Condom Distribution at World Jamboree

2 hours ago, Hawkwin said:

And further credit to how BSA responded. I know I would have personally called out the Chairman of the Board of Trail Life for his falsehoods and BSA instead took the high road.The damage to BSA is done and a press release clarifying the truth does not undo the misleading narrative.

I'm not sure I give the BSA much credit for taking the high road.  In my mind the high road would have sounded something like this:

"We understand there has been concern in the press and social media about the availability of condoms and alcohol at the upcoming World Scout Jamboree in West Virginia.  We'd like to explain the situation and set the record straight."  No need to mention TLUSA (kind of like political candidates never mentioning their opponents name), no need to state anything but the facts.  And the opportunity to stand up and say, Yes, we agree with these requirements from the WOSM.  That would have been refreshing and honest.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

17 years of working in government here quickly killed off any thoughts of conspiracy in the corridors of power. I suspect the same is true of many other large organisations

That is very generous of you, but I don't think your $0.02 will cover it.  

There's a difference in a Scout and his/her parents making an informed decision about an event and its rules vs. the BSA endorsing a set of rules in contravention of its own policies. The G2SS

11 hours ago, JoeBob said:

"...and leaders think the best way to revive it is to throw a two-week sex party?" - Family Research Council

So so far from the truth, and missing the reality of what the Jamboree will be like by so much.

Edited by RememberSchiff
attributed quote
  • Upvote 4
14 hours ago, JoeBob said:

A clarification brought about after the fact by bad publicity. However alcohol was allowed (for leaders?) in prior WSJs on foreign soil. 

Not a falsehood on the part of Trail Life.

Speaking of clarifications, I'm still hoping you'll clarify what you meant when you falsely stated that WOSM staff could be jailed for providing condoms.

• Upvote 1
On May 25, 2018 at 3:19 AM, ianwilkins said:

So so far from the truth, and missing the reality of what the Jamboree will be like by so much.

Hush, Ian! Sometimes even bad press sells tickets! :rolleyes:

Sons were quite amused to hear that I'm now assisting in a 2WSP. Son #2 scoffed, "Wasn't that what we were doing already?"

I've often told them that when they hear murmurs about sinners and publicans at their table, to check if the Master's seared nearby.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, qwazse said:

Hush, Ian! Sometimes even bad press sells tickets! :rolleyes:

Sons were quite amused to hear that I'm now assisting in a 2WSP. Son #2 scoffed, "Wasn't that what we were doing already?"

I've often told them that when they hear murmurs about sinners and publicans at their table, to check if the Master's seared nearby.

What’s a 2WSP?

edited - Oooooohh now I get it.

Edited by shortridge
  • Haha 1

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned three important points:

1.  If any scouts are working on Wilderness Survival MB, they should head over to the health tent and pick up some of the free emergency water storage containers.

2.  In accordance with the G2SS, I hope someone reminds the scouts that they should not attempt to use these as water balloons and throw them at other people.

3.  In accordance with Leave No Trace principles, if any scouts violate #2, they should be reminded to thoroughly clean up all residue after the water balloon fight.

@MattHiggins, will Bechtel really lock out the beer tent? Probably. There are plenty of other countries who would happy to not hazard some scouter getting loaded then driving a WV ridge road.

Hide the "reminder" bowls of prophylaxis? Unlikely. Not worth risking the hundreds dead worldwide to keep up the appearance of 100% of membership hewing to a restrictive sexual ethic.

Locking the beer tent?     

Has anyone considered that this is West Virginia?      How much 'shine y'all  figger them Scout fellas can drink?    I know someone who knows someone who can brew up a batch or two.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

Locking the beer tent?     

Has anyone considered that this is West Virginia?      How much 'shine y'all  figger them Scout fellas can drink?    I know someone who knows someone who can brew up a batch or two.

Back in the 90s my venture scout unit used to brew its own beer and wine for the Christmas party. Ah the memories! (It was disgusting stuff)

20 hours ago, clemlaw said:

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned three important points:

1.  If any scouts are working on Wilderness Survival MB, they should head over to the health tent and pick up some of the free emergency water storage containers.

2.  In accordance with the G2SS, I hope someone reminds the scouts that they should not attempt to use these as water balloons and throw them at other people.

3.  In accordance with Leave No Trace principles, if any scouts violate #2, they should be reminded to thoroughly clean up all residue after the water balloon fight.

Not necessary.   Order the "Box of Joe"  from Dunkin.   After the 'Joe' is drunk, disassemble the box. Recycle the cardboard, the coffee bladder is a triple layer , VERY tough bag. Rinse well, you have a collapsible  water bag, swim support, punching bag,  silver surfer support, pillow,  etc. etc.   Free..... 

• Like 1