1 hour ago, Terasec said:

scoutmaster i prefer is lounging in his hammock unnoticed while the boys are out doing their thing

Ok I admit it. When I was a trainer, I said the ideal position of a SM was sitting in his camp chair drinking coffee, or for our LDS brethen hot cocoa.  But after experiencing "Coffee from the hammock" as Shug Emery suggests, I will go with your idea, but with coffee. ;)

• Like 1
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My breaking point happened 10+ years ago when My wife, who volunteered on our crew's committee, came home from a youth protection class where a fellow student tossed out the, "I thought we had

I have been passionate about Scouting for my whole life, but my motivation is driven entirely from interaction with the boys. I know there are many Scouters out there who derive great personal sa

When it is not fun anymore. It is still fun when I am out with my scouts. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, blw2 said:

was he useless, or did he truly understand the patrol method and the idea we call boy lead?

Understood boy led?   Oh how I wish.    I started to write up a list of the problems he caused, in the beginning,  but let's just say the trek would have gone a lot smoother if he had stayed in base camp.  By the 4th or 5th day we just ignored him as much as possible.

8 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

I did not realize it was the role of the CO to be a "buffer" between National and unit Scouters, at least not on a day-to-day basis.  What page of what book is that on?

It is certainly not going to be found in anything published by BSA, if that's what you mean. BSA published materials are entirely self-serving. 

I am not sure if this is a breaking point or just a worn down point.     The meeting starts in 2 minutes and I haven't been able to make myself change into my uni . I can't think of a single reason to go . All my sons have  aged out years ago.  I was working on training the new PLs about the patrol method, but there seems no point to that since it will be outlawed in October.   I've gone from angry to depressed to sad to accepting to grateful for the years of memories.     Much the same as when my parents died.    

1 minute ago, Oldscout448 said:

I am not sure if this is a breaking point or just a worn down point.     The meeting starts in 2 minutes and I haven't been able to make myself change into my uni . I can't think of a single reason to go . All my sons have  aged out years ago.  I was working on training the new PLs about the patrol method, but there seems no point to that since it will be outlawed in October.   I've gone from angry to depressed to sad to accepting to grateful for the years of memories.     Much the same as when my parents died.    

I feel like my Scoutmaster will come to this point too. I feel like you are worn down and tired. Doing the same thing every single week for years gets tiring. Espescially when it does not benefit you or your children directly. 

Just now, ItsBrian said:

I feel like my Scoutmaster will come to this point too. I feel like you are worn down and tired. Doing the same thing every single week for years gets tiring. Espescially when it does not benefit you or your children directly. 

I don't think is so much tired as the uniform just does not fit anymore.   No, its not a weight gain problem.  BSA just isnt BSA anymore.  At least not the one I so eagerly signed up for nearly 50 years ago.   Its not that I expected it to remain static forever, all living things change.  I watched a lot of them some good some bad.     But its has morphed into something that I don't even recognize.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

Patrol Method is being outlawed in October? 

6 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

Patrol Method is being outlawed in October? 

Yes, I do not understand this either.   What I briefly read here is something like -- patrols will not be allowed to camp completely on their own without adults, and patrols cannot go on hikes, etc without adults present.   But I am not clear on the exact details and it will be important to understand exactly what is going on. 

9 minutes ago, WisconsinMomma said:

Yes, I do not understand this either.   What I briefly read here is something like -- patrols will not be allowed to camp completely on their own without adults, and patrols cannot go on hikes, etc without adults present.   But I am not clear on the exact details and it will be important to understand exactly what is going on. 

Yeah, I remember him bashing it on another tread for the same idea, but he doesn't seem to defend his words.  The Patrol method is still the same patrol method, just with Adult Leadership in attendance. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, scotteg83 said:

Yeah, I remember him bashing it on another tread for the same idea, but he doesn't seem to defend his words.  The Patrol method is still the same patrol method, just with Adult Leadership in attendance. 

:laugh: I don't think you realized your poor choice of words.

Barry

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

:laugh: I don't think you realized your poor choice of words.

Barry

:laugh:

but seriously, a Great SM or ASM, would allow the Scouts to operate the same way they have always been.  But just be there for the chance that something bad could happen.  I would not spend the time "correcting and yelling" at my scouts.  I would save the words of "wisdom" until the end when they do roses and thorns.

25 minutes ago, WisconsinMomma said:

I thin I might have posted this idea before....but in case I didn't

My read on this is the vast majority of units operate this way already...so this is really almost nothing new to a majority if I'm right.  It has just been an adult leadership unwritten rule, and now it's written as an official program rule ...

2 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

100 yards.

Yes!

isn't that only part of it..."100 yards" when on a troop camp

The idea of patrol activities that is being 'outlawed' (if I'm understanding this new rule correctly) is more about the encouraging the comradere of the group, the gang of friends to paraphrase Baden Powell.  the guys on their own decide to get together for some fun (or whatever) just like a bunch of neighborhood kids might do with their friends in the neighborhood

so 100 yards.... Yes, it seems like that practicing that is perhaps a decent compromise solution to this new 'problem'.

(but as I wrote before, since this is all theoretical for me...since I never really saw the patrol method and patrol outings or meetings in full-force action)

Seems like a good teachable moment for adults.  Articles in Scouting Magazine and posts in Bryan on Scouting.  Pretend to talk about the rule change, but really talk about giving the buys space to employ the patrol method