2 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

It also might be a contributing factor as to why 90% of American teens don't want to be bothered with Scouting.  

...and a healthy percentage of parents too. How do you recruit needed and necessary volunteers when you spend more time explaining what they can't do with the kids than what they can (or should) do with them?

I'm "WonderBoy" because I keep wondering what happened to the fun experiences I was able to have as a Cub and Scout...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A patrol with two adults supervising it is no longer a patrol.  It's a den. 

Is it ok?  Depends.  My kids go over the next door neighbors house all the time.  We've been neighbors for years, had BBQs together, etc.   This is basic social communal structure.  If my neighbor was

Attention Richard B: I am one of those "old farts," first a district leader in 1962, red jacket and all.  Council leader in 1964.   You claim that, "The patrol method hasn't changed."  Appar

17 minutes ago, WonderBoy said:

...and a healthy percentage of parents too. How do you recruit needed and necessary volunteers when you spend more time explaining what they can't do with the kids than what they can (or should) do with them?.

Not only G2SS but also the NEW AND IMPROVED YPT.  Have any of you taken that yet?  First what they present is valuable information and we as leaders should be aware and understand the potential issues.

That being said, the new YPT veers heavily from  "what to do" type training; if this happens do this, don't do this, etc to a very heavy and constant drumbeat of how much of a public health crisis that child exploitation is at this time.  If I were a new parent volunteer, the tone of the training may make think twice, especially as the comments on being a mandatory reporter, etc

As with the G2SS the YPT rules, while overall simple, can cause confusion.  Most frequent is the two deep leadership and one on one contact.  Two deep is required for an outing, that does not mean anytime a leader is around there has to be two of you.  Same with one on one contact, you are at summer camp and come across one of your scouts walking to his next class.  No reason you cannot walk with him and chat with him about camp (he is by himself as no other troop member is taking that class at that time)

9 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

@RichardB, does the BSA realize that at some point, the cost and risk of volunteering ("cost" including time, and "risk" including statements such as appear above) is going to make people stop volunteering?  I think that for some people, the point has already been reached.  I also think that if all leaders actually read the Guide to Safe Scouting, a large number would decide that the point has been reached for them as well.  Does the BSA recognize this as a problem and have a solution?  Or is it just our problem?

That would depend on what you view as providing an engaging and challenging program.  To be fully compliant with the G2SS is possible, but that is sort of like building something in a major city, yes you can conform to the 600 pages of building codes, but is that even something you want to do?

Most of do the best we can and the goal is to safely bring home the youth in our charge

2 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

That would depend on what you view as providing an engaging and challenging program.  To be fully compliant with the G2SS is possible, but that is sort of like building something in a major city, yes you can conform to the 600 pages of building codes, but is that even something you want to do?

The problem is that you never know in advance which page that you skip (in the building code or the G2SS) is going to come back and bite you in the end - and in the wallet.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

As with the G2SS the YPT rules, while overall simple, can cause confusion.  Most frequent is the two deep leadership and one on one contact.  Two deep is required for an outing, that does not mean anytime a leader is around there has to be two of you.  Same with one on one contact, you are at summer camp and come across one of your scouts walking to his next class.  No reason you cannot walk with him and chat with him about camp (he is by himself as no other troop member is taking that class at that time)

That certainly is the way I used to understand the rules, and it's certainly in keeping with my community's norms, but, it's not clear to me that's still the official policy.

One-on-one contact between adult leaders and youth members is prohibited both inside and outside of Scouting.

• In situations requiring a personal conference, the meeting is to be conducted with the knowledge and in view of other adults and/or youth.

The first statement is direct and surprisingly clear for the BSA, even if it is a ridiculous overreach of policy.  The second makes a particular statement about the observer needing to have knowledge of the conference.  Can I walk across camp with a scout any more?   IDK.  But if somebody in camp reads this policy like a petty bureaucrat/tyrant I could be reported to the BSA hotline.  Not sure it's worth the effort any more.

Edited by walk in the woods
clarity
21 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

@RichardB, does the BSA realize that at some point, the cost and risk of volunteering ("cost" including time, and "risk" including statements such as appear above) is going to make people stop volunteering?  I think that for some people, the point has already been reached.  I also think that if all leaders actually read the Guide to Safe Scouting, a large number would decide that the point has been reached for them as well.  Does the BSA recognize this as a problem and have a solution?  Or is it just our problem?

Yes. Joining scouting can be a bit like reading all of the warnings and disclaimers on a medicine package. Knowing all the possible side-effects of a medicine can really discourage a person from taking it.

• Upvote 2
55 minutes ago, David CO said:

Yes. Joining scouting can be a bit like reading all of the warnings and disclaimers on a medicine package. Knowing all the possible side-effects of a medicine can really discourage a person from taking it.

I especially enjoy the pharmaceutical ads in which they are trying to sell you an asthma medicine where one of the possible side effects is that you may have trouble breathing.  Or a medicine to deal with digestive problems that may cause digestive problems.  (They don't say it exactly that way, of course, but that is what it adds up to.)  A related thing that amuses me is ads for both minor things (like a skin rash) and major things (like a medication for people who have already had a heart attack) both often have possible side effects that may be fatal.  I would be a little more likely to chance the fatal side effects if the thing I am trying to remedy (like having a second heart attack) is likely to be fatal all by itself.

But if we are going to analogize this to the BSA, when you volunteer for the BSA they don't really tell you about the possible "side effects."  In days of yore it didn't matter as much, but now the BSA works overtime churning out rules and regulations and obscure "codes of conduct" to shift the potential cost of a problem from them to "us," and most of "us" (not counting people who read this forum) don't even know it.

Edited by NJCubScouter
20 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I especially enjoy the pharmaceutical ads in which they are trying to sell you an asthma medicine where one of the possible side effects is that you may have trouble breathing.  Or a medicine to deal with digestive problems that may cause digestive problems.  (They don't say it exactly that way, of course, but that is what it adds up to.)  A related thing that amuses me is ads for both minor things (like a skin rash) and major things (like a medication for people who have already had a heart attack) both often have possible side effects that may be fatal.  I would be a little more likely to chance the fatal side effects if the thing I am trying to remedy (like having a second heart attack) is likely to be fatal all by itself.

"Do not take flimflamasol if you are allergic to flimflamasol" is my favorite.

• Upvote 3

At summer camp, I had some down time while the boys were at their merit badges and I was the only one at our site, sitting in a chair reading a book.  One scout came back to the site.  Does one of us have to leave?

I think the arguments that this is mostly about BSA doing CYA for BSA and damn the scouters is correct.

There's no question that safe scouting and YPT rules need to be in place.  Good rules protect scouts and scouters.  When you make the rules impossible to follow, don't be surprised when it does further damage to the program.

I guess I should stop delaying buying that umbrella policy since BSA is setting us up as the Fall Guy for any issues.  One of our ASMs already talked to me about this.

Good grief, I just want to work with a fun program that safely helps boys develop skills for adulthood.

• Thanks 1

Theoretically the boy should always be with a buddy. However it could be the case where the Scout had a buddy from a unit in a nearby campsite to walk back from merit badge classes. You could be okay if your site was in Clearview of other camps with youth or adults. Sometimes things just happen but we try to do our best.