Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I found this interesting (from section I):

"One-on-one contact between adult leaders and youth members is prohibited both
inside and outside of Scouting."
 
A literal reading of this would mean that I can never again babysit my scout nephew, even if it's not a scouting event.  Yikes.  (Of course an even more literal reading of this means my brother can no longer take his scout son to school while mom takes younger brother to daycare.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KYScouter said:

I found this interesting (from section I):

"One-on-one contact between adult leaders and youth members is prohibited both
inside and outside of Scouting."
 
A literal reading of this would mean that I can never again babysit my scout nephew, even if it's not a scouting event.  Yikes.  (Of course an even more literal reading of this means my brother can no longer take his scout son to school while mom takes younger brother to daycare.)

I've had Scouters try to jump through hoops before to get around G2SS rules by saying - we'll, if I do it and it's not really Scouting - is that OK.  My guess is that's what they are trying to get around.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the type of stuff that makes me think of giving up being a Scouter. When I have to expend more mental energy figuring out whether or not I'm following the ever increasingly complex rules than I expend thinking about programming... the cost/benefit ratio is way out of whack...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2018 at 11:18 PM, KYScouter said:

I found this interesting (from section I):

"One-on-one contact between adult leaders and youth members is prohibited both
inside and outside of Scouting."
 
A literal reading of this would mean that I can never again babysit my scout nephew, even if it's not a scouting event.  Yikes.  (Of course an even more literal reading of this means my brother can no longer take his scout son to school while mom takes younger brother to daycare.)

HI all new here

I just came back from a parade with my son. Guess me and about 30 other leaders just violated the G2SS. 

I also assume I can no longer pick up my friends son from school anymore. 

The committee that writes these rules, really need to think things through. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kryten said:

HI all new here

I just came back from a parade with my son. Guess me and about 30 other leaders just violated the G2SS. 

I also assume I can no longer pick up my friends son from school anymore. 

The committee that writes these rules, really need to think things through. 

 

 

 

The thing is though, I don't remember them saying "only during a scouting event". I really think it is up to how you interpert it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no interpretation needed. it says  "both inside and outside of scouting".

i went back and and also found this in the last sentence of Scouting’s Barriers to Abuse. "Registered leaders must follow these guidelines with all Scouting youth  outside of Scouting activities."

I can see where they are going with this. But i do not take kindly with national telling me what to do outside of scouting activities. am i now to ask all youth i encounter if they are a scout?  And have to alter my interaction with them based on the G2SS?.  I do like to follow the rules🙄

when organizations write Guidelines like this. they need to clearly explain the expectation placed on the leader. it should not be left to interpretation.

I have been a scouter for 7 years now . CM and now ASM. I come from a military background and it drives me crazy when i read guidelines like this. it just causes confusion.

and thank you for the welcome.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Kryten said:

no interpretation needed. it says  "both inside and outside of scouting".

i went back and and also found this in the last sentence of Scouting’s Barriers to Abuse. "Registered leaders must follow these guidelines with all Scouting youth  outside of Scouting activities."

I can see where they are going with this. But i do not take kindly with national telling me what to do outside of scouting activities. am i now to ask all youth i encounter if they are a scout?  And have to alter my interaction with them based on the G2SS?.  I do like to follow the rules🙄

when organizations write Guidelines like this. they need to clearly explain the expectation placed on the leader. it should not be left to interpretation.

I have been a scouter for 7 years now . CM and now ASM. I come from a military background and it drives me crazy when i read guidelines like this. it just causes confusion.

and thank you for the welcome.

 

 

 

Make a shirt or hat that reads "Are you a scout? If so, make sure to have an adult before talking to me!"

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome lol

I am on it. ill make one for all the leaders i know. i could sell them at Roundtable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2018 at 10:32 PM, NealOnWheels said:

Years ago scouts could no longer camp by themselves.  Today it appears they can no longer have meetings or day activities without adults.

"Two registered adult leaders 21 years of age or over are required at all Scouting activities, including meetings."

"Patrol Activities—A Scout patrol may participate in patrol activities. Two-deep adult leadership is required."

so a troop that is planning on taking a crew to Philmont  in 5 weeks with one adult over 21 and one adult of 19 suddenly cant go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

so a troop that is planning on taking a crew to Philmont  in 5 weeks with one adult over 21 and one adult of 19 suddenly cant go?

I'd be calling Philmont ASAP! Under these current guidelines, they can't go.  Heck what about the troop with two 21+ year olds SPLITTING UP THE WEEK, and the only one there the entire week is the 20 YO ASM. Yep happened to me.

Again whether Philmont or summercamp, I'd be making calls ASAP!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kryten said:

 

I can see where they are going with this. But i do not take kindly with national telling me what to do outside of scouting activities. am i now to ask all youth i encounter if they are a scout?  And have to alter my interaction with them based on the G2SS?.  I do like to follow the rules🙄

 

So do I.

I also like to teach my scouts to follow the rules, but that becomes almost impossible when BSA creates ridiculous rules that are totally impractical to follow. I am a teacher. We don't have two deep leadership in the classroom, so it isn't possible for me to follow the BSA guidelines 24/7. It just can't be done.

My concern is that BSA is creating rules that it knows we will have to break. By doing so, it is teaching boys to not respect the rules.

 

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would double check with Philmont

this is from the new 2018 G2SS    version that contains updates as of May 2018.

Adult Supervision Two registered adult leaders 21 years of age or over are required at all Scouting activities, including meetings. There must be a registered female adult leader over 21 in every unit serving females. A registered female adult leader over 21 must be present for any activity involving female youth. Notwithstanding the minimum leader requirements, age- and program-appropriate supervision must always be provided. All adults accompanying a Scouting unit who are present at the activity for 72 total hours or more must be registered as leaders. The 72 hours need not be consecutive

it now also applies to patrol activities.

Patrol Activities—A Scout patrol may participate in patrol activities. Two deep adult leadership is required ( i assume 21 and older)

Sadly in today's world under 21 is not considered an adult.

 

Edited by Kryten
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Here is hoping there is some sort of grandfather clause.  It is going to be very hard to find another scouter in this short of a time frame 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2018 at 11:18 PM, KYScouter said:

I found this interesting (from section I):

"One-on-one contact between adult leaders and youth members is prohibited both
inside and outside of Scouting."
 
A literal reading of this would mean that I can never again babysit my scout nephew, even if it's not a scouting event.  Yikes.  (Of course an even more literal reading of this means my brother can no longer take his scout son to school while mom takes younger brother to daycare.)

Taking the portion out of the paragraph, section, and overall context may lead to varying interpretations, though the literal reading may be the intent.  Though not very practical depending on your troop and community.

The section is I. Youth Protection and Adult Leadership.  The entire section speaks to Adults leading and interacting with youth.  The sections following this line speaks about what to do if a conference is needed and digital communications.  Possibly they are speaking to and calling out meetings, communications, etc that will inevitably fall out of "Scouting" which would be meetings, outings, summer camp. 

Kid who is in your troop, lives in the neighborhood, your are friends with family and you help him with a school project in your shop, not sure that is a YPT issue.  Reason being that if something did happen there the reporting would be to the police, not any Scouting group.  Yes the acquaintances may overlap, but your SM would not report the incident as it was not his purview or responsibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×