It's astonishing how wildly out of control this kind of thing can get, over what appears to be a completely mis-heard word/phrase. Do we really need to sit our scouts down and tell them not to use the word "kill" in any way or any context, because it can be misconstrued? 

It's pure insanity. Next we'll probably hear about a kid kicked out of a Troop for threatening to go on a murder spree after being overheard talking to other scouts about Fortnite. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The program is loosing it's way. Scouting is about boys finding themselves through their bad decisions, not get kicked out for making one. In fact, our motto is: the troop is a safe place to make bad

Good. Now some over-zealous social worker can come after you for posing a threat to your son. That's much better.

The protocol: Scout unit reports the incident to the Council Scout Executive since it is an alleged threat that falls under the Youth Protection Policy.  The Scout Executive or designee work with

The protocol:

Scout unit reports the incident to the Council Scout Executive since it is an alleged threat that falls under the Youth Protection Policy.  The Scout Executive or designee work with the unit to complete an incident report.

The Scout Executive may choose to remove him from Scouting altogether.  If so you will get a letter and it should contain an appeals process.

The Unit may choose to remove him from the troop.  A simple phone call is all it should take.  You may or may not be able to appeal that decision.  Even if you could you probably do not want to stay in that toxic environment.  I would suggest moving to a different unit.

I know all of this because we had to do exactly that.  In our case we did talk to all scouts involved.  We had two scouts get threatened by one scout at the same event.  We ultimately dismissed the scout from the troop but the Scout Executive did not remove him from scouting.  He could transfer to another unit if he chooses.

From your description it does not seem like things are being handled well.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, NJCubScouter said:

(Sorry, when you post on a forum you never know when another member might be a lawyer and start cross-examining you.  :D  )

I wasn't expecting the Spanish inquisition!

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, David CO said:

I wasn't expecting the Spanish inquisition!

But what you probably were expecting was for me or someone else to say, NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition.

What I will say instead, is:  Imagine, a Jewish person being an Inquisitor.  The shoe has certainly landed on the other foot. :)

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, NealOnWheels said:

...You may or may not be able to appeal that decision.  Even if you could you probably do not want to stay in that toxic environment.  I would suggest moving to a different unit...

I kind of got the same vibe, that if it's just a few months into this family's experience with this troop and already this kind of problem is arrising, more than a bit concerning about the future prospects of this unit and if it's even possible to have a positive experience at all going forward with that unit. No matter the outcome of any appeal, moving to a different unit might be the best option.  

I would suggest 2 things - 

- Ask to see the policy for discipline, what steps are taken, who is present etc..

- Ask that the other scout be punished also. Stealing is wrong and he needs to be punished also

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, NealOnWheels said:

The Scout Executive may choose to remove him from Scouting altogether.  If so you will get a letter and it should contain an appeals process.

The Council SE does not have authority to remove a Scout from BSA; only National can revoke membership. Now, the SE can absolutely request that National revoke membership. If the situation merits removal, National will then--after investigation-- revoke membership and that's that. However, that is usually for something criminal. The same goes for removing adults. 

I think OP needs to call the troop CC.

Edited by an_old_DC
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

For anyone that has gone through the new YPT (I went through a  live version, using the new National training syllabus) there is the new hotline, which bypasses Council entirely and is investigated by a firm that National has contracted with.  I'm wondering if that is what has transpired here.

4 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

For anyone that has gone through the new YPT (I went through a  live version, using the new National training syllabus) there is the new hotline, which bypasses Council entirely and is investigated by a firm that National has contracted with.  I'm wondering if that is what has transpired here.

From the latest Guide To Safe Scouting...

Scouts First Helpline

As part of its “Scouts First” approach to the protection and safety of youth, the BSA has established a dedicated 24-hour helpline to receive reports of known or suspected abuse or behavior that might put a youth at risk. 1-844-SCOUTS1 (1-844-726-8871) When to use it: • Anytime you believe a youth has been harmed or their safety and wellbeing is at risk, and you cannot immediately reach your Scout executive or local council. • If a Scout is bullied because of race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or disability, and local help is unable to resolve the problem. If someone is at immediate risk of harm, always call 911.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, NealOnWheels said:

From the latest Guide To Safe Scouting...

Scouts First Helpline

As part of its “Scouts First” approach to the protection and safety of youth, the BSA has established a dedicated 24-hour helpline to receive reports of known or suspected abuse or behavior that might put a youth at risk. 1-844-SCOUTS1 (1-844-726-8871) When to use it: • Anytime you believe a youth has been harmed or their safety and wellbeing is at risk, and you cannot immediately reach your Scout executive or local council. • If a Scout is bullied because of race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or disability, and local help is unable to resolve the problem. If someone is at immediate risk of harm, always call 911.

Yup, and we were told to feel free to use it as mandatory reporters.

3 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I’m curious, is the son  that accused your son a child of the SM, ASMs, or CC? 

Where is the Scoutmaster (SM) in this?  What troop leaders have spoken to you and your son?

As already mentioned, calling the Troop Committee Chairman should also to on your action list.

Edited by RememberSchiff

Everyone in this morass, ideally, presumably, is a Scout.   A Scout is trustworthy.   We made it clear to our Scoutson and, indeed, to any Scout I've had dealings with that  A Scout Should Say What He/she Means, because they will be believed.  If a Scout said to me, "my parents are gonna kill me if I lose this sleeping bag."  I would ask him , do you REALLY mean that?  If so, we have other problems to deal with than an empty threat (empty?) 

If your Scout said what he is accused of saying , and was interpreted as making a threat to the other , younger Scout, rather than a hyperbolic expression of his own anxiety, then both these young men need to be counseled as to the impact of what they say AND how they interpret what they hear....   

A Scout is Courteous, and Kind....   be polite and insistent.  Find out who said what to whom.  Who made what decision vis a vis your Scout.  Pass the inquiry up the line as necessary.   The Scoutmaster, the Committee Chair, the Charter Org Rep, perhaps the Institution Head.   Perhaps on to your District Exec and Council Scout Exec .  

If it was me, I would ask and insist on a meeting between the two boys , you and the other's parents, and the Scoutmaster   first.  Ask them who said what to whom.... 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, FireStone said:

I kind of got the same vibe, that if it's just a few months into this family's experience with this troop and already this kind of problem is arrising, more than a bit concerning about the future prospects of this unit and if it's even possible to have a positive experience at all going forward with that unit. No matter the outcome of any appeal, moving to a different unit might be the best option.  

From the original post, I understood that the OP's son has been in this troop for two years. If that's not the case, I would immediately look for another troop. This isn't how a scouting unit should operate.

Even if you've been in the troop for two years, this is abnormal behavior. Could it be a new committee chair drunk on power and needing to learn the definition of defenestration?