My son is a second year boy scout and was accused by one of his tent mates (a 1st year boy scout) of verbally threatening him.  There were no witnesses.  The alleged incident was reported 2 days later.  There have been no prior accusations, issues or incidents involving my son.  No one from the troop spoke with my son or asked him what happened, or even if it happened.  Our first indication of an issue was a phone call several days later telling us that we would be receiving a Cease Participation letter via certified mail withing the next day or two.  We were told that the investigation would be ongoing and take several months.  In the meantime, my son claims that he never made the threats and that the boy took some of his camping equipment and hid it.  My son got angry and told him that his parents would kill him if his new equipment was lost.  The boy finally showed him where the equipment was.  Do I believe my son?  Mostly I do. Did my son get mad and say something he shouldn't have and probably didn't mean?  Most likely.  My son is devastated at his exclusion and devastated at missing summer camp.  Is this the proper protocol?  I have been searching online for some guidance as to the proper protocol for this.  I haven't found anything definitive.  Thank you in advance. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The program is loosing it's way. Scouting is about boys finding themselves through their bad decisions, not get kicked out for making one. In fact, our motto is: the troop is a safe place to make bad

Good. Now some over-zealous social worker can come after you for posing a threat to your son. That's much better.

The protocol: Scout unit reports the incident to the Council Scout Executive since it is an alleged threat that falls under the Youth Protection Policy.  The Scout Executive or designee work with

I'm not sure what the official policy is, but personally I think it's highly unusual to expel a scout from a unit over one incident. I guess depending on the severity of the alleged threat, maybe it's justified in some cases. I've heard of cases of alleged "physical violence" that didn't result in expulsion, I think most units act on a system of warning, then action if behavior is repeated. 

Again, there could be circumstances where first offense is grounds for immediate expulsion. But those have to be some pretty extreme threats to warrant that.

This is something you're going to have to probably take up the ladder, contacting your District Executive and Council Exec. 

I'm curious to know what others have to say here about moving to another unit, because that would be my first choice so your son doesn't have to sit out for months, during which time he'll probably grow resentful of the organization and even if he is then reinstated he might not want to go back. 

Edited by FireStone

Regardless of the severity of what actually may have been said, I find that lack of investigation prior to the phone call and the letter being sent to be disturbing. Feels like a guilty until proven innocent action on behalf of TPTB.

Who called you, someone from the troop or the council? If it was the troop, I would want to know just who made this decision. Why were you, as a parent, not invited to that discussion - was this at a committee meeting? I also think I would be calling my council to complain if this originated at the troop level.

Is your scout being told to cease with the Troop or cease with BSA?

1 minute ago, Hawkwin said:

Regardless of the severity of what actually may have been said, I find that lack of investigation prior to the phone call and the letter being sent to be disturbing. Feels like a guilty until proven innocent action on behalf of TPTB.

Who called you, someone from the troop or the council? If it was the troop, I would want to know just who made this decision. Why were you, as a parent, not invited to that discussion - was this at a committee meeting? I also think I would be calling my council to complain if this originated at the troop level.

Is your scout being told to cease with the Troop or cease with BSA?

The program is loosing it's way. Scouting is about boys finding themselves through their bad decisions, not get kicked out for making one. In fact, our motto is: the troop is a safe place to make bad decisions. The more, the better. 

There really isn't a protocol, you need to talk to the COR and CC. Approach them calmly and with questions. Let them work this out first.

Barry

• Upvote 3
45 minutes ago, ScoutMama43 said:

Our first indication of an issue was a phone call several days later telling us that we would be receiving a Cease Participation letter via certified mail withing the next day or two. 

Did you actually receive the letter?  Who was it from?  (Sorry, when you post on a forum you never know when another member might be a lawyer and start cross-examining you.  :D  )

8 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Did you actually receive the letter?  Who was it from?  (Sorry, when you post on a forum you never know when another member might be a lawyer and start cross-examining you.  :D  )

I would find it strange if a Chartered Org sent a letter such as that, and it was not they who contacted you.  I would wait to see the actual letter and what it may/may not outline as far contact information or any next steps it outlines.   To ban from all BSA activities would seem to indicate to me that it is coming from Council (with National's knowledge)- a troop/CO itself cannot ban from all BSA activities, only those they coordinate (troop meetings, troop campouts, etc.).  They can't ban a registered scout from say council merit badge college or order of the Arrow weekends, for example.     

For those who have been around for a while, I wonder if this is the new protocol as part of the new YPT reporting/investigation process?

• Thanks 1