your generalizations are at all factually accurate? 

Triggered? 

I know common sense and logic  may be unique concepts to you but please spare me your semantics

Data? It's all around you, you just have to be willing to actually recognize it. Maybe if you take your head out of where ever it's buried you'd actually see that. Not my job to educate you though buddy. 

Delude yourself if you want to about girls in the BSA. You already know the real answer to how the majority of people in the U.S. feel about that...otherwise you wouldn't be so defensive and triggered

• Downvote 3