Scouter Hosting down??

Good morning everyone!

I have noticed that for the past week that all troops pages hosted on Scouter are down...our troop included. When I log-in, the files are still there and such, but no website. I haven't heard anything back on when they will be back in service, does anyone have any insight?

Melissa Bond

Hello Melissa

Yes, this is our Troop's main information Station also. I guess when it's free we can't complain too much, but a response from Scouter.com would be nice. I have sent several e-mail's to the Contact us found at the bottom of Scouter.com's web-pages and ablosutely no response. I have the same results you do, when I log in all the files are there. No violation of size or content so I don't know what has happened. I have gotten info from a local Girl Scout leader that they have just found free web-space at Geocities.com.

Maybe we should check this out.

Good Luck

Guys, hopefully Terry will get this figured out soon. I dont know anything about that system over on the other side of this site.

I can say, though, that Geocities while will give you more space, the ads are bad.

You really should try avoiding them.

Check with your ISP if you need to before going there if possible.

You must realize that Terry does this for a living and runs a large network, not just the scouter.com network.

Terry may come on and say the same thing, but for now, you got me;)

I just talked to him over AOL and he said that there have been virusses uploaded to people's accounts so they have been deactivated.

He thinks it's down to just the packs section now so the troops part should be back up in the very near future. The whole thing should be back up soon he thinks.

Right now, everybody just needs to have patience;) and hopefully we'll have it all fixed soon.

.....and my Pack's site is still down, just like it has been for the past week. Real nice seeing my Pack's Blue & Gold is this Sunday and I need as much advertising as possible.

Thanks Scouter for the free web space over the last couple of years, but I'm getting tired of not being able to upload my files every year in January and February. Add into the equation having the site down for a week (or more) and I'm not a happy camper (Scout or otherwise).

I am looking into moving my Pack's website to TAPO - Troops and Packs Online (www.cubpacks.org). I've looked into the hosting site, which offers 15 MB of free hosting to Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Girls Scouts (and no, I don't work for that site, I'm just offering up suggestions to those frustrated webmasters out there).

I don't know the level of quality of the new host but I'm getting tired of the conversation with parents on "Did you check the website?" -- "Yes I did, but it crashed."

Pack2 ... our troop was hosted by TAPO for about a year before we migrate to Scouter.com. I would say that TAPO is not a sturdy as Scouter.com. This is the first time that Scouter.com is down hard that I know of. It is back online.

As for TAPO Chris Diamond provides great support, but as with everyone else (other than yahoo or the likes), he is providing the service out of his own pocket and the goodness of his heart, but the web server has reached its capacity in terms of hosting. It freezes and will not allow uploading from time to time. Chris also works for a living so support is whenever he can get to the problem.

In actuality, our troop uses both, one for the front end and one for storage. Our pack is using TAPO. It doesn't matter where your website reside, as long as there is a limited funding or resource, the best that your website gets is the best of the person who supports it provides. If you want stability, then the answer is a paid hosting service. Of course, there are the free services such as Geocities, Yahoo, MSN, etc. I have tried all and the popups that come with these free services are what killed the website for us. Some of them are inappropriate at times.

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)