Do let us know how it plays out. I think I speak for everyone that we love to see how things work out, especially if they get resolved to your satisfaction. All of us are very motivated in supporting the kids to be within scouts. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The program is loosing it's way. Scouting is about boys finding themselves through their bad decisions, not get kicked out for making one. In fact, our motto is: the troop is a safe place to make bad

Good. Now some over-zealous social worker can come after you for posing a threat to your son. That's much better.

The protocol: Scout unit reports the incident to the Council Scout Executive since it is an alleged threat that falls under the Youth Protection Policy.  The Scout Executive or designee work with

Thank you for all of the feedback and input. We received the letter. It is from our local council SE. It references the allegations and indicates that they will inform of any change to his status. I left a message for him at the number provided. I will call again on Tuesday after the holiday. I have been in email contact with the troop CC who does not seem happy with my questions at all. I will keep you updated as to how this plays out. My son still seems in shock and is maintaining his innocence. We have questioned him about anything he could have said or done that could have been misconstrued. So far, nothing other than what I have previously mentioned. The accuser’s dad is not a leader. However the other tent mate’s dad is now a leader and those two boys are best friends and have been in scouts together from the beginning. In fact my son drove in the car to and from the camp out with these boys and the dad (2+ hours each way). 

1 hour ago, ScoutMama43 said:

My son still seems in shock and is maintaining his innocence. We have questioned him about anything he could have said or done that could have been misconstrued. So far, nothing other than what I have previously mentioned.

Count your blessings. If this had been a girl making an accusation, things would be much worse.

• Upvote 1

Call the Scout Executive. You need to know what somebody told him or her—especially since the Troop CC is not forthcoming.

it is very odd nobody contacted you before contacting the SE.

there is more to this story somehow.

Edited by an_old_DC
  • Upvote 1
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, ScoutMama43 said:

I will call again on Tuesday after the holiday. 

I wonder if we will be hearing from ScoutMama43 about the phone call. It's possible that the SE read her the riot act, insisting that she not talk about the incident on social media. 

31 minutes ago, David CO said:

I wonder if we will be hearing from ScoutMama43 about the phone call. It's possible that the SE read her the riot act, insisting that she not talk about the incident on social media. 

or if she retained a lawyer he would have given her the same advice

On 5/26/2018 at 8:02 PM, ScoutMama43 said:

...I have been in email contact with the troop CC who does not seem happy with my questions at all..

So a kid gets kicked out of a troop and the CC is annoyed to answer questions from the parent of the boy? That's absurd. What did they expect you to do? Just say, "Oh, thanks for kicking out my son. Have fun on the next outing!". 🙄

• Upvote 1
On 5/27/2018 at 8:04 PM, an_old_DC said:

there is more to this story somehow.

I agree that something  isn't right about this story. No specifics from the CC, SM does not offer to have the scouts sit and discuss thier side, SE won't provide specifics and the scouts stays in limbo. 

27 minutes ago, FireStone said:

So a kid gets kicked out of a troop and the CC is annoyed to answer questions from the parent of the boy? That's absurd. What did they expect you to do? Just say, "Oh, thanks for kicking out my son. Have fun on the next outing!". 🙄

We don't know that the unit had anything to do with it. The letter came from the council. It is entirely possible that the complaint was made directly to the council, or to the BSA hotline. The CC's annoyance might be the result of being left out of the loop and not having any information to share with the parents.

• Upvote 1

I've seen something similar recently in another unit.  A minor incident was blown way out of proportion by the spiteful vengeance of a mother.  None of the kids involved were 100% innocent, but it was about as minor of an incident as I've ever seen.  And one kid is paying the price.  In my view, the mother sees the other kid as defective and wanted him out of scouts and out of her son's scouting experience.  She's made scouts a royal hell for that poor kid.  My sympathies go out to him as he's about as normal of a kid as you can get.  I've seen multiple other scouts get away with much worse without incident reports.  

This is a hard life lesson.  If you can get your son back in scouts and he wants to be in, great.  (... if you do get in, change troops...) ... If not, there are other activities.  In the long run,scouting is just not that important.  Your son is the number one priority.  Find something he can own and grow in and benefit from.  

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 1