BSA Executive Salaries

58 minutes ago, David CO said:

I suppose that one's opinion on that might depend on how much money they make. 

wow.....lets not beat around the bush anymore. You just straight up dislike the whole idea of professional scouters, no matter how much good they do

You should really check out our salary broken down hourly. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's a lot of hate for those in the profession, including me when y'all don't even know me. I mean I get it, there are A LOT of bad, even crooked Pros out there. Whatever, it's not gonna stop me fr

The economist in me smiles at this statement. This truth applies to almost anything we do. That said, and I'm not trying to defend some of the boneheaded things coming out of Texas, the great U.S of A

District Director is a  DE who supervises 1 other DE, usually in another district. Next step up is a Field Director, who supervises multiple DEs and DDs. DEs Are suppose to be serving in the ba

2 minutes ago, carebear3895 said:

wow.....lets not beat around the bush anymore. You just straight up dislike the whole idea of professional scouters, no matter how much good they do

You should really check out our salary broken down hourly. 

Salary is consistent with what I was making when I got out of the Navy and college with similar work hours.  Especially considering the possibility of an 80% pension!  Sorry, no sympathy here.  

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, walk in the woods said:

Sorry, no sympathy here.  

Didn't ask for it, bud. I just think some who are very negatively biased about our jobs and I'm trying to clear up some misconceptions. Thank you for your service

Many, many, many vols are great people and want to help pros succeed. Just like anything there are people that arent so nice.

My experience was that there are some vols that are jealous and some that are offended that professionals get paid to do the hobby the vol does for free. There is animosity among some vols.

Only Professionals, former professionals and their families realize how much they commit and sacrifice to a volunteers hobby.

I know I’m getting under some volunteers skin but for volunteers it’s just a hobby, how much or how little time you put into it, it’s still an extracurricular activity...a hobby.

For professionals it’s their livelihood, the way they make there living and 99% are UNDER appreciated.

• Upvote 2

If you have a “bad” or “worthless” DE, we’re they a scout?, makes a difference. Are they getting adequate training/mentoring from council? Maybe they aren’t.

Most importantly does the DE care? Or is it just a job, a paycheck till something better comes along.

The question you should ask yourself...Ask not what your DE can do for you, what can you do for your DE.

• Upvote 1

I really appreciate your insight into the DE role.  I appreciate working with my DE as he's been outstanding.

5 minutes ago, FormerProfessional said:

The question you should ask yourself...Ask not what your DE can do for you, what can you do for your DE.

I expect you'll see some pushback on this comment.  I get what you're saying.  I find the majority of Scouters view the DE like other district & council level scouters.  Those higher level Scouters are ultimately there to help units succeed.   So while yes, we all want to help each other - most volunteers are not looking at how they can help a DE out.

One thing that I think would help here is the development of a "purpose statement" for the DE role.  What is the primary goal of the DE?  For example - the DE is not there to do all the work of the district or to even lead the district.  That's the purpose of the District Committee.  The DE is there to advise the District Committee, but not replace it.

In my mind, the role of the DE can be summed up as:
- professional advisor to the district staff
- second level problem solver for units in the district
- champion for growing Scouting in the district
- district level representative for the professional staff of the BSA

Not sure if that's really how it works, but that's always been my understanding.  I went looking for a better definition, but couldn't find one.

15 minutes ago, FormerProfessional said:

Many, many, many vols are great people and want to help pros succeed. Just like anything there are people that arent so nice.

My experience was that there are some vols that are jealous and some that are offended that professionals get paid to do the hobby the vol does for free. There is animosity among some vols.

Only Professionals, former professionals and their families realize how much they commit and sacrifice to a volunteers hobby.

I know I’m getting under some volunteers skin but for volunteers it’s just a hobby, how much or how little time you put into it, it’s still an extracurricular activity...a hobby.

For professionals it’s their livelihood, the way they make there living and 99% are UNDER appreciated.

So you are saying that those of who feel that executive salaries should be limited are not nice, jealous, and full of animosity

Some Scout Executives are overpaid. Google your councils 990 tax form. It has senior management salary on it. It will be a few years old but it’s public info. Some councils post it on the council website. Sam Houston Area Council, Houston TX does.

I am saying there are some volunteers that have an ax to grind because professionals get paid and they do not.

1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

I really appreciate your insight into the DE role.  I appreciate working with my DE as he's been outstanding.

I expect you'll see some pushback on this comment.  I get what you're saying.  I find the majority of Scouters view the DE like other district & council level scouters.  Those higher level Scouters are ultimately there to help units succeed.   So while yes, we all want to help each other - most volunteers are not looking at how they can help a DE out.

One thing that I think would help here is the development of a "purpose statement" for the DE role.  What is the primary goal of the DE?  For example - the DE is not there to do all the work of the district or to even lead the district.  That's the purpose of the District Committee.  The DE is there to advise the District Committee, but not replace it.

In my mind, the role of the DE can be summed up as:
- professional advisor to the district staff
- second level problem solver for units in the district
- champion for growing Scouting in the district
- district level representative for the professional staff of the BSA

Not sure if that's really how it works, but that's always been my understanding.  I went looking for a better definition, but couldn't find one.

A DE is responsible for Membership Money Manpower and dont read to much into this but the face of scouting within the district. The DE is the council representative to the public. Charter Partner visits, Charter Partner Agreements (Goldenrod), United Way, civic clubs, new unit sales calls and building relationships with the public.

Any current or former DEs please add to this post on what you do that I may have overlooked.

As for a problem solver, it’s always best for another volunteer to resolve volunteer problems if possible. It could be a vol from another unit, UC, DIstrict Commissioner or Council Commissoner if necessary.  You need to be aware the DE, or council management will counsel whoever goes to help. Managent May tell the DE who in turn tells the vol what to say/do.

1 hour ago, FormerProfessional said:

A DE is responsible for Membership Money Manpower and dont read to much into this but the face of scouting within the district. The DE is the council representative to the public. Charter Partner visits, Charter Partner Agreements (Goldenrod), United Way, civic clubs, new unit sales calls and building relationships with the public.

Any current or former DEs please add to this post on what you do that I may have overlooked.

As for a problem solver, it’s always best for another volunteer to resolve volunteer problems if possible. It could be a vol from another unit, UC, DIstrict Commissioner or Council Commissoner if necessary.  You need to be aware the DE, or council management will counsel whoever goes to help. Managent May tell the DE who in turn tells the vol what to say/do.

What do you see as the relationship between the district volunteers and the DE? 

For example - what is the DE supposed to do compared to the district finance chair? The DE compared to the membership chair?  The DE compared to the District Chair?

I appreciate that to the othet professionals, the DE has accountability that stuff gets done.  But - if things are functioning correctly and the district committee is doing it's job - what's the thinking?

I probably should have been clearer when I said problem solver.  Generally I turn to the Unit Commissioner for volunteer issues.  My questions for the DE are generally more about dealing with the council staff.  I figure the DE has better insight into council operations than my unit commissioner.

4 hours ago, FormerProfessional said:

"just a hobby"  I'd reasonably suspect that for most volunteers... it's a purpose, one with real world ramifications and they pour their souls into the task because it means more to them then just a paycheck, it means personally affecting each and every youth they come across in ways that will profoundly change the trajectory of their lives and enrich their communities and ultimately the world at large.  I know very few volunteers that think of being a Scouter akin to playing with lego or collecting stamps. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, FormerProfessional said:

No a hobby is something I do when I have time.  Scouting is something I make time for.  However, your comment is consistent with the contempt I've felt from many professional scouters.

• Upvote 4

Think of it like this, Troops should be youth  led. The same is true for districts in a way. Districts should be volunteer led with the DE serving as an advisor. 

The DE should be at ALL district functions/events/activities. The DE should be approachable to anyone including youth in an appropriate situation. 

For a district to function well there has to be a solid Key 3 District Chairman, District Comissioner, DE. They need to meet frequently. I met with the best district  chair I had multiple times a week, the 2 of us for lunch,  sat by him at rotary, and would see him in his office to talk about things. He then would visit with the district committee members and discuss with them what was appropriate for their position. Then the chair reports back to the DE.  The same relationship applies to the District Commissioner for commissioner duties.

It is a tedious process but it’s volunteer led and keeping the DE informed. The DE and the chair should have a relationship so that the DE can talk to the membership, finance or whatever chair on occasion and no one gets offended or feels like toes were stepped on. 

The system seems antiquated with modern communication. 

One thing vols need to keep in mind, Scout Executives, the more tenured and in larger councils feel there is a chain of command. They want everyone including staff to follow the chain.  Please do not overstep your DE.

12 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

"just a hobby"  I'd reasonably suspect that for most volunteers... it's a purpose, one with real world ramifications and they pour their souls into the task because it means more to them then just a paycheck, it means personally affecting each and every youth they come across in ways that will profoundly change the trajectory of their lives and enrich their communities and ultimately the world at large.  I know very few volunteers that think of being a Scouter akin to playing with lego or collecting stamps. 

Do you think only volunteers feel this way? That professionals don’t? If you do believe that you have offended every professional that cares. There are many that care.

5 minutes ago, FormerProfessional said:

One thing vols need to keep in mind, Scout Executives, the more tenured and in larger councils feel there is a chain of command. They want everyone including staff to follow the chain.  Please do not overstep your DE.

Chains of Command are funny things, they run two directions.  I can't count the number of times a DE has directly contacted a Cub Master or Den Leader instead of working through the Commissioner or Committee Chair.