From National Annual Meeting: OA Eligibility Updates

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Wednesday, May 23, 2018, the National Order of the Arrow Committee approved some exciting updates to the Order of the Arrow program! Beginning February 1, 2019, unit elections will be permitte

big open field + tent city + few actual unit leaders + adolescent male and female "Arrow-people" mixing freely....

On the contrary, I can understand @Chris1's concerns in light of my previous remark; I am happy to address it.  I went through my Ordeal 21 years ago when I was 14. I didn't understand what I was

9 hours ago, FireStone said:

It could be. It just means making the effort to change the script. The lore isn't the only thing that makes the OA what it is. Sure it's rooted in Lenape history and style, but what makes it special is the mystique about it, the secretiveness, the ceremonies (the act of carrying out the ceremonies, not necessarily the exact lore behind them), etc. 

Swap any cultural lore into an OA ceremony and to me I think it would be just as cool. Imagine an OA based on pacific island culture, island ceremony, dance, and regalia. I think that would easily be just as impressive. I'm not saying to just appropriate another culture, but I think that the OA doesn't need to be entirely dependent on a specific brand of cultural lore to maintain the image of a brotherhood, an honor society, or a somewhat mysterious secretive group. 

Keep the brotherhood, the honor, the core of the organization, and instead of wrapping it in Lenape, wrap it in something else. Or create something else around it. Maybe this is actually an opportunity for the OA to recreate itself in an image that the OA can say is entirely their own. 

Maybe the Sea Scouts will use a pirate theme.  They could have plank walking or keel hauling.  It'll be great!  Or maybe just borrow the Navy's crossing the line ceremony.  The possibilities are endless!

• Haha 1

Woke up this morning suddenly realizing that if girls will be able to join OA, then that means we will need adult women OA members at all chapter meetings, service projects, chapter campouts and other outings, etc. etc.etc. Even if the girls drive themselves to meetings and such, we will still need adult women OA members present.

That will be a giant headache.

• Confused 2
16 hours ago, Gwaihir said:

"we'd have to kill you" I'm shocked Bryan didn't admonish him for such an unkind statement.  Far worse than pointing a water gun at another scout. 

He followed with "just kidding."

I'd say gimme a break, but I'm afraid one of you will post a picture of a limb you just fractured!

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, qwazse said:

I'd say gimme a break, but I'm afraid one of you will post a picture of a limb you just fractured!

scrambling for a picture from Wilderness First Aid class......  🙂

• Haha 1
On 5/23/2018 at 11:57 AM, Gwaihir said:

I really wouldn't be surprised if the Lenni Lanape Lore that is at the foundation of the Order is dropped entirely in 5 years.  

(Emphasis added.)

I realize I am about to commit heresy in the eyes of some, but I don't think the Lenni Lenape lore is "at the foundation" of the OA.  What I think it "at the foundation" of the OA is service, camping, brotherhood (with a small b, but maybe it's going to be siblinghood now anyway), and perhaps other related attributes.  The LL lore is the trappings - important ones, but still trappings.  I think it is there to lend an aura of intrigue to the whole thing.  And maybe a sense that these guys are in their own league.  But take away the lore, the dancing, etc. and you still have a foundation based on service, camping, brother/sisterhood, etc.  But I guess that in the eyes of many, the lore HAS become the foundation, and that's the problem. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

It seems to me a business discussion between the Order and the Naticoke Lenni Lenape is called for.  If the Order has tribal blessing, and if instead of trying to look like Plains Indians, we drill down on one Tribe's heritage, we can move past cultural appropriation. 

• Upvote 1

Well, I will be receiving my Brotherhood Honor this weekend. Looks like I will be getting it just in time too, before leaving Scouting. Just in time indeed. :happy:

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 2
On 5/25/2018 at 7:17 AM, qwazse said:

The point remains, when a bunch of kids spray water guns at each other, they all laugh and have a great time.  kidding around is at the very heart of water gun fights... but Bryan (as the mouth piece of the BSA, I don't know where his heart is on the matter)  tut tuts about how that's not "kind" and is very "unscoutlike" 

Back on topic: 

back on topic, NJC, I can see that argument.  I'd argue that after this long, the lore is part of the integral the way water is part of the mortar that is poured to make a foundation.  Yes, what's important is brotherhood, and service, but without the lore, you're talking about 4H, or some other group.  Why not just drop the OA entirely and do something else.  I'd argue that the trappings are an integral and "foundational" part.  

• Upvote 1