I have the opportunity to take just BALOO (locally) or both IOLS and BALOO on the same weekend (but a bit of a drive away from home).

1. How do the courses differ?

2. Does BALOO satisfy the same requirements for IOLS (e.g. Scoutmaster required) or would a BALOO-trained leader also need to take IOLS if they want to be a Scoutmaster in the future?

I've so far been unable to tell just what is different about the two courses and some districts offer them at the same event but my district appears to only be offering BALOO this summer. Any other feedback or insight you have is welcome.

In general, the courses don't cross-count.  BALOO is a one-day training for Cub Camping, IOLS is an overnight focused on Boy Scout skills.  If you see yourself as an ASM/SM next year I'd say take the drive (within reason, say an hour or less), camp, and get both done.

• Thanks 1

The time commitments you mention are interesting. The local BALOO starts at 6 PM and ends at noon the following day. The IOLS & BALOO event starts at noon and ends at noon the following day. Both end up being overnight.

I have no current plans to be an ASM/SM in the near future but I thought it might be nice to still have the training under my belt in case that changes in future years. I would imagine that it is once and done - that it never expires?

Currently, I am a Webelos/AOL Den Leader and I am not sure what I will be asked to do come 2019.

In my opinion, IOLS (done right) is a great course for all scouters not just SM and ASM. I also would encourage all parents to take it. Basically the participants do all the T-FC outdoor skills including Totin Chip and FireMn Chit. 

1 hour ago, Hawkwin said:

The time commitments you mention are interesting. The local BALOO starts at 6 PM and ends at noon the following day. The IOLS & BALOO event starts at noon and ends at noon the following day. Both end up being overnight.

I have no current plans to be an ASM/SM in the near future but I thought it might be nice to still have the training under my belt in case that changes in future years. I would imagine that it is once and done - that it never expires?

Currently, I am a Webelos/AOL Den Leader and I am not sure what I will be asked to do come 2019.

If you are a Webelos/AOL Den Leader then you should absolutely take IOLS, as it prepares you to function as a patrol and will help you better prepare the AOLs for life in the troop.

BALOO focuses on Cub Scout Camping, which includes Webelos since they did away with Outdoor Webelos Leader training, and IOLS is basic Scoutcraft. baloo focuses on the very basics of camping and showing new families how to camp on a budget and using stuff they already have. IOLS get yo up to speed so you are not a burden on your Scouts and other adults.

While the courses are different, someone imaginative could come up with a combined 3 day course that covers both courses. I know some districts combined OWL training and IOLS into one weekend because they were so similar. Plus by showing Cub Adults what is expected at Scouts BSA level, I hope it would improve the Webelos program and start weening the kids form their parents on camp outs when they become Webelos.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I think I i will make the little extra effort and take the combined course. It seems better organized than my local course any way since I can't seem to get an emailed response from the training coordinator from our local training.

My guess is that the "baloo only" is maybe a bit more likely to get into the weeds of the rules a bit more, in how they apply to cubs

but

overall the double certification will be much better in the long run.  more versatile.

In my experience IOLS was a little bit fun in that we did it concurrent with the district's scout campout (i'm drawing a blank on the name, but the one where the troops come together for competition), but it wasn't overly useful or teaching of anything I pretty much didn't already know.

baloo was much worse... a complete waste...99.8% of the students could have easily thought the class....but it was a requirement to complete.

Thanks, I got confirmation over the weekend that if I take the IOLS combined course, I will also get credit for BALOO as long as I have completed the online prework. I believe I need BALOO as a Web Den Leader and since I wont be such for long, IOLS should give more information I can use in the future.

There is very little overlap in IOLS and BALOO.  Even if they teach the same outdoor skills they do so with different purpose.  We usually run them at the same camp on the same weekend (because we have the facilities anyhow) but they are very different courses. 

BALOO is now a blended course (part online and part in person) with a required overnight.  It is the only outdoor skills course for the Cub program.  My read on the language is that it is actually required for all outdoor Cub activities, not just overnights.  As mentioned, the focus is on very new campers and on campers that are new to Scouts - in addition to the camping skills there are also modules on group health/safety, BSA rules etc.

IOLS is outdoor skills for Scouts BSA level folks.  It teaches the same skills as a Scout will learn on the trail to first class.  It is also meant to reinforce the patrol method - participants are grouped into patrols which must plan their meals and gear in advance.  

THe syllabus for both courses are available on scouting.org if you want to see what topics each cover.

Thanks @jjlash I will take a look at the courses to see. All I know is that the district level training coord told me that I would get credit for both - and yes, I NEED BALOO as I will be both leading and taking part in various Cub Scout outdoor activities over the next year. I don't actually need IOLS.