6 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Revamping and assuming all the current folks / participants would stay worked really well for ISP the "Improved Scouting Program" in 1973

Why Jameson76 ,  do  I detect a wee bit 'o sarcasm ?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My breaking point happened 10+ years ago when My wife, who volunteered on our crew's committee, came home from a youth protection class where a fellow student tossed out the, "I thought we had

I have been passionate about Scouting for my whole life, but my motivation is driven entirely from interaction with the boys. I know there are many Scouters out there who derive great personal sa

When it is not fun anymore. It is still fun when I am out with my scouts. 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, an_old_DC said:

I was just called a "conditional Scouter" by a council professional for expressing my displeasure about girls in OA. 🤢 I guess being an adult volunteer for 15 years and helping 49 Scouts earn the rank of Eagle Scout, being OA Chapter Advisor, taking Venturers and Boy Scouts to Philmont 4 times, and having held key district committee positions several times doesn't count for much. Oh yeah, my dad's an Eagle Scout, I am too, and so are both my sons. But somehow I am not "committed."

Every council has a list of “blackballed” scout volunteers. If you do not think there is one you are naive. You may be registered and in your unit but DE’s are told what volunteers are on the “naughty list” and cannot have district or council level positions.

I was told in each council I worked in you can use anyone except......

When I was OA staff adviser the Lodge Adviser term limit expired and he was placed on the do not use list for having an argument at an Ordeal with The Supreme Chief of the Fire a few months before his term ended. 

The blackball naughty list may have been what the council employee was referring to.

2 hours ago, FormerProfessional said:

The “blackballed“ naughty list may have been what the council employee was referring to.

Nope. Let’s just say I know for a fact I am not on that list

Edited by an_old_DC
2 hours ago, FormerProfessional said:

Every council has a list of “blackballed” scout volunteers. If you do not think there is one you are naive. You may be registered and in your unit but DE’s are told what volunteers are on the “naughty list” and cannot have district or council level positions.

Could this also possibly be the reason a scouter hears nothing for several months after volunteering to teach at University of Scouting, then receives a frantic last-minute email asking them to teach a different class on which they are not an authority? Or are they not welcome under any conditions?

Asking for a friend.

7 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Could this also possibly be the reason a scouter hears nothing for several months after volunteering to teach at University of Scouting, then receives a frantic last-minute email asking them to teach a different class on which they are not an authority? Or are they not welcome under any conditions?

Asking for a friend.

Hard to speak on any situation where the specifics, people, relationships, history etc. are unknown.  

I would guess they are not on the naughty list since they were asked again. However if whomever asked that person to teach may not know if that person is on the list or not.

University of Scouting hosted by Council is a large complex event. Many volunteers involved. The same is true with large MBU’s. 

Your friend may have got lost in the, lack of a better word, bureaucracy.  It happens. We all make mistakes. Sometimes the coordinator may think an instructor was secured but the instructor didn’t think they were. Another possibility is 2 people were asked and your friend didn’t get a follow up call when the other accepted. 

There are always people that back out. Many reasons. That’s usually why you get the frantic calls. I know you signed up for this but I really really need you to do that. Please help me.

Hard to know why.

18 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Asking for a friend.

Speaking as a Dean for UofS in my council, I suspect it has NOTHING to do with any "naughty list" and most likely come from trying to run a large event. 

33 minutes ago, an_old_DC said:

Nope. Let’s just say I know for a fact I am not on that list

Ask the professional in private, or electronically what they meant and if you get the run around go see management. I would take “conditional scouter” as a threat that a low level professional can’t back up.

1 hour ago, FormerProfessional said:

Ask the professional in private, or electronically what they meant and if you get the run around go see management. I would take “conditional scouter” as a threat that a low level professional can’t back up.

I think the professional is just giving you grief about having a breaking point.  

This period in Scouting history is testing us all - I wouldn't sweat it.

Realistically I think the professional has been hearing a lot of "now that BSA allows _____, I am leaving" in the past few years and more recently. And he was pointing out that (at least to him) you sounded like another one. And IF you will only support the program so long as ___ does not change, then that is a condition. 

Your past commitment is clear, but I think the comment was about FUTURE commitment to the program.   Honestly we all have some "condition" when we will no longer be involved or support almost any organization. Some people have the condition of "so long as I am still breathing I will be a scouter" Some have other conditions. 

I would suggest you contemplate It (which you are doing by answering this thread) and then put the comment behind you.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, an_old_DC said:

By the way, I don’t worry about what a DE or DD thinks.

Neither do I. I work for the Chartered Organization, not the scout execs.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 4