Female Leader Requirements for Family Cub Scouting

Although not released to the broader group:  Anthony Berger, National Director of Cub Scouting, released a video to the private early adopter group on Facebook.  In the video the dropped a bombshell that when girls registration opens nation-wider on June 11, 2018 there will be additional requirements for female leadership. 

Any units hoping to register as all-girl or family packs must have the following:

• Each den must have a woman registered as DL or ADL
  • Each pack must have a woman as CM or ACM 

Moderator note: Video is inserted a few posts down, (announcement is around 5:13 mark):

I have the following problems with this:

1. We are 3 weeks from registering girls and rules and details are still in flux

2. Similar to the divergent YPT rules, why the need for separate rules just because girls are present?

3. Why are announcements made in a private Facebook group?

Edited by RememberSchiff
remove FB link

I feel your pain. Just last night before we started our Pack meeting, a Committee member and I realized we had differing understandings of the forthcoming rules. In spite of having just attended the same Roundtable where the discussion focus was Family Scouting. It's no wonder my District & Council are suggesting not to encourage any sign-ups of girls until August. 

So does this mean that all boy dens now require at least one male leader too? Or is sexism a one-way street?

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, WonderBoy said:

So does this mean that all boy dens now require at least one male leader too? Or is sexism a one-way street?

I think that was a rhetorical question, and that you probably know the answer.  :)

• Upvote 2

I’m a member of this FB group and that video did cause a stir.  That said the female CM/ACM was never listed as a requirement in any official document.  Since the video release there was no further confirmation that this is an actual rule that will be implemented.  I’m hopeful that the response from the early adopter group will prevent this rule from going into force.  We are all breathlessly waiting to see what is announced next week.

• Sad 1
47 minutes ago, WonderBoy said:

7 minutes ago, Pale Horse said:

I think that was a rhetorical question, and that you probably know the answer.  :)

That question and nationa's response was discussed a few months back. Last time it came up, which was when the video came out BTW, Boys dens can have 2 female leaders, but girls dens MUST have a female ADL or DL over 21.

Oh ya?

If something official comes down, then thats one thing. I don't trust anything from up top. That guy in the video probably has no idea what he's talking about (heard his BS before)

Paper ACM if I have to... but I will try to resist. Not that I am sexist because my wife is a DL, but the policy is asinine (if it comes to pass)

15 minutes ago, Dixit said:

G2SS updated and says this now about required female leaders

E817BA22-8A8F-4E7D-AF69-5038A364D4BB.jpeg

Is this new language or was this from the Venturing requirement?  I’m not sure if this means ADL/DL is sufficient or if we also need female CM/ACM.  I’ll want to see that written specifically if required.

17 minutes ago, Dixit said:

G2SS updated and says this now about required female leaders

E817BA22-8A8F-4E7D-AF69-5038A364D4BB.jpeg

Do you have a link for this?  National G2SS still says 

Two-deep leadership on all outings required.  A minimum of two registered adult leaders, or one registered leader and a participating Scout’s parent, or another adult is required for all trips and outings.  One of these adults must be 21 years of age or older.

Patrol Activities

There are instances, such as patrol activities, when the presence of adult leaders is not required and adult leadership may be limited to patrol leadership training and guidance.  With proper training, guidance, and approval by troop leaders, the patrol can conduct day hikes and service projects.

Adult Supervision/Coed Activities

Male and female adult leaders must be present for all overnight coed Scouting trips and outings, even those including parent and child. Both male and female adult leaders must be 21 years of age or older, and one must be a registered member of the BSA.

Which allows parents not register leaders which is a huge difference and no mention of meetings.

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss01/

• Thanks 1

PDF has the new language.  The "online" still has the old language.

This is the full PDF version that contains updates as of May 2018.  The online version will be updated shortly.   After June 1, 2018 you may refer to the online version for the most updated information.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Dixit said:

PDF has the new language.  The "online" still has the old language.

This is the full PDF version that contains updates as of May 2018.  The online version will be updated shortly.   After June 1, 2018 you may refer to the online version for the most updated information.

GRRR... the previous language stated the online version was authoritative and  the pdf version was dated. Either way is fine but they really shouldn't flip the authoritative copy at a whim...

Our Pack was selected to be the early adopter in our district of the Chief Seattle Council. Our only Den, a girls' Webelos Scout den, has a woman DL and a male ADL, who is also a parent, and Wood Badge grad. They have successfully completed their Webelos rank requirements in four months, and he council could not be happier.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, WRW_57 said:

Our Pack was selected to be the early adopter in our district of the Chief Seattle Council. Our only Den, a girls' Webelos Scout den, has a woman DL and a male ADL, who is also a parent, and Wood Badge grad. They have successfully completed their Webelos rank requirements in four months, and he council could not be happier.

Congrats.  Councils are definitely excited about this change.

@hawkins and I also are leaders at early adopter Packs.... so there are a few of us in the Scouter.com waters 😀

To summarize this thread.  There is an early adopter FB page and the National Director for Cub Scouts released a video that mentioned any Pack that adds girls must have a female Cubmaster or Assistant Cubmaster  AND every girls den must have a female ADL or DL.   Both are changes to requirements from the Early Adopter program (which is fine).  Outside of the video the official Cub Scout material/rules have only mentioned the DL/ADL requirement.  It appears G2SS was updated and that may point to having ACM/CM female lead requirement or that may be covered by the DL/ADL requirement.  I’m still waiting to hear official word.

My Pack ends up following both of these “requirements” but I’m definitely not a fan of a requirement on the CM/ACM.  It’s tough enough to find good leaders let alone adding gender requirements (especially female as the majority of our volunteers are male).

Also frustrated that rules are not clear (if ACM/CM requirement is real) < 1 month away from full go live.