1 minute ago, FireStone said:

This was the same guy who asked me what my goals were for my own scouting career. . 

Goals for my scouting "career" (career seriously??)?  Have fun, help the Boy Scouts in the unit have fun, and not get killed in fiery backpacking stove explosion.  Other than that, do not plan to give it much thought

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My breaking point happened 10+ years ago when My wife, who volunteered on our crew's committee, came home from a youth protection class where a fellow student tossed out the, "I thought we had

I have been passionate about Scouting for my whole life, but my motivation is driven entirely from interaction with the boys. I know there are many Scouters out there who derive great personal sa

When it is not fun anymore. It is still fun when I am out with my scouts. 

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, FireStone said:

I kind of surprised the guy asking. He was looking at me as if it was somehow odd that I wouldn't want to do Wood Badge.

Same for me. How could someone be a dedicated Scoutmaster for 10+ years and not want to do Wood Badge? - lol

2 minutes ago, gblotter said:

Same for me. How could someone be a dedicated Scoutmaster for 10+ years and not want to do Wood Badge? - lol

Because you have interacted with them, and have found the majority of Wood Badge trained people in your Council that you have met to be non-impressive in Scout skills and Spirit.  I've met only a few in our Council that have been through Wood Badge that I have though highly of. 

• Upvote 2
On 5/19/2018 at 8:46 AM, Eagle94-A1 said:

I'll be honest, I don't know. Probably when my sons leave the movement. But in all honesty I do not know.

As for when  it is not fun anymore, well the sense of obligation is keeping me in. The past few years have been extremely stressful in my neck of the woods. We have lost a lot of experienced volunteers with all the recent membership changes. At one point I was the acting district chair ( one quit, one never did the job, and one went MIA) district commissioner (two quit and went 18 months without one) Boy Scout RT commissioner ( 4 years without one), and activities chair ( 5 YEARS without one)  and district camporee chief (2 years) all at the same time I am the CS RT commissioner and am ASM with a troop. You could also throw in DE since we are a sharing one with another district, and on occassion I had to pick up that slack.

And the troop I am with has major issues causing more stress.  SM in failing health, new SM kinda out of it due to job at times one ASM being a gunship and forcing things that the troop has done in the past but are not the Patrol Method as envisioned by BP and GBB, helicopter parents ad nauseum. As I sit at this computer, I was originally suppose to go camping, then  it was changed into a fundraiser, now everything is canceled due to weather. Wise man once said, "A bad day camping is better than a good day at work." I am goign through camping withdrawal, and it has only been a month since my last camp out.

My youngest is a Webelos 1, and he is not happy about the girls coming in. I do not know if he will continue or not as he said told me just that. Older two are sticking with the troop until it is no longer fun for them. They too have concerns about girls joining. While the CO's official announcement on the matter will come Monday at the COH,  the decision is known to a few: Coed pack, and at the moment 2 separate troops, but if the girls troop has issues getting started, that decision will be subject to revision, and we may go to "Linked Troops" aka coed troop. They know other troops are out there, and in all honesty I wish they WOULD transfer. But this is their journey, not mine. And they are getting  some valuable life lessons on dealing with people as a result.

Again, I do not know what my breaking point is. I used to joke saying I was a "Scouting Addict," but in all honesty Scouting is an addiction for me. It is a drug for me. Seeing my Scouts learn, grow, and mature is a rush. Keeping up with my Scouts is a rush: marriages, degrees, children, promotions, etc. So I don't know.

I was an active Scout Leader (Advancement chair and then ASM), until a few months after my sons became inactive.   I'm still a MBC, but that's just occasional. 

1 minute ago, perdidochas said:

Because you have interacted with them, and have found the majority of Wood Badge trained people in your Council that you have met to be non-impressive in Scout skills and Spirit.  I've met only a few in our Council that have been through Wood Badge that I have though highly of. 

My joke with many of the Wood badgers (cult of the pink hankie) is "hey, this is a Boy Scout (only works if one the youth is around), have you dealt with any of them recently???

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, perdidochas said:

I have met some very good Scouters who are Wood Badge trained, and many I feel would be just as good had they not gone through that program.  I have also met some people that makes me question what the heck they actually teach, as these folks are about as in-touch with the aims and methods of Scouting as a tree. 

• Upvote 2
16 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

I have met some very good Scouters who are Wood Badge trained, and many I feel would be just as good had they not gone through that program.  I have also met some people that makes me question what the heck they actually teach, as these folks are about as in-touch with the aims and methods of Scouting as a tree. 

I do not question the quality of Scouters in Wood Badge. I just know that I don't want to hang out with them - lol. I'd rather spend my Scouting time with the boys.

Would I be better Scoutmaster with Wood Badge? Probably.

Would I trade a weekend of camping with the boys for a weekend at Wood Badge? Definitely not.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

So I come from the thread on how professionals are no good to the thread about how Scouters who take Wood Badge are no good.

Oh, dear - we certainly are a cranky bunch today.

5 hours ago, FireStone said:

This was the same guy who asked me what my goals were for my own scouting career. I had no answer, I don't think about it like that. All I've thought about since I started is the Pack program and my Den. I don't know if that will change over the years, but right now I just don't see myself taking an interest in the Scouter stuff that is more focused on adults than kids. 

It will change over time. For me it was once  all about the den and pack. I've moved on to all about the troop. Still focusing on the troop.  But my current Scouting goal is to drink coffee in my chair and not have to get up for anything. Although after watching Shug Emery on youtube, and hammocking, I may just change that to drinking coffee from the hammock. ;)

1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

So I come from the thread on how professionals are no good to the thread about how Scouters who take Wood Badge are no good.

I am not saying Wood Badge is not good- I am saying that it is no guarantee that all who go through it become Super Scouters.  I was reacting to @gblotter that folks seem incredulous that anyone who has been in an adult leader position for some time hasn't gone through Wood Badge.  And, to the point from @perdidochas it isn't any guarantee that anyone who goes through it truly know more the those who have not.  

I'll give a pertinent example to my position- I sat through a bead presentation, and the course director read off the list of items from the recipients ticket.  The ticket items seemed fairly basic compared to the tickets I have heard read before.  I made a legitimate inquiry to one of the rose necker folks present on whom actually verifies that the objectives of the ticket were achieved (one of the items in particular was that the person was "going to grow Scouting in their community"- seemed pretty straight forward to me, did the pack or troop in that community see any new membership that could be traced to this person?).  What I got was a "well, you know, we instruct the participant to choose items that are personal and meaningful to them, but to be realistic that the item can be achieved".  Never actually answered my question.  I went to another rose necker, and his comment was that the person I was just speaking to was the participants Troop Guide, and the Troop Guide is who signs off.  So, basically, to me, that meant that effort was all that counted, not completeness or results.  Just seemed to me it was more about getting the participants $$$ rather than ensuring that the program is truly being followed.  That very well may be 100% different elsewhere.

Wow, the anti-WB thing is interesting. I understand where many of you are coming from, seeing scouters who feel superior because of 2 or 3 or 4 wooden beads. 

Going through the course means information has been presented to you, not that you USE that knowledge. I too know a number of Wood Badgers who have no clue about scouting aims or methods, but that does not mean it is a bad course. I have taken the course and found it very useful in my life and interaction with scouts.  

Wood Badge is NOT a Silver Bullet, nor will it make any adult a "super scouter" .  I do encourage scouters to attend Wood Badge for what they can bring back to their youth, and for leadership skills it teaches. It is not about "hanging out with other adults" or avoiding youth. It is training how to better assist youth on their scouting trail and in life. 

It is a shame that some people have lost focus on what Wood Badge, and all of scouting is really about. And worse that their attitudes have caused others to view WB and other activities and groups with disdain or suspicion. I do understand your feelings and have had similar ones on certain groups in my own council. Don't let them keep you from a program that can help you better mentor youth.

I personally have no issue with Wood Badge, the program, or the participants generally. My comment was more to do with specific people who focus on Wood Badge and similar adult recognition to the point where it seems be prioritized over youth elements of the program, and how that runs counter to my own views on Scouting.  

• Upvote 1

Interesting to me when I volunteer to instruct for IOLS, and the number of participants who have completed WB, but not IOLS. The most interesting thing was the WBers who had little skill or knowledge of the basics in IOLS, patrol method, etc... Some of my fellow IOLS instructors were surprised that I never did WB.