4 hours ago, MattR said:

We may have to agree to disagree. I let scouts have water fights with squirt guns and they can climb on rocks higher than their waist. Certainly I took a risks with things like this and 18 year old scouts tenting with 17 year old scouts. But I'm okay with that. To me, the chance at having fun was worth more than the possibility that something bad was going to happen. You obviously see this differently and I'm okay with that as well.

Two different things. I have no problem with the squirt gun fights, but the YPT is much more legalistic, and I can see how that could be a disaster.  I would also question a 18 year old who wanted to tent with another scout, but that's because my sons' troop culture was that most of the older scouts tented alone. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My breaking point happened 10+ years ago when My wife, who volunteered on our crew's committee, came home from a youth protection class where a fellow student tossed out the, "I thought we had

I have been passionate about Scouting for my whole life, but my motivation is driven entirely from interaction with the boys. I know there are many Scouters out there who derive great personal sa

When it is not fun anymore. It is still fun when I am out with my scouts. 

Posted Images

Can any of you tell me how to report a YPT incident "around" a council that likes to cherry pick what it will address and not address? I have the Member Care number but can't find it. A personal friend that is a professional Scout NOT to use Member Care. Suggestions?

24 minutes ago, Zebra132 said:

Can any of you tell me how to report a YPT incident "around" a council that likes to cherry pick what it will address and not address? I have the Member Care number but can't find it. A personal friend that is a professional Scout NOT to use Member Care. Suggestions?

I think you need to start by going through the established channels.  If they sweep it under the rug, then go higher.  Bypassing the established channels could do more harm than good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
22 hours ago, perdidochas said:

I would also question a 18 year old who wanted to tent with another scout, but that's because my sons' troop culture was that most of the older scouts tented alone. 

That makes sense. I've told older scouts they can have their own tent and none of them ever took me up on it. They will bring big tents and shove a bunch of scouts in, though. I just assume it's because they don't snore. These guys have been tenting with each other for 7 years and hanging out with each other is a great part of scouts so not being able to tent with each other after a birthday is an issue for them.

27 minutes ago, MattR said:

That makes sense. I've told older scouts they can have their own tent and none of them ever took me up on it. They will bring big tents and shove a bunch of scouts in, though. I just assume it's because they don't snore. These guys have been tenting with each other for 7 years and hanging out with each other is a great part of scouts so not being able to tent with each other after a birthday is an issue for them.

The problem is that technically this is a YPT violation, and if another Scouter found out about it, the 18 year old could be banned from Scouting for the rest of his life for this.  Yes, you were comfortable with it, but technically speaking you are also violating YPT.  

4 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

I think you need to start by going through the established channels.  If they sweep it under the rug, then go higher.  Bypassing the established channels could do more harm than good.

Agreed. You need to work the established channels so they can't deny they knew. 

• Like 1

A  big problem is the general aversion of National to communication with volunteers - sometimes even local paid personnel.

By "communication," I mean two-way exchange with  at.rather than PRONOUNCEMENTS FROM ON HIGH! at.

Edited by TAHAWK
7 hours ago, Chadamus said:

Let's take a breath, a step back, a re-read @Zebra132's post where @Sentinel947 and @69RoadRunner are mentioned.

Consider that Zebra132's use of the word "they" doesn't refer to either of you fine forum members, but instead the council referred to in his post on Friday at 12:25pm.

Internet forums . . . sigh.

Aye! This is why to not post on websites late at night!  It'll have to statyas is, I'm past the limit to edit. Sorry @Zebra123. If you've already tried those channels and you suspect abuse, the police would seem like the next step. 

Edited by Sentinel947
34 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Aye! This is why to not post on websites late at night!  It'll have to statyas is, I'm past the limit to edit. Sorry @Zebra123. If you've already tried those channels and you suspect abuse, the police would seem like the next step. 

A misunderstanding ... I can hide the post or edit your changes if you wish.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

As a scout mom of 7 years, I am against girls joining the BOY Scout of America. If they like BS's program so much, they should advocate GS to follow it.

As a cub scout leader of 5 years, I am against girls joining the CUB Scout. It's hard enough to recruit volunteers because fewer dads step to the plate now. Also, the more the moms volunteer, the more the Pack looks like daycare. Adding the girls will make it like GS. It's truly ridiculous to have girls in different ranks but the same den. Each rank has its own achievements to accomplish so how do they design and run the den meetings by how many den leaders they need? 

As a boy scout mom, I am totally, absolutely, 100% against girls joining the BOY Scout. My breaking point is, once CO co-ed and they go camping together. We will give up everything for the Eagle and go to Trail Life USA. After all, I just want my boys to have some fun memories that they can look back and smile. 

Edited by jsychk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1