What is the National Catholic Committee on Scouting?

4 hours ago, David CO said:

Same here. My unit has never had a single contact with NCCS. NCCS seems to parrot whatever BSA says. 

Typically they express concern, promise to review, and then decide that whatever it was is OK.

5 hours ago, David CO said:

Same here. My unit has never had a single contact with NCCS. NCCS seems to parrot whatever BSA says. 

I"m not sure why a unit would have contact with NCCS; contact would typically be with your local diocesan Scouting committee (whose chair and chaplain are appointed by, or at least recognized by, your local bishop).  NCCS administers the various Catholic religious emblems at the national level, but again, those are processed via the local committee or chaplain.

My sense is that groups like this exist to allow a faith (or really any group) to have a more co-ordinated voice on issues in Scouting that impact the faith.  if you had 5,000 churches in a faith each saying their own thing, it would be hard for that faith to have much influence.  So groups like this exist to provide that singular voice.  I figured as it was overseen by a bishop that someone must have decided it makes sense.

4 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

Having said that, it's a bit disingenuous to dismiss the NCCS.  If they were providing guidance that was contrary to the teachings of the Church as understood by the USCCB they would lose any affiliation with the USCCB, and to the extent that the folks there are clergy, they could be admonished to speak differently, either by their bishop or by their order.  

Do they have any formal affiliation with the USCCB? Their website doesn't say that they do.

It says that it "relates" to the USCCB. It talks about "interaction and dialog" with the Secretariat of the Laity and Family Life". 

1 hour ago, David CO said:

Do they have any formal affiliation with the USCCB? Their website doesn't say that they do.

It says that it "relates" to the USCCB. It talks about "interaction and dialog" with the Secretariat of the Laity and Family Life". 

https://www.nccs-bsa.org/index.php/national-css-administration/bylaws

Voting members of the NCCS are appointed by diocese, by their various bishops.  An episcopal liaison (currently Bishop Guglielmone of Charleston, SC) is appointed by the USCCB.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ParkMan said:

My sense is that groups like this exist to allow a faith (or really any group) to have a more co-ordinated voice on issues in Scouting that impact the faith.  if you had 5,000 churches in a faith each saying their own thing, it would be hard for that faith to have much influence.  So groups like this exist to provide that singular voice.  I figured as it was overseen by a bishop that someone must have decided it makes sense.

It would appear that the NCCS has a Bishop Liaison who is appointed by the NCCS to act as its go-between with the USCCB . The Bishop does not appear to have any oversight of the NCCB. When a Bishop has oversight authority, he is usually appointed be Rome, not by the people he is supposed to oversee.

As I said, I have no knowledge of these people, as I have never had contact with them before. But since you quoted them, as an authoritative source of Catholic policy, I thought that you might have some more information about them.

Edited by David CO
27 minutes ago, David CO said:

It would appear that the NCCS has a Bishop Liaison who is appointed by the NCCS to act as its go-between with the USCCB . The Bishop does not appear to have any oversight of the NCCB. When a Bishop has oversight authority, he is usually appointed be Rome, not by the people he is supposed to oversee.

As I said, I have no knowledge of these people, as I have never had contact with them before. But since you quoted them, as an authoritative source of Catholic policy, I thought that you might have some more information about them.

As a Catholic, I knew of the group and had certainly heard of it before, but have not dealt with them.   In doing my research on the topic, I looked them up and checked their position.  I'm comfortable with them as a voice who has looked over the issues at hand from a Catholic perspective.

But my CO is Presbyterian - so there's no way I'd have dealt with them anyways.