Welcome to the forums.

I would say that if the scout just started to hold a leadership position, yes.

The best thing to do in these kind of situations is contact the course organizer and see if he can get in touch with one of the younger boys who took the last course, and have that boy talk to your boy about it.

References go a long way in helping to decide these kinds of things.

I'd think it depends on the Scout.  NYLT is about teaching scouts skills to be a better leader.  The scout has to be at a point in his own personal growth where he could grow from the lessons.

I think it's less about the program than the Scout himself.

Does the scout even want to do NYLT? You don’t always have to go to a training session to learn how to do something. I know myself and others have taught ourselves and are doing just fine.

10 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

Does the scout even want to do NYLT? You don’t always have to go to a training session to learn how to do something. I know myself and others have taught ourselves and are doing just fine.

Just playing Devil's Advocate...

You don't know what you don't know. My son, who just turned 16 in December, took NYLT last summer. He came back with a whole new set of tools that have made him a superior SPL. He also has a new appreciation for what it takes to be a good leader, and he will tell you that it was the best thing he has done in Boy Scouts. The skills taught in NYLT might make you much better than fine.

I went through the older Brownsea 22 program, and staffed one course of the previous JLTC program. Plus seen the results of numurous courses over the years. It all depends on the abilities and desires of the Scout. I have seen some 13 year olds gain from the expereince. I have also seen 13 and 14 year olds greatly challenged by the experience. When I staffed, we had one patrol of 13 and 14 year olds, and only 1 ended up staying the entire week. and completing the course.

I strongly do not recomend under 13. We had one 12 year old in my patrol on a waiver, and he caused more problems than he was worth. Once he was no longer with the patrol, we finally started gelling as a patrol and getting things done.

my son and two other 13yo scouts took nylt last year.  The year before that our troop also had several scouts go and they were either 13 or not much older.  All of the boys enjoyed the experience from what they said.  many of them are going back this year to help.  Not mine :dry: but he was interested in going back earlier in the year and just changed his mind (got lazy...again).  My son implied that a lot of it was just common sense to him.  All of the scouts that went seem mature and had already had several leadership positions before going including PL for some.  If they waited too long, sending them to nylt would seem almost pointless IMO.  

16 minutes ago, thrifty said:

My son implied that a lot of it was just common sense to him.  All of the scouts that went seem mature and had already had several leadership positions before going including PL for some.  If they waited too long, sending them to nylt would seem almost pointless IMO.  

I feel like that I would feel the same way your son did. 

43 minutes ago, AVTech said:

Just playing Devil's Advocate...

You don't know what you don't know. My son, who just turned 16 in December, took NYLT last summer. He came back with a whole new set of tools that have made him a superior SPL. He also has a new appreciation for what it takes to be a good leader, and he will tell you that it was the best thing he has done in Boy Scouts. The skills taught in NYLT might make you much better than fine.

I don’t like saying I’m perfect or fantastic, since nobody is perfect. When you’re SPL for a while, I have been it for 2 years (small Troop), you can easily learn and teach yourself over time. I didn’t even know what a PLC was until like 5 months into my first term. (My Troop didn’t do PLCs before). But hey... my term ends in 2 weeks and officially I can relax!

The boys in my troop who came back from NYLT all fired up and educated, quickly learned how hard it is to translate patrol methods that work with elite motivated members into the average every day sorta patrol.  They gave up after about 6 months...

The #1 problem I've seen with Scouts back from these programs is lack of support from the Scouters in their home troops. We did a post conference meeting when I staffed JLTC, and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the Scouters were not really helpful. Locally we had one new SM who had 3 Scouts go through NYLT, and would not let them implement the changes to improve the troop.  Within 6 months, they either Eagled and left, or transferred to a troop that does support NYLT scouts.

31 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

support from the Scouters in their home troops.

I heard that.  As SM, I endorsed NYLT techniques; but I was hoping that the scouts could convince their peers where I had failed.  Boy led, and all that.

One or two lazy patrol members can mess up a lot of good intentions. 

It depends a bit on the maturity and drive of the youth. It is a great program, and when I have staffed NYLT 20% or more are 13 and don't have significant problems with the course. 

Talk to the course Director or senior youth staff and see what they suggest.

If you are still unsure, send him next year or at 15yo. But I would suggest not waiting until he is 16. He will still gain valuable skills and have a good experience at that age, but he will benefit from having those skills and training for 2 more years, when it is a greatest impact if he goes sooner.

But as in all things, do what is best for your youth.

7 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I strongly do not recomend under 13. We had one 12 year old in my patrol on a waiver, and he caused more problems than he was worth. Once he was no longer with the patrol, we finally started gelling as a patrol and getting things done.

Hah - that was me.  I took JLT as a 12 (11 maybe) year old.  Didn't work so well.