National, Religion, Membership, Oath and Law

5 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

That is my quibble. Earlier you state lead by example, for which I fully agree, but we don't get to impose our morality as it pertains to membership. You don't get to exclude a scout from membership based on your own personal and religious morality and more than an Orthodox Jewish scouter would get to impose their morality on scouts as a barrier to membership for not following their religious dress code while not in uniform.

If the Chartered Organization is an Orthodox Jewish group, it has every right to impose its dress and dietary laws on its members. It can also restrict the units membership to those of its own faith. 

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Absolutely agree.  There were (and are) things in place to handle most if not all of the various membership issues as the local CO has the say as to who can and cannot be a member.  National BSA sort

To me - I've always felt that Scouting was about developing self confidence and leadership skills.  Over their time in the program they go through all kinds of life challenges that they overcome - cam

From the 1911 edition of the Scout Handbook (emphases is mine): Being scout like requires us to show respect to those who's religious beliefs are different from ours. Respect does not require a

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

That is my quibble. Earlier you state lead by example, for which I fully agree, but we don't get to impose our morality as it pertains to membership. You don't get to exclude a scout from membership based on your own personal and religious morality and more than an Orthodox Jewish scouter would get to impose their morality on scouts as a barrier to membership for not following their religious dress code while not in uniform.

Actually the CO's do it all the time. Many COs use the scouting program as their youth program. In general families looking for a troop already know this by the CO's name or reputation. But having specific expectation of their scout unit members and imposing their behavior expectations is not unusual. 

Barry

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

How does a unit accepting gay youth cause any scout to violate the Scout law or oath?

1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

How does a unit accepting gay youth cause any scout to violate the Scout law or oath?

Before  the change on gay youth with our troop it was a subject that we did not bring up or discuss.  Since the change it is a subject that the adult leadership has discussed.  Kids will be kids an make dumb decisions at times and our normal scout is attracted to girls for the most part so as a program we have rules in place that hopefully if followed will keep dumb decisions from taking place.  The issue that our adult leadership has discussed concerning gay youth within the Troop is that know, how do we deal with boys that are attracted   to boys.  and what rules do we need to put in place for this issue. 

As a troop we have not had to face this issue but it is a concern.  

As far as Gay adults, nothing has changed with our troop with the BSA policy change.

56 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

That's silly.  There is a ton of things that were different in 1907 and not used in the BSA.  We use them all the time now.

To follow a strict interpretation of only what was done then doesn't make sense.

Facts are just that and I said they should take precedence (ie, back seat) over opinion. Interpretation is influenced by the opinion of the interpreter. A very subjective outcome. I notice throughout this thread lots of mention of 'interpreting' things. Is there something offensive about facts and objective statements that makes them so discountable?

2 hours ago, FireStone said:

He told me I hate God. That's pretty direct and personal, and I don't think there are many people of faith who would take that lightly. 

I would go back and re-read what he wrote then. Nowhere did he say "Firestone hates god" or anything like that. Fighting irrational with irrational doesn't really work.

I took numbersnerd's suggestion and looked back to see what was actually said.

You can go ahead and hate this God, but you cannot pretend that He approves of what the BSA has done over the last few years. And now we see consequences.

The use of the word (you) in this context is somewhat ambiguous. Did he mean to specifically identify firestone, or did he mean it generally, as in "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"? 

His second use of a pronoun (we) is certainly a general term. When he says, "And now we see the consequences",  he means everyone, not anyone one person or group in particular.

Edited by David CO
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, numbersnerd said:

I would go back and re-read what he wrote then. Nowhere did he say "Firestone hates god" or anything like that. Fighting irrational with irrational doesn't really work.

He quoted me. His reply was directed to me, in response to what I had said. 

12 minutes ago, David CO said:

I took numbersnerd's suggestion and looked back to see what was actually said.

The use of the word (you) in this context is somewhat ambiguous. Did he mean to specifically identify firestone, or did he mean it generally, as in "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"? 

I was under the impression that if you quote someone in a response, you are directing that response to the person quoted. Is that not how this forum works? 

11 minutes ago, FireStone said:

I was under the impression that if you quote someone in a response, you are directing that response to the person quoted. Is that not how this forum works? 

Not always. For example, I just quoted LegacyLost, but I was not directing my response to him. I was responding to numbersnerd.

In that post, I was careful to make this clear by putting in a comment before the quote. At other times, I have separated my comments into two back-to-back posts to make it clear they are not both in response to the same quote.

Not everybody does it this way. It is more a matter of writing style than a hard-and-fast rule.

Edited by David CO
14 minutes ago, FireStone said:

To file a complaint (I should have added), go back to Chapter 16.1 of this topic where that response appears and click on Report post in upper right corner next to IP address.

6 minutes ago, David CO said:

Not always. 

Yes,  in the forum Issues & Politics , it is a little less scoutlike.

@NJCubScouter , @Sentinel947

Edited by RememberSchiff
14 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

To file a complaint (I should have added), go back to Chapter 16.1 of this topic where that response appears and click on Report post in upper right corner next to IP address.

Yes,  in the forum Issues & Politics , it is a little less scoutlike.

@NJCubScouter , @Sentinel947

I disagree. It is not at all unusual for someone to respond to a post with the first sentence/paragraph directed in response to the person being quoted, and then continue with a general discussion in the subsequent paragraphs.

1 hour ago, David CO said:

I disagree. It is not at all unusual for someone to respond to a post with the first sentence/paragraph directed in response to the person being quoted, and then continue with a general discussion in the subsequent paragraphs.

Agreed, but as you and others pointed out LL (and we all) should have been more careful with words so there is no ambiguity.

You can go ahead and hate this God, but you cannot pretend that He approves of what the BSA has done over the last few years. And now we see consequences.

One can go ahead and hate this God, but one cannot pretend that He approves of what the BSA has done over the last few years. And now we see consequences.

IMO, Cotton Mather would have used the latter.

My $0.02

• Upvote 1