How do we select and vote/install a new SM

We have a live, breathing volunteer who has been with the troop for a while, 3 years. Our current SM wants to quit. He travels all the time.

How do we go about selecting a new SM? Do we have to open it up more to others? Do we vote? Is there a procedure?

The Troop Committee Guidebook explains the procedure. I don't have it in front of me so I'm not going to risk telling you what I think it says. Refer to it. I have done a Google search on "Troop Committee Guidebook" before and found where some scout websites have it online. If you don't have a copy and can't get to your council office or scout shop to buy or look at a copy, try the online search.

OK, I'll tell you what I remember. Warning, that and 10 cents will buy you a cup of coffee. The Committee Chair is responsible for finding candidates and reviewing their gualifications with the approval of the COR and probably the IH. Check me out on that though.

Unfortunately, often it is any warm body that will agree to do it and it gets rubber stamped.

The link provided above leaves out the approval process. before visiting the candidates they must be approved by the Committee Chair, and either the Charter Oganization representative or the Charter Organization Institution Head. A vote of the unt committee is not required. Approval by the CC, and COR or IH, is.

BW,

According to the Troop Committee Guidebook, the IH or COR approval comes after the Committee has made a selection, approached the candidate and secured a completed registration form.

Step 5

Have the prospect complete an application to join the Boy Scouts of America. It is the responsibility of the committee to review and screen the application. Individuals who have lived in the community for three or more years and are known to members of the committee well enough for them to serve as a reference should require little additional screening.

Conduct a reference check on those who are new to the community as well as those who may be new to volunteer Scouting. References should be checked in a discrete, non-threatening manner, and previous Scouting experience should be confirmed.

Upon approval, the application is signed by the chartered organization head or the chartered organization representative, and is submitted to the local council. All leaders registered with the Boy Scouts of America must meet its standards for leadership.

Think about that Beaver. Do you really want to ask someone to do the job, show them the resources, get their application, only to have the CO tell you they do not approve of that operson? Thats not a second visit I want to make.

Yes, get the CC and COR or IH's signature after the applicant signs the application, BUT get their approval on the individual before you offer them the position.

Normal excepted protocol is usually the CC delegating the task to a nomination committee or person. That committee or person searches and weeds out the possible candidates. The CC can be part of the process, but more often than not, they wait it out to approve the nominating committees selection or at least a final list. It is at the point they can sign off and accept or disapprove and ask the committee to continue keep looking.

Our troop has done it this way as well as our District and Council Committee. In fact, we just got a new CE from the same process.

Barry

A candidate of SM should be willing to complete training on being a Scout Leader.

The scoutmaster handbook is a good thing to review for the qualities the SM should have.

A good maxim is work your strengths and delegate your weakness.

"It must be nice to live in world where more than one person is qualified for AND wants to be the SM."

Sure would be nice. I've heard of troops that actually have a significant number of people applying for the job and conduct a formal interview process.

Here is one method to use in the search.

During the initial process, make a list of prospects. Don't make the mistake in believing that there is just one or none available. The C. Organization, the Scout Troop's parents, the D.E., and other Scouter's may know of people that have shown an interest or suspected of an interest. After the list is made, then review the list with the Troop Committee and all parties that will need final approval. This may take some time to find out about those on the list.

Work the approved list from the top down. Make an appointment with each person in their home to consult with them about making their decision. Their wife needs to be present. This is a time and work commitment and everyone needs to know what is expected.

You may need to let each person think about their decision, so work each prospect as if they are the one. As each one declines, then go to the next one on the list. This is a critical job and each person needs to feel special. Needless to say, the list is confidential, so do not tell anyone that does not need to know who is on the list and who declined, who was not approved, who is at the bottom or top, etc.

Since the list is pre-approved, when a person accepts, those that need to give final approval will already know something about the person. It will also decrease the time needed to give final approval. If the person is not a Scouter, that will also delay the approval time. i

The other specifics on the official process should fit nicely into this method. If not, I am sure someone here will fill in the blanks.

FB

(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

Additional comment for above:

When visiting the prospect, it is best to take at least two other persons with you. Pick carefully. Try to take along one or two persons that the individual would respect or be working under in the C.O. Examples to take along would be the pastor or the Chair of the board of the CO. Other people to consider taking would be the D.E. or the District Chairman or the District Commissioner. You want to get the right person for SM, so the extra effort is necessary.

Remember to ask for the visit to be in the home of the prospect. It puts them on an even playing field with it tilted in their direction just a little.

One thing to add to Fuzzy's posts:

Remember that if you start at the top of the list, every person you ask to be Scoutmaster is your #1 choice. Use that.

They're #1 because everyone above them on the list has said no.

If the guy or gal you ask first says "yes," you're still good. If the last guy/gal say "yes," you're still good.

Of course whoever you ask will probably be the last person you ask. It's an old axiom: "Why is it that you find something in the last place you look?"

Answer: "Because you stop looking after you find it."

Unc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your advise and suggestions. They have been really helpful. I have forwared them to the Committee chair. I think we really have only one individual interested, but we have another interested in 3 years with a younger son. Both nice gentlemen.