Condom Distribution at World Jamboree

The BSA does not approve, but World Scouting is mandating the availability of condoms at the World Jamboree.  Apparently this is not new, but it's hitting the news now along with all of the other changes going on with Boy Scouts.

I'm really starting to get the feeling that people who want to destroy the Boy Scouts from within are now in top leadership positions.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/22/boy-scouts-require-condoms-upcoming-world-jamboree/

• Downvote 1
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

17 years of working in government here quickly killed off any thoughts of conspiracy in the corridors of power. I suspect the same is true of many other large organisations

That is very generous of you, but I don't think your $0.02 will cover it.  

There's a difference in a Scout and his/her parents making an informed decision about an event and its rules vs. the BSA endorsing a set of rules in contravention of its own policies. The G2SS

This is unfortunate timing. I am getting quite a bit of flack from parents in my troop. Its not just condoms but alcohol also being allowed (although limited).

55 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

The BSA does not approve, but World Scouting is mandating the availability of condoms at the World Jamboree.  Apparently this is not new, but it's hitting the news now along with all of the other changes going on with Boy Scouts.

I'm really starting to get the feeling that people who want to destroy the Boy Scouts from within are now in top leadership positions.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/22/boy-scouts-require-condoms-upcoming-world-jamboree/

This statement makes no sense. You acknowledge immediately that "this is not new", but then go on to imply that this is part of some planned destruction of the BSA by people now in top leadership positions. Many (if not all) of those leaders would have nothing to do with condom availability at a World Jambo because those top leaders probably didn't have those positions anyway when condoms were first made available at a World Jambo all those years ago. 

If anything, this seems like a well-timed article aimed at taking advantage of other national BSA news to attack the reputation of the organization and exploit current opposition to the various membership policy changes. 

Edited by FireStone
  • Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, TMSM said:

This is unfortunate timing. I am getting quite a bit of flack from parents in my troop. Its not just condoms but alcohol also being allowed (although limited).

I'd just be upfront with my families about it.  Something like:

This is a World Organization of the Scouting Movement (WOSM) event and these are their rules.  The BSA under the terms of the agreement to serve as host is bound to implement the WOSM rules.  The BSA is working to implement those rules in a way that is consistent with the BSA's values - but ultimately the BSA will comply with tho WOSM rules.  The however, does not indicate a change in the rules of the BSA itself.  This is a unique situation due to the nature of this specific event.

We as parents and leaders may have preferred for the BSA to withdraw from the event, but ultimately the BSA did not.

If you (as parents) are uncomfortable with this decision, you should not send their Scout to the World Jamboree.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Where did you read that BSA does not approve? The BSA has sent scouts to seven WSJ's since this policy was implemented. (Thanks to @RememberSchiff for the quote gathered by snopes.)

It's a policy BTW, hewn from the WHO playbook. I remember the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports from that time. Not fun watching the start of a pandemic. (Graphs that looked like tracking planes off an airport runway.) Nobody knew if or how death would be forestalled -- especially in many third world countries. A world of very poor and desperate people quickly warmed to the use of latex, and death rates began to level off.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, FireStone said:

If anything, this seems like a well-timed article aimed at taking advantage of other national BSA news to attack the reputation of the organization and exploit current opposition to the various membership policy changes. 

I believe the last world scout jamboree to be held in the United States was in 1967, long before the WOSM policy was adopted. So, it shouldn't be surprising that the topic hasn't received much attention here (before now).

I think it is obvious that the timing of these articles is due to the 2019 jamboree being held in the United States, and has little to do with the other issues. This would have been a "story" even if the membership changes hadn't taken place this year.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, 69RoadRunner said:

No, the original story popped up on biased click-bait sites and is being falsely advanced by the Chairman of the Board of Trail Life - a competitor to BSA.

This policy of WOSM has been around since 1999.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, David CO said:

I believe the last world scout jamboree to be held in the United States was in 1967, long before the WOSM policy was adopted. So, it shouldn't be surprising that the topic hasn't received much attention here (before now).

I think it is obvious that the timing of these articles is due to the 2019 jamboree being held in the United States, and has little to do with the other issues. This would have been a "story" even if the membership changes hadn't taken place this year.

BSA families have been sending scouts to World Jambo all this time, though. Surely this isn't an issue now just because the condoms are being made available on US soil. If there is any outrage about this now, there should have been the same 4 years ago. Otherwise this is just a cover for being upset about the membership policy changes. 

1 minute ago, FireStone said:

BSA families have been sending scouts to World Jambo all this time, though. Surely this isn't an issue now just because the condoms are being made available on US soil. If there is any outrage about this now, there should have been the same 4 years ago. Otherwise this is just a cover for being upset about the membership policy changes. 

I think you over estimate the news worthiness of stories about scouts. WSJ held abroad isn't a story. On home soil it is. Same for every country. With you chaps it's got the added bonus for the media of the membership changes but the the rule still stands. The home soil press will go looking for jamboree related stories the rest of the world generally won't.

• Upvote 3
45 minutes ago, FireStone said:

This statement makes no sense. You acknowledge immediately that "this is not new", but then go on to imply that this is part of some planned destruction of the BSA by people now in top leadership positions. Many (if not all) of those leaders would have nothing to do with condom availability at a World Jambo because those top leaders probably didn't have those positions anyway when condoms were first made available at a World Jambo all those years ago. 

Obviously, leadership is playing the ultimate long game.  In 2002 our present leaders saw that condoms were available at World Jamboree, so launched a campaign to host the 2019 Jambo in the US, knowing the firestorm that would rain down, very much like the prophylactics that will surely rain down as they're launched from one of those T-Shirt cannons into the crowds.   Their superior foresight and planning skills also allowed this apocalypse to coincide with the world-shocking announcement to allow girls into Boy Scouts (forgetting for a minute that they've been in since the 70s).  Now their master plan is coming together and they will soon launch the final phase of BSA's destruction from within...allowing adults to go back and earn their Eagle.

I'm not entirely sure how well this tin-foil hat plan meshes with those that say BSA leadership has terrible vision and planning ability, but if there's one thing I've learned over the years it is that conspiracy theories don't necessarily need a whole lot of logic to be believed. 

Edited by Pale Horse
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, David CO said:

It is...and please don't call me Shirley.

What's your vector Victor?

Now, as every day is a school day, in the aid of cultural understanding...

just because the condoms are being made available on US soil

Is that not normal then? Are they not generally available in the states?

4 minutes ago, ianwilkins said:

What's your vector Victor?

Now, as every day is a school day, in the aid of cultural understanding...

Is that not normal then? Are they not generally available in the states?

Condoms are available in the States, but not generally distributed for free at BSA activities, as BSA was all male.

• Thanks 1