Condom Distribution at World Jamboree

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

17 years of working in government here quickly killed off any thoughts of conspiracy in the corridors of power. I suspect the same is true of many other large organisations

That is very generous of you, but I don't think your $0.02 will cover it.  

There's a difference in a Scout and his/her parents making an informed decision about an event and its rules vs. the BSA endorsing a set of rules in contravention of its own policies. The G2SS

The one thing I was thinking of as I was driving, and I wager many an exec at National is fretting over this since the MeToo movement started, but with World Jambo+MeToo+Girls In Scouting+Condoms distributed at Jambo.... if there's one even slightly reasonable allegation of rape that comes out of Jambo (God forbid)... Scouting in America will be over.  The national stage, the media pouncing over any thing remotely related to scouts and girls... I don't see the organization recovering.  I hope that doesn't happen, but I have to imagine National has concerns that have been elevated since MeToo became a national movement. 

Edited by Gwaihir
1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

As odd as it might sound,  anyone can buy condoms in West Virginia.

Doesn't sound odd at all. Teen pregnancies would skyrocket if there was a minimum age for condom purchase. 

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Cambridgeskip said:

BSA can indeed influence but it can't dictate. Numbers wise BSA makes up approx 7% of members. Probably more financially but ultimately has only a certain amount of leverage. In addition the management of the jamboree isn't purely BSA. There are three host nations and WOSM involved. It's not a BSA event that the world is invited to, it's a WOSM event at a BSA site. There are a lot of parallels with hosting the Olympics. The host country only has so much wriggle room. IOC rules sit at the top. I imagine that BSA have signed all kinds of legal contracts with WOSM to host this and simply refusing to play by their rules now will land them in massive legal and financial problems. 

I think that that is a great analogy...  also, put the shoe on the other foot.  Would we want other hosts to be able to push their values and religious mores on our scouts at a World Jamboree?

Put another way, how would people here feel about the host nation's religious views if the event were say, joinly hosted by Yemen, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE, and they prohibited female Scouters and Jewish Scouts from attending?

• Upvote 3
14 hours ago, Cambridgeskip said:

BSA can indeed influence but it can't dictate. Numbers wise BSA makes up approx 7% of members. Probably more financially but ultimately has only a certain amount of leverage. In addition the management of the jamboree isn't purely BSA. There are three host nations and WOSM involved. It's not a BSA event that the world is invited to, it's a WOSM event at a BSA site. There are a lot of parallels with hosting the Olympics. The host country only has so much wriggle room. IOC rules sit at the top. I imagine that BSA have signed all kinds of legal contracts with WOSM to host this and simply refusing to play by their rules now will land them in massive legal and financial problems.

I wonder if the Olympics analogy extends to being a money loser for the host(s)?

Boston was the USOC preferred site for the 2024 Summer Olympics. The International Olympic Committee requirements for facilities, infrastructure (We can't get the MBTA to run), security, etc. would have required Massachusetts taxpayers to fork over millions. Recall Romney got federal money for Utah Winter Olympics,  going back to that well was not happening after the Big Dig cost overruns.In the end, the taxpayers said No Thanks.

How much revenue will go to hosts, BSA, and Summit and will that revenue cover our costs?

My $0.02,

5 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

I wonder if the Olympics analogy extends to being a money loser for the host(s)?

Boston was the USOC preferred site for the 2024 Summer Olympics. The International Olympic Committee requirements for facilities, infrastructure (We can't get the MBTA to run), security, etc. would have required Massachusetts taxpayers to fork over millions. Recall Romney got federal money for Utah Winter Olympics,  going back to that well was not happening after the Big Dig cost overruns.In the end, the taxpayers said No Thanks.

How much revenue will go to hosts, BSA, and Summit and will that revenue cover our costs?

My $0.02,

I honestly don't know how that works. I'd be interested to know though. Jamborees don't come cheap to run.

What I do know is some recent jamborees (Japan, UK, Netherlands) used the normal venue for music festivals and because they came with existing infrastructure it saved quite a lot of money. The UK venue is the site of the V music festival. Many of the jamboree infrastructure costs were met by Virgin who run the festival.

I guess you don't have that advantage.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Cambridgeskip said:

I honestly don't know how that works. I'd be interested to know though. Jamborees don't come cheap to run.

What I do know is some recent jamborees (Japan, UK, Netherlands) used the normal venue for music festivals and because they came with existing infrastructure it saved quite a lot of money. The UK venue is the site of the V music festival. Many of the jamboree infrastructure costs were met by Virgin who run the festival.

I guess you don't have that advantage.

Virgin sponsored the jamboree that handed out condoms. That's ironic.

• Haha 1

Anyone have the link to the news about the Summit being the ONLY venue to profit from the WVa law concerning the tax exemption for Music Festivals or such?  Something like that.... ?

And what ever happened to the Summit being used for the Ultra Marathon thingy that usually hands out free beer after the race? Did that  transpire?

Oh, and some forth hand rumor mongering....   anyone know how many Jambo Staff (youth or adult) were removed for such moral transgressions as has been discussed here abouts?  Scout staffer in my ken came home with stories of Scouts and Scouters being removed home for pot smoking and "other things".

19 hours ago, Gwaihir said:

no. again, not a difficult concept.  I have repeatedly stated that what's being called into question is why we want a game that is opposite our rules in the first place.  I'm not sure why this is such a difficult concept. 

In a word, BSA needs Summit Bechtel to generate revenue to cover the various loans. 

20 hours ago, gblotter said:

So to be clear ... G2SS rules do not apply at WSJ and sexual activity between Scouts at that event does not need to be reported?

First, it's a national camp, so G2SS is not the governing document, National Camp Standards and ACA standards kick into play. 

Second:. This is a WOSM event, hosted by BSA so BSA can get the revenue. Our rules aren't as important as their rules. 

Thats how I see this. 

2 minutes ago, John-in-KC said:

In a word, BSA needs Summit Bechtel to generate revenue to cover the various loans. 

Yup.  My local Council forces all events to their properties, despite the fact that the county parks system is better equipped for some of them.  The super irony, Council charges us more than our parks will.  It's internal transfer costs so it's not real (nor do I care, as a council event runner, if the event makes a profit, which they do), but it makes the council properties look "profitable" when they are not, they are just moving programming money over to cover the boondoggles.

I think that BSA should get out of the landlord business, because running expensive properties that are only open weekends and vacations is ridiculous when taxpayer funded alternatives are able to operate at a law 365-days/year.

But, it's super excited for a Scout Executive to show off his properties, or national to show off their "High Adventure basis."  We introduced cheaper programming options that increased retention by 3% isn't super excited.

It's the same reasons that universities build palatial buildings, it's what donors want their name on and non-profit executives are sales people whose commission is "kudos" that focus on money raised, not profits, because there are none.

BSA needs Summit to make money because BSA owns Summit.  BSA shouldn't own Summit, but that's neither here nor there.  A federally funded cheap facility for Jamborees was just fine.

3 minutes ago, Pack18Alex said:

A federally funded cheap facility for Jamborees was just fine.

DOD, in the midst of OEF & OIF, was no longer interested in the troop bill IT had to pay to support a jamboree on Defense properties. That's part of why the search for the Summit began...

33 minutes ago, JasonG172 said:

Cant wait to see some of the Patches!

I believe the UK has about 100 "units" going, of 36 youth plus adults, Surrey, my county, have Units 64, 65, and 66. Not sure which county has the next number, or the next,....or....the one after that...

I know the three Surrey units have made fundraising patches, all units will I guess. I've bought the Unit 66 one (so far). Not nearly Route 66 enough for my liking....

No automatic alt text available.

Here's 64's

s-l1600.jpg

Can't find 65s.

Edited by ianwilkins
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1