Required Worksheets?

21 hours ago, ValleyBoy said:

We except both.  The question is what do you do if the youth loses there scout Handbook.

We use Troopmaster to keep track of advancement. Our Advancement chair takes photos of Handbook pages with her phone after each BOR. I ask Scouts who are working on ranks up through First Class to see their books often, and take photos myself, then enter the info into Troopmaster. This allows me to report to the SPL what skills might need to be worked on during Troop meetings or on camping trips. He brings that info to the PLC so they can plan properly. BTW, in the 5 years I have been involved with this Troop, the only handbooks that are ever misplaced are just buried in messy bedrooms. Not one Scout has ever lost his book permanently.

These worksheets, IMHO of course, are counterproductive if they are replacing conversations between Scouts and PLs and TGs, who should be doing the signing off of the requirements. It also seems like they may be replacing conversations between Scouts and SM/ASM. So this Troop isn't looking like a Scout run organization, and the opportunities for adult association, and the adult leaders really getting to know and appreciate these Scouts.

Edited by AVTech
29 minutes ago, AVTech said:

These worksheets, IMHO of course, are counterproductive if they are replacing conversations between Scouts and PLs and TGs, who should be doing the signing off of the requirements. It also seems like they may be replacing conversations between Scouts and SM/ASM. So this Troop isn't looking like a Scout run organization, and the opportunities for adult association, and the adult leaders really getting to know and appreciate these Scouts.

AMEN

Our troop does Scout BoRs.  We know and acknowledge it is not a requirement.  If any Scout or Parent points that out and says they will not we would not argue the point or hold a grudge.  As adv chair I do not hide the fact it is not rqd and tell parents as such.  We do it to give the boys additional opportunities to practice  a) sched/attending the BoR, coming in full uni w/ their book, speaking w/ the panel and an opportunity to provide the troop feedback on their journey to that point--especially since these are our newest scouts.  It also gets our adults a chance to meet our new scouts and it is great way for me to increase my pool of adults and train parents on BoRs.  And I explain that to all my new parents, again pointing out while what we are doing is additional/optional--it is not required and their kid is a scout after the SM conf.  We have not held up any kid because we couldn't/wouldnt get a scout bor done.

On 5/22/2018 at 3:59 PM, ValleyBoy said:

We except both.  The question is what do you do if the youth loses there scout Handbook.

Well, first, we tell the boys to take pics of their requirements, now that camera phones are universal.  We also give them the option to give their books to the Advancement Chair (or Scribe) to put into Troop Web Host.  Also, we highly encourage the use of the book protectors, which make books easier to identify, and give some protection. 

• Upvote 1

Update:

I emailed the SM and expressed my concerns regarding the worksheets and my son’s learning disability.  He replied with several options, including skipping the worksheets altogether.  

They will continue to use the worksheets in the troop, but I’m glad this accommodation was made for my son.   

Thanks for the helpful advice.  It was nice to get your feedback and suggestions on how to effectively approach the SM with my concerns. 

• Thanks 1
On 5/22/2018 at 12:33 AM, Jenn said:

... the parents were handed a folder which contained worksheets for the boys to fill out prior to every rank advancement.  ...

I dread yet another checklist, workbook, pamphlet, rule set, teaching guide, etc.  Adults need to keep out of the scout's hair.  Scouts have their Boy Scout handbook and merit badge books.  I've rarely found a need for more.  These are the ones I don't mind.   

• A troop cook book ... ideas for troop favorite recipes
  • A troop song book ... ideas for troop favorite songs
  • A troop trip book ... ideas for troop favorite trips and activities

My key point is that we need to stop trying to solve problems for the scouts.  Often our efforts add more problems then they solve.  We adding overhead and paperwork.  No one enjoys extra paperwork.  Worse, we prevent the scouts from working through the issue themselves.  It's through working through those issues that the scout learns.  

IMHO, checklists, workbooks, pamphlets, rule sets, teaching guides, etc is just another version of helicopter parents.  But in this case, it's helicopter leaders.  

On 5/22/2018 at 9:47 AM, ValleyBoy said:

... youth lose there handbook all the time.  ...

No, they don't.  I've known hundreds of scouts.  I've only had to deal with two or three that truly lost their book.  Misplaced --> yes. Water logged --> yes.   Lost and never found --> rare.  

One reason that I dislike all the extra data recording and worksheets is that it makes extra work and it robs the scouts of the great experience of "taking care of their stuff" and "being responsible" and "experiencing what happens" when things are misplaced or not taken care of properly.  These are life lessons that will happen naturally and that's what we want.  We want the scouts to learn through the natural results of their own actions.  The scouts even lose the experience of seeing someone who is kind and helpful when they screw up.  Usually, if someone loses a book, you help them re-create the records as best you can.  Plus, it's just not that hard to re-create from scratch.

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 1