Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Latin Scot

Cub Scout Uniform Changes

Recommended Posts

After hearing the swirl of rumors, I found this!

http://www.texastrailsbsa.com/openrosters/ViewOrgPageLink.aspx?orgkey=2998&itemkey=14780

I have to say, I do understand the majority of these uniform changes, even if I don't like them all (I have always been resistant to change). I have always wondered about the aqua color being used for Bears; light blue is much simpler. But making the switch out to the tan/olive uniform for ALL Webelos is annoying, and for some, expensive. I understand the cunning behind it - get the boys in the uniform early, and there is a far better chance they'll continue on to Boy Scouts since they own the uniform already. But still, it's kind of frustrating. I won't require it of my families for a couple of years at least. But I will miss the diamond blue patch!

Edited by The Latin Scot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

I won't require it of my families for a couple of years at least. But I will miss the diamond blue patch!

Does that mean you are sticking around post LDS divorce?

Hope so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Haha. Well in that case, maybe my families can get by without having to worry about the changes after all! I just gotta stock up on the blue patches so that I have enough for any boys who stay in the blue uniform up till the end of next year. ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also heard no more diamond patches on the tan uniforms, so it doesn't make sense...Scout earns his bear badge at the end of 3rd grade, then immediately switches to tan uniform the next year, when does he get to wear his bear rank?  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that's one reason I wouldn't wait till the end of the year to award ranks. As soon as a boy can get the requirements done, he should get his rank - in my program in fact, we don't follow school calendars at all. When a boy turns 10 he joins my Webelos group, and he is with me for a year till he turns 11. We don't take summer breaks, and we don't have a "start" or "end" to the program year. It's ongoing, and boys earn their ranks as they complete the adventures/other requirements for them. Obviously it means careful planning and juggling of activities, but it sure is nice not to be beholden to the schools for scheduling and planning activities and rank advancement. In fact, summer is when I see the highest rates of advancement and progress, since we don't have school activities conflicting with our program.

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Making the tan uniform an option for Webelos was a brilliant move when it became an option. Just ask any parent of a growing Cub Scout who intends on becoming a Boy Scout (Scouts, BSA after Feb 2019).  Making it a requirement... is just more proof that National Supply plays a big part in the pyramid marketing scheme that is modern day Scouting. 

(And don't get me started on having a separate hat, slide, neckerchief and, in some cases, belt for each year. If a Scout is truly thrifty, they can make do with the perfectly serviceable uniform they already have. Just my $0.02)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

After hearing the swirl of rumors, I found this!

http://www.texastrailsbsa.com/openrosters/ViewOrgPageLink.aspx?orgkey=2998&itemkey=14780

I have to say, I do understand the majority of these uniform changes, even if I don't like them all (I have always been resistant to change). I have always wondered about the aqua color being used for Bears; light blue is much simpler. But making the switch out to the tan/olive uniform for ALL Webelos is annoying, and for some, expensive. I understand the cunning behind it - get the boys in the uniform early, and there is a far better chance they'll continue on to Boy Scouts since they own the uniform already. But still, it's kind of frustrating. I won't require it of my families for a couple of years at least. But I will miss the diamond blue patch!

I agree that it can be expensive when the Webelos has not out grown his blue cub scout uniform.  But also remember that an scout uniform  never becomes an unofficial scout uniform. therefor since the blue cub scout uniform has been a official Webelos uniform it will always be official.  Just from this I would not require the uniform change until the youth has out grown his cub scout uniform. Just my two cents worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WonderBoy said:

Just my $0.02)

 

1 hour ago, ValleyBoy said:

Just my two cents worth.

That's $0.04! Already I've earned almost a whole nickle off this thread. :happy:

Both of the above are good points though; I am just going to recycle all the used stuff I can for the next 18 months. And I just realized @ValleyBoy's point this morning - any Webelos Scout who wants to stick to the blue uniform can easily just say he's wearing an authentic vintage uniform and he will remain correctly dressedProblem solved!

Edited by The Latin Scot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WonderBoy said:

Making the tan uniform an option for Webelos was a brilliant move when it became an option. Just ask any parent of a growing Cub Scout who intends on becoming a Boy Scout (Scouts, BSA after Feb 2019).  Making it a requirement... is just more proof that National Supply plays a big part in the pyramid marketing scheme that is modern day Scouting. 

(And don't get me started on having a separate hat, slide, neckerchief and, in some cases, belt for each year. If a Scout is truly thrifty, they can make do with the perfectly serviceable uniform they already have. Just my $0.02)

 August 1, 1984 is when Webelos had the option of wearing the blue or tan and green uniforms, although it was announced earlier. I remember that because I was a Webelos that school year, and my mom was so happy she did not have to buy me a "new" blue uniform to wear for only 9 months, and then switch out.  The tan shirt she got me was HUGE, and I wore it until I graduated high school!

 

3 hours ago, ValleyBoy said:

I agree that it can be expensive when the Webelos has not out grown his blue cub scout uniform.  But also remember that an scout uniform  never becomes an unofficial scout uniform. therefor since the blue cub scout uniform has been a official Webelos uniform it will always be official.  Just from this I would not require the uniform change until the youth has out grown his cub scout uniform. Just my two cents worth.

Yep, once a uniform, always a uniform. So if your Webelos want to wear a blue uniform, it's good. And if they wear tan and green numbers instead of the red and whites, they can wear a vintage August 2008 - May 2009 Webelos uniform. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WonderBoy said:

]

(And don't get me started on having a separate hat, slide, neckerchief and, in some cases, belt for each year. If a Scout is truly thrifty, they can make do with the perfectly serviceable uniform they already have. Just my $0.02)

Sounds like a "Pack Set" of these items might be a good idea...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my son's just became a Webelos I last night, and he will be in blues probably until he crosses over to a troop. If we gets too big for his blue then we will get a tan.

My Webelos den parents are doing the same.... just a marketing ploy I won't follow along with, no matter what National says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×