Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Saltface

If men carry purses, what would be in yours

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, FireStone said:

Everyone's "why would I" is going to be different, and often times unpredictable. I don't need a flashlight every day, but the one day I really did need one I didn't have one (I was on the 21st floor of a building in NYC when the city went dark and the building's backup generator failed). I don't want to ever have to make my way down that many stairs in the dark again, so now there is a flashlight in my bag every day. 

Maybe I don't need a pocket knife every day, but I have one for the times when it might be useful. We won't always know what those times will be, but to me it's something easy enough to carry daily even if the "why would I" need it is a rare occasion. 

If cell phones ever stopped having built-in flashlights, I would probably start carrying a tiny headlamp. Now that I have one easily available, I use it almost every day (just like my knife).

One of my favorite What-If questions: If men carried purses, what would be in yours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saltface said:

If cell phones ever stopped having built-in flashlights, I would probably start carrying a tiny headlamp. Now that I have one easily available, I use it almost every day (just like my knife).

One of my favorite What-If questions: If men carried purses, what would be in yours?

Knife, flashlight, first aid kit (very basic), small binoculars, tissues, eyeglass repair kit, microfiber for eyeglasses, phone charger bank, phone cords, sunglasses, can coozie.  If 55% of men started carrying them, I would. 

Edited by perdidochas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, perdidochas said:

Knife, flashlight, first aid kit (very basic), small binoculars, tissues, eyeglass repair kit, microfiber for eyeglasses, phone charger bank, phone cords, sunglasses, can coozie.  If 55% of men started carrying them, I would. 

I have a backpack I carry every day, it's got small first aid kit, tissues, battery pack and charger cords, sun glasses, hand sanitizer and a couple of cliff bars in it, standard.  knife and flashlight are in my pocket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

I have a backpack I carry every day, it's got small first aid kit, tissues, battery pack and charger cords, sun glasses, hand sanitizer and a couple of cliff bars in it, standard.  knife and flashlight are in my pocket. 

Not a bad idea. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saltface said:

One of my favorite What-If questions: If men carried purses, what would be in yours?

Does my backpack count?  Flashlight, multi-tool, pen/pencil, lint brush, first aid kit, cpr kit, notebook, instructions for accessing some stuff at work, train schedules, small lighter (in case someone randomly offers me a cigar :) ), calculator, umbrella, glasses cleaner, lunch.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Does my backpack count?  Flashlight, multi-tool, pen/pencil, lint brush, first aid kit, cpr kit, notebook, instructions for accessing some stuff at work, train schedules, small lighter (in case someone randomly offers me a cigar :) ), calculator, umbrella, glasses cleaner, lunch.

Not bad. I don't carry it every single day, but friends have referred to my backpack as a man purse: homemade first aid kit, Tigers Milk bars, primary fire starter, para-cord and line, larger multi-tool (I carry a Micra in my pocket), whistle, LED glow stick, secondary fire starter, P-38 can opener, bandanna, emergency poncho, space blanket (which it turns out, are re-packable), tertiary fire starter, MRE drink powder, and flattened roll of toilet paper; among other things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gwaihir said:

I have a backpack I carry every day, it's got small first aid kit, tissues, battery pack and charger cords, sun glasses, hand sanitizer and a couple of cliff bars in it, standard.  knife and flashlight are in my pocket. 

 

30 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Not bad. I don't carry it every single day, but friends have referred to my backpack as a man purse: homemade first aid kit, Tigers Milk bars, primary fire starter, para-cord and line, larger multi-tool (I carry a Micra in my pocket), whistle, LED glow stick, secondary fire starter, P-38 can opener, bandanna, emergency poncho, space blanket (which it turns out, are re-packable), tertiary fire starter, MRE drink powder, and flattened roll of toilet paper; among other things.

Hmmm.  Space blanket and battery pack.  May have to upgrade my pack.  TP is never to be discounted either!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If my briefcase is any indication, all kinds of crap that I don't need.

That's why I usually don't carry a backpack or purse. Walking to get what I need is good excersize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see anyone mention wet wipes. Come on all you old(er) men, you know you use them (like I do).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Saltface said:

One of my favorite What-If questions: If men carried purses, what would be in yours?

Not a "What-If". As the stay-at-home parent I started carrying a bike messenger style bag instead of a diaper bag. Post-diaper, I still often grab it.

Pen, pencil & small flashlight on the strap. Larger flashlight and lock blade w/ seatbelt cutter & window breaking point clipped just inside the flap. Small first-aide kit, small kit of AC chargers, DC battery back-up, cables for phones (anyone's not just mine) & dry cell batteries (AA & AAA's). Wet wipes, bag of bendy straws (remember, started as a diaper bag), a few napkins and empty plastic zip-loc bags. A small weather radio, small digital camera, compass, multi-tool, modest Swiss army knife, hand sanitizer, and a small tape measure. Various granola bars and 500ml of water. A pad of paper and a stick of lip balm. Oh, and it seems I still have a few of those stick down, disposable placemats from Chick-fil-A. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like @qwazse mentioned, I carry a brief case most places because it is part of my job 24x7. If it isn't on my person, it's in my trunk hidden away from sight. 

I carry basic office supplies, wet wipes, basic meds, cords, pocket knife, and magnifying glass. (because the print keeps getting smaller) Also in my trunk are some work gloves, first aid kit (changed out every so often), mug, a collapsible stool, tarp, cordage, stakes, multi-tool, blanket, emergency rain poncho, hat, Frisbee (gives scouts something to do), and a comfy folding chair. 

The thing I use most out of my trunk is my chair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I carry a messenger bag, which I guess is sort of purse-like. 😄

It is probably overkill for my current job and 15-minute car commute, but I think it's a bit of a holdover from my days working in NYC and it was necessary. It's a lot lighter these days, but I still always have a pocketknife, flashlight, sketchbook, pens & pencils, pillbox, business cards (personal as well as Pack cards), water bottle, and occasionaly a laptop.

Edited by FireStone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, FireStone said:

I carry a messenger bag, which I guess is sort of purse-like. 😄

 

I prefer to call it my Jack Bauer bag.  :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×