Let us consider the hypothetical (for our purposes) case of a Scouter, loyal and hard working in many a Scout endeavor. Let us presume him to be an Eagle Scout, Wood Badger,  etc. etc. 

Let us further presume he has  lived in the same house for , oh , say thirty years, and thru the wonders of BSA bureaucracy has been assigned to no fewer than five (5) Scout Districts, each with a different name , slightly different area and eventual leadership. 

Now then.  I put to you the case that this Scouter was recognized for his efforts early on (and his good wife!) with more than one, differently named  "service" awards. He has proudly worn them on his uni  and hung them on his walls for many years. Let us further assume he has continued his appreciated efforts. 

Now, I further put to you that the present PTB intend to present this worthy with the same "service " award, stipulating that it is from a "Different District" (in name!) then the first one.

How say you?  Does the worthy wear TWO awards on his uni?  Or perhaps refuse the award , urging it to be presented to some one equally worthy?  Or perhaps gracefully accept it and (ducktape?) mount it on his office wall with the other?    

My take:

If the districts are in the same council, they are arms of the council and the one award of merit applies to both districts, as well as all defunct districts in which the scouter served. So, the second district wanting to confer the award is simply too late to do so.

If they are in separate councils. The scouter would need a different uniform for each council patch. In which case could earn two awards of merit.

:ph34r:

Hypothetically speaking... 

Were this the District Award of Merit.  In my book, I think a district should feel free to award this to an individual once per district.  The recipient hangs the plaque on his wall next to the other one.  But, the recipient only wears one uniform knot.  The uniform knot is a recognition that you've earned the award.  I think you just wear it once.

On the District Award of Merit nomination form, it says: It is not appropriate to nominate a Scouter who has already received this award.  So, if the nominator paid attention to that, he should not have nominated that person.  But, if the nominator ignores it and the District Award or Merit committee selects that nomination, then the recipient should gracefully accept it.

I believe I know the county in which this scouter hypothetically must reside.  Lord knows it has been an ever changing mess. 

My first thought is " Whoever did the work has earned the right to wear the award."      But I can also see how wearing two of the same knot would indeed look a little strange.    There should be some way to show this award without seeming vain.  Perhaps a small device that could be worn on the knot?   

As to the accepting of this award, let us assume that the PTB wish to  give due honour to this mystical scouter for his service to  the current district .  The award of merit is the highest honour that a district can bestow and are not given lightly.      If they desire to so give it , I would council humble acceptance.

your northern neighbor,  Oldscout

Edited by Oldscout448

I fail to understand the issue related to the knot.  One knot, and if asked, the recipient can say he was recognized in more than one district at different times.  There should be no reason to have to further indicate to others, as those that are friends and scouting colleagues know anyway.  We make way too much of these things.  Afterall, the program should be focused on the youth.  If adults are "seeking" personal recognition, then they may need to evaluate their involvement.  Just MHO of course.

It's all a matter of being gracious and tactful. If you are again nominated for an award that you should only have received once, there's nothing wrong with informing the powers that be that you have already received the honor, and that you would rather not break rules to receive it again. Certainly nobody could fault you for pointing it out; it would be an honorable thing to do. After all, we aren't here for the awards (I should hope).

Should they bestow the honor upon you anyway, even after said declination, simply receive it graciously. Make no fuss of it; modesty is always more becoming and more mature than gratuitously turning it into a big deal. But certainly do not wear two of the same knot on your uniform - not only would that be a tasteless flaunting of a double-bestowal, but it goes against uniform policy as well. One never wears two knots for the same award; that's what devices are for, and if there are no devices that fit the situation, it won't matter anyway. A good Scouter never seeks recognition, and certainly won't mind whether or not people know about all the honors he has received, because that's not what he is there for. :happy:

Most awards, like the District Award of Merit, Silver Beaver, etc. are intended to be earned once. 

Beyond that the knots are to only be on the uniform ONCE, typically with devices for times when the knot represents multiple award or the award can be earned more than once. 

If one were to earn an award more than once that does not have appropriate devices, one should were the single knot. For instance it is quite possible to earn the adult religious knot for more than one religious organization, that person would not wear the knot twice, nor would he be able to have a device to indicate that he earned it more than once.

Remember that our purpose here is for the youth, not to get knots on our shirt. 

I always call into question the tut tut'ing about adults wearing recognition on their uniform, especially when it's someone like SSScout who's reputation online here is one of dedicated service to youth.  

“Show me a poorly uniformed troop and I’ll show you a poorly uniformed leader.”

Wearing your uniform properly leads by example to the boys, it shows them how to properly wear their uniform and how to put insignia in it's proper place.  Keeping your uniform neat and in proper order is a microcosm of keeping your bedroom neat and in proper order, and more importantly, keeping your life neat and in proper order. 

On 5/20/2018 at 4:21 PM, Chris1 said:

Remember that our purpose here is for the youth, not to get knots on our shirt. 

I will bet a weeks  months pay that SSScout doesn't care a whit about getting yet another knot on his shirt.  if he did he wouldn't be asking for input

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

I will bet a weeks  months pay that SSScout doesn't care a whit about getting yet another knot on his shirt.  if he did he wouldn't be asking for input

I think you are almost certainly correct. I mention it more as a general reminder to all of us who occasionally get caught up in questions of recognition like this one. On either side of the issue.