Scout Dishonesty During an Eagle Project

Not complicated:

• SM coaches the boy. If something comes up that is over the SM's head, he may call the DE, UC, or go to round-table and talk to the DAC, or simply ask the CC the best course of action. But at the end of the day, how the SM coaches the boy is his call.
  • CC "coaches" the parent. If something comes up that is over the CC's head, the above resources as well as the COR and are available to him/her. Under no circumstances is a parent to be belligerent to any adult or youth. Period.
  • COR represents the CO. So if this matter involves them, he/she may have something to say. He or she may remove registered parent(s) from the roster if they are not acting in accordance with the general expectations of the CO.

These key-three may get advice from the committee, or even the PLC. But they are not obligated to do so for every decision -- especially for every advancement.

I once had a CC refuse to sign an Eagle application. The scout called me about it, and bottom line: he did not complete all of the requirements as written. Some adults were sweeping observations of that fact under the rug, CC caught wind of it, and decided the buck stops with him. No meetings required. I congratulated the boy on aging out as a Life scout.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

"Lied to the committee" ... Sometimes it's a viewpoint issue and sometimes it's a shade of truth.  Perhaps he meant he was about to do something and did not correct himself.  Perhaps he thought he was correct but wanted to not emphasize something. Perhaps ... "Lied" is often thrown out too quickly and the situation needs to be understood better.

Parent getting physical with troop leaders ... Yeah, this would be a stopping point for me.  When that happens (or even close), trust is lost and safety is a concern.  Perhaps time passing and tempers will cool.  But if not, the family needs to go elsewhere.  This is clearly one of my personal thresholds.  

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

I'm a CC and I think the Committee needs to take a step back here.

A large part of Scouting is providing an environment where Scouts can learn and grow.  You've got a young scout who made a mistake.  Let the scout and the SM deal with it and move on.  The point here is to coach the scout, help him to see his error, and then figure out how to move forward.

Correct.  Reasons why this is correct.  The project was approved by the unit committee and the Scoutmaster.  The issues above about the scout meeting with  a specific person to reviewed the proposal and photos of the project should have been address before the unit committee approved the project.  If the unit committee has questions about the status of the project they need to ask the SM not the scout.

I'm with Q and Parkman, interactions with the scout should be between the Sm and the scout.  If the committee has questions they should go through the SM.  The scout answers to the SM, the SM answers to the committee.  Lots of different adults asking questions of and getting answers from a scout is never a good idea and will be open to a lot of different interpretations.

From he Eagle Project Workbook here are the approvals necessary for a project to proceed.

Pretty clearly the interactions are supposed to be between the SM and the scout, not the SM and the committee.

Unit Leader Approval

I have reviewed this proposal and discussed it with the candidate. I believe it provides impact worthy of an Eagle Scout service project, and will involve planning, development, and leadership. I am comfortable the Scout understands what to do, and how to lead the effort. I will see that the project is monitored, and that adults or others present will not overshadow him.
Signed

Unit Committee Approval

This Eagle Scout candidate is a Life Scout, and registered in our unit. I have reviewed this proposal, I am comfortable the project is feasible, and I will do everything I can to see that our unit measures up to the level of support we have agreed to provide (if any). I certify that I have been authorized by our unit committee to provide its approval for this proposal.
Signed

A Committee should not speak with the Scout, leave this to the Scoutmaster and perhaps Eagle Scout Service Project Coach.

I prefer smaller "working group" rather then a Committee, especially when sensitive, emotional, etc situations are involved.  Thus the parents could meet with a delegation of the Committee (Chair, Advancement, etc) and maybe Scoutmaster.  If you wanted to bar the parent(s) from Troop functions and involve Chartered Organization property... yeah you should consult with the COR and/or IH.

Lied to the committee?  I'd ignore all the misdirection about who should and should not talk to the candidate.  He didn't shade the truth to his best buddy about kissing a girl.  He lied.  About advancement.  To the committee. 

For safety, he has to re-start the project to approved specs. 

But to escape further consequence for lying?  I thought he was up for the highest honor in scouting...

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 10:00 AM, FaithfulScouter said:

The project was a renovation of an exterior structure and the Scout was to speak to an Assistant Scout Master who is a builder.  The Scout tried to set up a time with the ASM but did not follow up when the initial time was not within the ASM's schedule.  

What does "initial time" mean? 

Was there an agreed upon time to meet?

It sounds like there may be a misunderstanding.  I would let them regroup and try again.  This is called, a learning experience.   Kids screw up all the time.

Or you can kick him out of the troop, ban his family and curse him for life.   I don't know what BSA says about punishing scouts, but if you seek to punish the Scout, I think you may need to check your scope of practice as a Scouter. 

Edited by WisconsinMomma
  • Upvote 2

Sad but true.   Parents?   Only as necessary. Talk to, deal with the Scout. It is his rank to earn, not the parent(s).  The Scout may need to deal with "dad".   I have been in some meetings where the dad/mom did all the asking, and we had to keep directing the questions/answers to the Scout, and effectively ignore the parent. 

Safety issues?   Direct the Scout to the County Building permit office. If the structure  is on the CO's land,  they do not want to have to deal with "after effects" if it is wrongly done.    Scoutson wanted a "barn" for his 4H rabbit projects.  We included him in all the planning, permitting (this is not a SHED, it is a 30 by 12 BARN) , costs, reviews, inspections...   An education for all of us, especially him .

Deal with the Scout. Let him deal  with the parent.