From National Annual Meeting: OA Eligibility Updates

On 5/27/2018 at 11:20 PM, The Latin Scot said:

Well, I will be receiving my Brotherhood Honor this weekend. Looks like I will be getting it just in time too, before leaving Scouting. Just in time indeed. :happy:

You may want to review what sealing your membership in the brotherhood means. The following is from the OA on brotherhood

"4) Plan for Service in your Lodge 
A) Retain your registration in your Lodge and keep your dues paid. 
• Be aware that acceptance of Brotherhood Membership involves a pledge of service to 
the Lodge. 
• Develop a concrete idea of how you plan to fulfill this pledge.
"

Becoming a Brotherhood member is about making a pledge of service to you unit, lodge, OA, and scouting.  Now there are plenty of people who get their brotherhood sash and disappear. And I will not presume that you will not make a difference in the next 18 months. Just something on which to reflect. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Wednesday, May 23, 2018, the National Order of the Arrow Committee approved some exciting updates to the Order of the Arrow program! Beginning February 1, 2019, unit elections will be permitte

big open field + tent city + few actual unit leaders + adolescent male and female "Arrow-people" mixing freely....

On the contrary, I can understand @Chris1's concerns in light of my previous remark; I am happy to address it.  I went through my Ordeal 21 years ago when I was 14. I didn't understand what I was

7 hours ago, Gwaihir said:

"the lore is part of the integral the way water..."

I think I have mild dyslexia... what the heck kind of a sentence is that! 

It reminds me of the time George W. Bush tried to say “Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.”  It did not go well.

29 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

It reminds me of the time George W. Bush tried to say “Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.”  It did not go well.

low blow.  "the lore is an integral part the way water" so much for self deprecation.  

1 hour ago, Chris1 said:

You may want to review what sealing your membership in the brotherhood means. The following is from the OA on brotherhood

"4) Plan for Service in your Lodge 
A) Retain your registration in your Lodge and keep your dues paid. 
• Be aware that acceptance of Brotherhood Membership involves a pledge of service to 
the Lodge. 
• Develop a concrete idea of how you plan to fulfill this pledge.
"

Becoming a Brotherhood member is about making a pledge of service to you unit, lodge, OA, and scouting.  Now there are plenty of people who get their brotherhood sash and disappear. And I will not presume that you will not make a difference in the next 18 months. Just something on which to reflect. 

this post comes off as a very unkind and discourteous. 

On the contrary, I can understand @Chris1's concerns in light of my previous remark; I am happy to address it. 

I went through my Ordeal 21 years ago when I was 14. I didn't understand what I was getting into, I didn't understand the OA, and I didn't care much for it when I finished my youth Scouting career not much later. I knew it was a good organization that taught good things, but nobody ever taught me what the greater significance was, and I was never once afterwards invited to an OA event, told about an OA activity, nor informed about OA service projects. For all I knew, the Ordeal was the entirety of the Order.

Two years ago I was thrown back into the world of Scouting when I was called on to serve as a Webelos Den Leader. I jumped in full throttle, and made it my mission to learn everything there was to know about the BSA and Scouting in general. This led me to rediscover the OA, and in my research, to realize what a large, important, and life-changing organization it could be in the lives of the boys under my care. I wanted the boys in my Pack to strive to live the ideals the OA espouses. I wanted the boys in our Troop to honor the OA and participate in its programs. And I wanted to advance my role by receiving my Brotherhood honor. 

Naturally, I knew I needed to earn it. I renewed my dues, became active in my local chapter, and started promoting the OA in our Troop. We hadn't had an election in over a decade. So it took a lot of work, a lot of influencing, and a lot of effort, but we have finally started having elections, our boys are starting to take an active role in our chapter, and this weekend, 20 years overdue, I am finally receiving my Brotherhood honor, and I will be proud to contribute all of my talents and energies to the Order for the next 18 months, before my Church moves on to a new program that will require me to shift my focus and energies.

But I have given this years of thought, and I think it would be a profound personal loss if I didn't complete this part of my OA path by receiving my Brotherhood honor and ensuring that my boys devote 18 months of the finest service possible while we are still a part of this fine organization. I intend to "go out with a bang, not with a whimper," as the vogue LDS mantra seems to be lately. So upon deep and long reflection, I am deeply grateful that I will be able to achieve my Brotherhood honor and still have time to make a meaningful contribution before we move on to other things. I am sorry if my earlier post trivialized my perspective; I hope this helps clarify my point of view.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I cannot speak to The Latin Scot’s plans, but I have spoken to a number of LDS Scouters that are planning on staying involved with Scouting.

Refardless of his plans, I have no doubt he will continue to serve others, which is fully within the spirit of the OA.

59 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

On the contrary, I can understand @Chris1's concerns in light of my previous remark; I am happy to address it. 

I went through my Ordeal 21 years ago when I was 14. I didn't understand what I was getting into, I didn't understand the OA, and I didn't care much for it when I finished my youth Scouting career not much later. I knew it was a good organization that taught good things, but nobody ever taught me what the greater significance was, and I was never once afterwards invited to an OA event, told about an OA activity, nor informed about OA service projects. For all I knew, the Ordeal was the entirety of the Order.

Two years ago I was thrown back into the world of Scouting when I was called on to serve as a Webelos Den Leader. I jumped in full throttle, and made it my mission to learn everything there was to know about the BSA and Scouting in general. This led me to rediscover the OA, and in my research, to realize what a large, important, and life-changing organization it could be in the lives of the boys under my care. I wanted the boys in my Pack to strive to live the ideals the OA espouses. I wanted the boys in our Troop to honor the OA and participate in its programs. And I wanted to advance my role by receiving my Brotherhood honor. 

Naturally, I knew I needed to earn it. I renewed my dues, became active in my local chapter, and started promoting the OA in our Troop. We hadn't had an election in over a decade. So it took a lot of work, a lot of influencing, and a lot of effort, but we have finally started having elections, our boys are starting to take an active role in our chapter, and this weekend, 20 years overdue, I am finally receiving my Brotherhood honor, and I will be proud to contribute all of my talents and energies to the Order for the next 18 months, before my Church moves on to a new program that will require me to shift my focus and energies.

But I have given this years of thought, and I think it would be a profound personal loss if I didn't complete this part of my OA path by receiving my Brotherhood honor and ensuring that my boys devote 18 months of the finest service possible while we are still a part of this fine organization. I intend to "go out with a bang, not with a whimper," as the vogue LDS mantra seems to be lately. So upon deep and long reflection, I am deeply grateful that I will be able to achieve my Brotherhood honor and still have time to make a meaningful contribution before we move on to other things. I am sorry if my earlier post trivialized my perspective; I hope this helps clarify my point of view.

18 months of devoted service is probably more than we get from 75% who go through Ordeal nationally, so I say kudos to you and enjoy the moment! WWW

• Upvote 1

@The Latin Scot I am glad to hear it. I had a feeling that it might be something like that. Thank you for not taking my comments negatively as I made them only to make prompt introspection. I now know that you had already done that. 

I am happy to call you my brother, and I hope you find the Brotherhood ceremony meaningful. Listen to all that is said, and I think you will find many nice connections to LDS teachings. 

I am sure to will continue to be a fine example of the brotherhood of cheerful service well beyond December 31st 2019. 

• Upvote 1

Well, I am off to my Brotherhood honor ordeal ceremony induction camp-out outing whatever on Earth this whole thing is called, lol. I am not sure what to expect but I am excited and eager to serve! Wish me luck!

• Upvote 2
On 6/1/2018 at 4:05 PM, hikeoholic said:

Have a good time. Lucky you; you only have to travel to Oso Lake. We are always out at Lost Valley where we will be doing our Ordeal Weekend next week

That's right, I forgot you are in OC too! I am doubly lucky since I live only 10 minutes down Los Alisos from Oso Lake, so it is incredibly convenient. Yet somehos this was that first time I have ever been to that campsite despite living in this neighborhood my entire life!

And yes, it was a LONG, back-breaking day; my allergies went bananas, I got burned, starved, smoke and dust every where , dozens of whiny tired boys who coudn't keep silent for 10 minutes much less 24 hours - and I love every minute of it. I made friends, I got a fresh perspective on service and leadership, and after 21 years, I have finally become a Brotherhood member of the Order of the Arrow. Now I am off to Chuch for a few hours before I come home to die, LOL. :p