And yet more changes - even Pedro is not spared

13 hours ago, Eagledad said:

Maybe the BSA should get out of the family structure business. I just learn that 51 percent of children in our state (Oklahoma) are being raised by ltheir grand parents. FIFTY ONE PERCENT!  

I'm not sure I believe the 51% number. This takes away nothing from the rest of what you said but it sounds orders of magnitude worse than what I see. So I poked around. The US census bureau's quick facts page for OK said 24% of 3.9M people in OK, or close to 1M, are under the age of 18. I found a USNews article that said 88k households in Oklahoma are grandparents raising grandchildren. (There are 1.3M households in OK). In order for 88k grandparents to raise 50% of 1M children each grandparent must be raising around 5.7 kids. That's average.

According to grandfamilies.org, in Oklahoma, 5% of children live with a relative with no parent present and 10% live in a home where the householder is a grandparent or other relative.

Could it be that the 51% are homes where both children and grandparents also live?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK,   let me try to clarify my point as well.    National  obviously wants a coed program  they need the numbers ( read $) but is afraid of the reaction if they come out and say so.   So the

I think people get my point though.  Sure the BSA has an oath and law.  They are pretty generic statements.  They define a code of conduct by which we expect scouts to live.   The BSA gets i

So so dumb.  Everything CSE said about the BSA understanding and embracing the differences of the genders and supporting single gender instruction is a bald faced lie.  Actions speak louder than words

5 minutes ago, MattR said:

I'm not sure I believe the 51% number. This takes away nothing from the rest of what you said but it sounds orders of magnitude worse than what I see. So I poked around. The US census bureau's quick facts page for OK said 24% of 3.9M people in OK, or close to 1M, are under the age of 18. I found a USNews article that said 88k households in Oklahoma are grandparents raising grandchildren. (There are 1.3M households in OK). In order for 88k grandparents to raise 50% of 1M children each grandparent must be raising around 5.7 kids. That's average.

According to grandfamilies.org, in Oklahoma, 5% of children live with a relative with no parent present and 10% live in a home where the householder is a grandparent or other relative.

Could it be that the 51% are homes where both children and grandparents also live?

I don’t know. My son in law is in marketing and one of his State of Oklahoma clients told him that figure. I will ask him where they got that number. But a friend also raise the same question and wondered if that included grandparents who take care of their grandkids during the day while the parents were at work. Seems more reasonable. 

Barry