Is this the beginning of the end for Star Wars and the Boy Scouts?

3 hours ago, SSF said:

I'm glad you've enjoyed Disney's take on Star Wars, but the number of fans who share your opinion is shrinking fast.

Please don't try to confuse the issue. We're no longer talking about The Last Jedi's box office returns, we're now talking about Solo's box office returns...and in the greater scheme, how the opinions of the majority can be so easily cast aside by an elitist minority, who believe that "The Force is Female" and that girls should be in the Boy Scouts. (For the record, I would be equally opposed to including boys in the Girl Scouts.)

You use a lot of generalizations. Is there any actual data that supports any of these ideas? That "most people" were put off by the tone of The Last Jedi? That any of this is the majority opinion? I have yet to see any data that supports the idea that the BSA decision is fueled by an "elitist minority." What (little) data we have from the BSA says the opposite. 

I'd feel better about my status as an "elitist minority" if I saw any real facts that prove it. 

• Downvote 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shaka, when the walls fell.

Late last year I wrote a post on the comparison between the feminist and social justi.ce themes being injected into the Star Wars franchise; which seemed to mirror the BSA's 'progressive' decision to

I am fairly certain that LatinScot is NOT a “liberal.”  Not only have I read his posts, I never see him at any of the meetings.  

7 minutes ago, SSF said:

I've said my peace here, so this is my last word on this thread.

I'm gonna go ahead and start the promotions:

SSF's Episode IX/BSA thread: opening December, 2019!

😉

20 minutes ago, FireStone said:

You use a lot of generalizations. Is there any actual data that supports any of these ideas? That "most people" were put off by the tone of The Last Jedi? That any of this is the majority opinion? I have yet to see any data that supports the idea that the BSA decision is fueled by an "elitist minority." What (little) data we have from the BSA says the opposite. 

I'd feel better about my status as an "elitist minority" if I saw any real facts that prove it. 

Did you not see the one headline I shared...that was from the Hollywood Reporter. There are lots of others from other trades and outlets that say the same exact thing.

I rest my case there. 

Sorry you're upset. Do get together with Latin Scot and  Chadmus and make plans to see Solo again a few dozen times, if that makes you feel better.

6 minutes ago, Chadamus said:

I'm gonna go ahead and start the promotions:

SSF's Episode IX/BSA thread: opening December, 2019!

😉

Resorting to pettiness,...nice, sure fire sign that you have no real, valid arguments...thanks for validating that

Now, that's my final word on this

13 minutes ago, SSF said:

Did you not see the one headline I shared...that was from the Hollywood Reporter. There are lots of others from other trades and outlets that say the same exact thing.

I rest my case there. 

Sorry you're upset. Do get together with Latin Scot and  Chadmus and make plans to see Solo again a few dozen times, if that makes you feel better.

Yes, the ONE healine you shared, from such a reputable newssource no less. How very compelling. But it is wise of you to rest your case there, as there isn't much further you could take it without much hyperbole and vitriol. I did find the following article much more reasonable, however. I am more inclined to follow this line of thinking than yours, despite a few places where I disagree. And it is no better nor worse a source than yours, though I find its argument much more logical and sensible than the fear-mongering many seem to be slathering about:

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/5/28/17402484/solo-star-wars-box-office-reviews-cameo-death

Now, had you presented your thoughts along  these lines, I may have been pursuaded. But your thoughts just sound ... dare I say, envious. You sound like you are jealous that we like the new movies, but you can't. How very unfortunate that you choose to feel this way (and I say choose very carefully since I realize nobody can MAKE you feel one way or the other). 

Edited by The Latin Scot

I remember reading the original thread where the issue of the so-called feminist ruination of TLJ was reported on and decided to do a bit of web surfing about it.

What I found was that there was a small group of people who were bent all out of shape that Poe Dameron got called out on the carpet (rightly I might add) for disobeying direct orders from a female superior by another female superior and they decided that Star Wars was being ruined by feminist politics.

Other articles talked about this group of people and tried to make a connection between them and the gamer gate jerks (for those unfamiliar with gamer gate, it refers to male online game players who really hated girls and women playing online video games and cyber-stalked and harassed them - even to the point where they were harassing female game designers at gaming conventions.

Considering that there are also people out there who were upset that Luke had a beard, that JJ Abrams killed off Han Solo, that there were too many Porgs in the movie, that there weren't enough Porgs in the movie, and that JarJar actually existed at some point, I considered the complaint with a liberal amount of sand.

As for why Solo tanked?  It's really doubtful that a small group of people upset that Poe Dameron got told has had any significant effect on the box office.  The biggest complaint I heard about Solo is that it didn't have Han Solo in it.  I get it - it's supposed to be about a young Han Solo but for forty years, Harrison Ford has been Han Solo.  With the new Star Trek movies and Harry Potter being the possible exceptions, when movies change the actor who plays the main characters, they don't really tend to do well.

In addition, Memorial Day weekends aren't what they used to be for movies and there was just a major Star Wars movie 6 months ago.  

But hey, if you want to blame a woman, who are we to argue - it says a lot more about you than it does about Star Wars and Disney.

• Upvote 1

@SSF

you are absolutely right. I have no argument. I have no dog in this fight. I have not seen the Solo movie. I am simply an observer who has noticed and is pointing out your ongoing attempt to compare the Star Wars movies and the BSA. The best indicator one's future behavior is . . . previous behavior. No offense was intended.

Awaiting the next thread,

Chadamus with two As

Edited by Chadamus
Spelling
2 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

Yes, the ONE healine you shared, from such a reputable newssource no less. How very compelling. But it is wise of you to rest your case there, as there isn't much further you could take it without much hyperbole and vitriol. I did find the following article much more reasonable, however. I am more inclined to follow this line of thinking than yours, despite a few places where I disagree. And it is no better nor worse a source than yours, though I find its argument much more logical and sensible than the fear-mongering many seem to be slathering about:

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/5/28/17402484/solo-star-wars-box-office-reviews-cameo-death

Now, had you presented your thoughts along  these lines, I may have been pursuaded. But your thoughts just sound ... dare I say, envious. You sound like you are jealous that we like the new movies, but you can't. How very unfortunate that you choose to feel this way (and I say choose very carefully since I realize nobody can MAKE you feel one way or the other). 

The only people throwing around vitriol are you and your pals.

I'm not using all caps or bolding my words..getting a bit miffed are we...? 

Like typical liberals and leftists, you and others here can't seem to accept facts or reality, and you choose to attack anyone who does not agree with you.

That article you shared says the exact same thing as the Hollywood Reporter article that I shared...nothing new there. It says the movie under performed tremendously. They were just a bit less harsh and direct in saying so. 

If you want to support "The Force is Female" Star Wars movies go for it. That's your right. Just like it was my right and that of thousands of others this past weekend not to go see Solo because we did not want to be force fed a lesson in feminism and gender politics. 

Disney underestimated the power of people voting with their wallets, and now they're realizing that they have a problem...

Let's not split hairs. Solo under performed badly so Disney needs to figure out if they want to stay the course with Kathleen Kennedy and her "Force is Female" agenda, or reconsider their approach so that they can appeal to far broader audiences.  Logic would dictate that they chose the latter.

BTW...you didn't have any comments on the "Force is Female" photo I shared...is that still something that I made up myself?

It also seems that so many on this board are so bent out of shape over this because you're somehow equating Disney's new Star Wars with girls in the Boy Scouts; i.e .my criticizing Kathleen Kennedy's Star Wars is attacking the idea of girls in the Boy Scouts. Yes, I and others think the idea of girls in the Boy Scouts is absurd. 

Nonetheless, the special interests got their way and quietly and discretely made that happen.

4 hours ago, SSF said:

Resorting to pettiness,...nice, sure fire sign that you have no real, valid arguments...thanks for validating that

Now, that's my final word on this

I suppose this was meant in jest. Let's look at the pettiness then: 

1 hour ago, SSF said:

The only people throwing around vitriol are you and your pals.

I'm not using all caps or bolding my words..getting a bit miffed are we...? 

Like typical liberals and leftists, you and others here can't seem to accept facts or reality, and you choose to attack anyone who does not agree with you.

et cetera

So, when you say something is your "final word," you seem to mean "until I get the last word." Is that fair? Now I will say, calling me a "liberal and a leftist" is downright hysterical. You do know I am a right-wing, conservative Latter-day Saint with an aggresive pro-family, traditional-values, Christian worldview that goes against everything liberals and leftists stand for, do you not? And that I have been one of the most vocal opponents of girls in Scouting on these forums? But my my, you do seem upset, so I suppose resorting to senseless epithets must comfort you somehow. But I happen to like bolding my words. It makes them big and cheerful and easy to read. And I am happy to accept both facts and reality. I thought you were too, but you seem to be incapable of giving a "final" thought when somebody suddenly presents an idea that doesn't fit you worldview, and you can't resist stepping in to correct them. I wonder how many times more you will give us your last thoughts, only to jump in again when somebody presents a point counter to yours.

Fortunately I can enjoy Star Wars without caring two figs whether you want to call me a liberal, a leftist, or a lunatic. So I actually WILL make this my last thought on this thread, because I am perfectly content knowing you are simply some person on the internet who makes assumptions he cannot support with facts, and that what I feel is perfectly legitimate. Have fun when you inevitably come back! ;)

I am fairly certain that LatinScot is NOT a “liberal.”  Not only have I read his posts, I never see him at any of the meetings.

I hide in the back spying on you all with my binoculars. I'm keeping the giftbasket though.

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Haha 2

Ok, that’s it.  No more negative remarks about other posters.  No more ascribing motivations to other posters, who you don’t know.  If people want to talk about Star Wars and the BSA, in a Scoutlike manner, go right ahead. Otherwise, this thread is going to be locked.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 3