Moderators,

Got to admit.  I'm not sure why you locked and then hid the thread.  

Was it because of the "adult nature" of the content?  Was it because of the debate over values?

The comment and you'll lock future threads just has me wondering what to stay away from.

Not complaining or questioning, just looking for clarity.

• Upvote 2
24 minutes ago, FormerProfessional said:

I thought the United States Congress established The Boy Scouts of America in 1910. How does the WOSM have authority of a “scout license” and power to revoke it from the Boy Scouts of America?

WOSM doesn't have a "scout license" but they could, in theory at least, revoke the BSA's membership in that association.

46 minutes ago, FormerProfessional said:

(quoting someone else) "BSA is a national member society of WOSM. WOSM is the ultimate grantor of the license for Scouting."

That's an odd statement (about WOSM being the grantor of a license for scouting). I'm sure WOSM would like things to be that way, but as Baden-Powell put it many years ago, "Scouting is a movement, not an organization." There are many scouting and guiding associations that have nothing to do with WOSM or WAGGGS.

• Upvote 2
49 minutes ago, Peregrinator said:

WOSM doesn't have a "scout license" but they could, in theory at least, revoke the BSA's membership in that association.

That doesn't sound so bad. Between the proclivity towards promiscuity, antipathy towards knives, and uninspiring coed programs of other countries...

• Upvote 1

My understanding is that the WOSM is like the United Nations.  National Scouting organizations can be members and work collectively together, but they don't grant the license for a Scouting association.  

All I know is there was a link to an article from quite a few years ago in the original thread, an I would like to reference it on my cousin Robbie's wall. But now I have to go fish. :confused:

8 hours ago, Saltface said:

That doesn't sound so bad. Between the proclivity towards promiscuity, antipathy towards knives, and uninspiring coed programs of other countries...

Ha ha, very good. 

Ian (UK degenerate)

P.s. moderators, seriously, if it was anything I said, or stirred someone else to say from my comments, my heartfelt apologies.

Edited by ianwilkins
added a PS
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, JoeBob said:

http://www.wnd.com/2018/05/condoms-required-at-scouts-24th-world-jamboree/

It's been a long conversation with the moderators.

A response to above link. Note in this response,  Vice Chairperson of the World Scout Committee Andy Chapman is American. What remains unanswered is how

the hosts Scouts Canada, the Scout Association of Mexico, and the Boy Scouts of America will implement the requirements.  Will it be by hosts, nations, units,...? How will parents be notified (this was news to me!)?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/boy-scouts-condoms-jamboree/

And a link to WOSM Guidelines for Hosting World Jamborees

Original topic is still under moderator review. Please keep discussion professional and respectful. Thank you.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2