Senior patrol leader eligibility?

There are no national requirements. My oldest was SPL at 11 years old and Tenderfoot. If memory serves, the only PORs with National age requirements are Junior Assistant Scoutmaster and Leave No Trace Trainer, and both or 16+.

@Popcorn06, welcome to the forums.

Although troops can stipulate age/rank requirements for youth leaders, there is no national recommendation.

Part of the fun of being SM/ASM is working with the boy who the troop elects and helping him become a better leader/manager over the course of his term. (FYI, there is no national recommendation for term limits or frequency of elections.)

A lot of this has to do with the SM/ASM's comfort level. Some of us have had so many challenges with different boys, that we've come to realize that age comes with both advantages and disadvantages. A young scout with lots of enthusiasm and dedication can be a productive SPL.

The only real requirement to be a SPL is: you are a registered Scout in good standing, and the boys elect you. Bam. If the boys pick a kid, that's their choice. He may be 11, he may be a Tenderfoot, he may have awful attendance - makes no difference. The boys pick who they pick, and soon enough they will learn what makes a good leader or not. And they can always oust a leader and choose a new one whenever they feel a change is needed! 

The most important thing is to trust the boys and not interfere. Let them handle it on their own; after all, it's their troop!

1 hour ago, Popcorn06 said:

Were there special circumstances for a scout to be SPL at 11?

His New Scout Patrol that he was the PL of wanted him to run for SPL. He got enough of the votes that he got it. All things considered, he did a very good job. One of the older Scouts, one he looked up and actually beat,  later said he was the best SPL the troop had had up to that point.

43 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

The most important thing is to trust the boys and not interfere. Let them handle it on their own; after all, it's their troop!

Sadly that is the hardest thing for some adults. We have had challenges with adults taking over and it has negated all of the progress we were making a few years back. The Patrol Method is messy, time consuming, aggravating at times, and frustrating at others. BUT IT WORKS! (emphasis)

It depends on the scout. I am the SPL of my Troop currently (my term ends in a week!), and I was elected twice. So I started the summer before 9th grade, and I did not feel like I was ready for it. Turned out that I underestimated myself and I could do it. There are no requirements but it depends on the scout.

If your scout feels like he can do it, then he can do it.

Edited by ItsBrian

On paper?   a registered scout and  elected by the troop

In reality?   A scout who will do the work   and the other scouts will follow.

Age and rank do play their part but they are less important than the person.   Some SPLs  do a great job at 12, some do a terrible job at 17